Looking at '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4wd 4.0L...Opinions needed! Please step inside...

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Found what I think is a good deal on a solid '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 door 4.0L inline 6...It's auto, 4wd, and 195k miles on it. From talking to owner he's second owner, inherited from his parents and has thoroughly maintained it since new. Currently needs A/C recharge and rear shocks replaced. He told me brakes are all new, fairly new battery, water pump replaced...Asking $1350 for it...Is this a good deal? Says it was his DD up until a month ago when he bought new Jeep...Told me it doesn't leak oil and runs real strong...I'm going to check it out in person tomorrow. What you guys think? What should I look out for?? :pop:

Looking at this for beater/off road fun toy to fix up a little and have fun with.:beer:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
4.0l are brutes. But 200k is 200k. I am always nervous of ac recharge buys. Some are $150 fixes while others need a $750 top to bottom rebuild.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Not sure of the A/C issue, could be anything. As far as the jeep goes, that combo is tougher than a bag of hammers. I'd rock it for $1300 without a second thought. Very easy to build those into a weekend warrior. That one will be a D30 HP (the "good" one) front, and the rear will be a D35 (junk) or a chrysler 8.25. The rear can be swapped out pretty easy for a 8.8 from a 97-00? explorer, they have disc brakes and you can match the gearing if you get the right one, (3.55/3.73/4.10's). No real issues with that vehicle except poor fuel economy and it's unibody so keep the jumping to a minimum unless it's caged/"frame" plated. Look up jeep speed to see what guys are doing with them.

I had an 01 cherokee classic with a custom 3 link long arm suspension and the D30/8.8 with 4.88's and 37's that I wheeled the hell out of while stationed in the UK.

Last edited:

jenkins_1120

Established Member
the top bolts for the rear shocks will most likely be seized up and break off so thats a fun time drilling and taping holes for the new hardware, it happend to my old cherokee.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
For $1300 I'm expecting it to be a beater as I mentioned in the OP lol...

THANK YOU so much everyone for the feedback. I've ready good things about these Jeeps and this makes me feel even better about purchasing a used one with the 4.0 Inline 6...I know it's a badass motor that'll run forever if maintained right!

kook911

Established Member
I have a 87 jeep comanche and have 93 jeep cherokee. Both a fun and you can't kill them. They are easy to work on and parts are plentiful from the junk yards. The one thing I would check for is look under the jeep and look at the floor boards. See if they are rusting or have holes through the pan. If you do get it please take some time and look under neath the carpet. Easier to stop the rust before it eats a hole through your pan. More then likely you will have drums in the rear but those can be switch to discs if need be. Also I would check out the fuse panel and make sure that is hasn't been hacked up.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'd spend a bit more for a newer model. 97-99 are probably your best bet and you can still find one for less than 3 grand.

Look for rust in the rocker panels and doors. Make sure the front is a high pinion and the rear diff has a slightly flat bottom so it's not a Dana 35. Transfer case with 2H-4H-N-4L is stronger than the one with all time 4wd.

If you never intend on offroading, don't worry about this stuff and just buy it.

Just a precaution, mine was supposed to be a beater so I didn't have to drive my GT, but it ended up being a totally new and very expensive hobby haha.

IMG_6893.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread