looking at 10.5" cobra r's, what do I need to know?

Shifter

Established Member
My 94 came with 17x9 silver r's and I'd like to put on a set of 10.5's on the back.

I looked them up on discount tire direct and they show 3 different one's?

What do I want and do I need a spacer?

I guess I should figure this out fast as I just ordered 1" spacers...doh!

thanks!!!!

mackj66

Established Member
Don't need a spacer...I have them, and they just slapped right on.
Just make sure the off set and back spacing are correct.

mackj66

Established Member
Mine are +27mm offset with 6.63 inch backspacing. I have 315-35-17 Nitto Drag radials on the back with no rubbing issues what so ever.

They look mean!!!!!!!! No mustang should be without the meats in the back :)

94CobraPace

Established Member
A 1" spacer would make the 9" rims look better, get them out to where they should be & not tucked in the fender. No spacer needed for the 10.5".
It is mean looking with over 12" tire back there. I have 10.5" AFS rims, no problems,

KillrCobra

Established Member
Shouldn't need anything, but it may be a close call with the quadshocks. In that case, you just flip'm around...no big deal. Good luck.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
JoeCobra said:
Shouldn't need anything, but it may be a close call with the quadshocks. In that case, you just flip'm around...no big deal. Good luck.
Sounds sweet. Ill be running 10.5 with 315's out back soon. Where did you guys buiy your tires cause i need to find a good price on some 315's. Prefferably(spl?) nitto dr's or bfg dr's

94CobraPace

Established Member
I got my 315's at tirerack.com . They had a special for Sumitomo 315-35-17 for $122 each, so I jumped on them, they are now around $155. Go to tirerack & do a search for 315-35-17.

mackj66

Established Member
Go straight for the Nittos...they hook like a mudda and aren't expensive.
Discount tire = I got em for $186 a piece.

Shifter

Established Member
I'm up in the air about tires.....I may go with the sumitomo for $155 from tirerack....but I'd like to get the rims/tires from one place....

Discount tire has the rims for $179, Nitto DR's for $182 mounted, balanced, and shipped for free.....

With normal driving, how long do the nitto's last?

mackj66

Established Member
I only drive my snake on the weekends for fun and haven't yet seen the track.
I've had the Nittos on now for about 5 months with about 4000 miles and they are still in very good condition.
I am a conservative driver though and barely ever burn out. I do rip through the gears though.
Also, my car doesn't see rain, but I got caught a couple of times, and the Nittos were barable. As long as there isn't standing water, you should be ok as long as you drive very cautiously. Mustangs in general just suck in bad weather. THe back end wants to go whether it is snow, rain, cold out or anything but nice weather.
Bottom line is this....nothing hooks like a drag radial. (except slicks) If you enjoy the occasional stop light run or a trip to the track you will want the drag radials. If you are this kind of person and you buy the street tire, you will regret it!!

Last edited:

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
you will savethe most money buy shopping around for the wheels. I got all four of my wheels from ebay brand new from AFS for 475 and they are perfect. as for fitting 10.5's your gonna have to bend the parking brake bracket and flip the quad shocks, neither of which is a big deal. you might encounter some rubbing problems with the lower inner fender... take a hammer to it and rub no more

NXGHOST

Established Member
315 Nittos look to narrow on a 10.5" rim. Get the BF drag Radials. Tirerack has them on for $149! Heres a pic of my 96 Cobra with 315 BF drag radials,

Nov_07_2004_005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread