Look at what K&N told me concerning the FIPK

BOOOOST

Established Member
I have no control over what companies are telling their customers. But if you can tell me who, I can make sure some one fixes that. The 57-2523-2 is listed to fit 1996-2001 Cobra's. There is no listing for 2002 or 2003.

Thank you,

Darlene Hernandez á
Technical Support
K&N Engineering, Inc.

http://www.knfilters.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 1:49 PM
To: Hernandez, Darlene
Subject: Re: 2003 Cobra

Several customers are already buying them!

This is the part # I have: 57-2523-2

How is it that K&N claims it's not being made, yet retailers are selling them to customers? Please recheck your information and get back with me at your earliest convenience.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 3:11 PM
Subject: RE: 2003 Cobra

Dear Customer,

There is no FIPK Kit for your vehicle at this time. Please check back in 60-90 days for a possible update. Also you can check our web site at http://www.knfilters.com/ it is updated every Monday with new products.

Thank you,

Darlene Hernandez á
Technical Support
K&N Engineering, Inc.

http://www.knfilters.com

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
They probably figuring they can come out with another part # and raise the price heh

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by bborder
Nothing has changed in the filter housing from 99-2003 cobra's. Its interchangeable from 99-03's.

Exactly!

Here's their latest response:

Until the kit has been emission approved we will not list it even if it is the same kit for the 2001. The reason for this is that all the people that are putting the 57-2523-2 kit on a 2002 or 2003 will fail an emission inspection due to the EO Decal will be incorrect. There are a lot of people that recommend using our filters and kits for applications we do not recommend them for. They forget to inform the consumer that the kit may not be emission legal and if used on a application not intended for the warranty is voided. Hope this helps .

Thank you,

Darlene Hernandez
Technical Support

larryc7777

Established Member
Here's another possible reason that they aren't endorsing that particular filter for the 03. Maybe it doesn't flow well enough to handle the amount of CFM needed for the SCed engine. We flow a considerably greater volume of air than does the NA 99-01 Cobras. No facts to back up this thought, just tossing it out there for consideration.:shrug:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by bborder
Nothing has changed in the filter housing from 99-2003 cobra's. Its interchangeable from 99-03's.

Well, not exactly. I had the K&N FIPK from a 2001 Cobra on my car. IMO, it is not a direct bolt-on to the '03 Cobra. The main reason is the opening on the shield and flare adapter is set up for the 80mm MAF that was on the '01 vehicle. If you install it on the '03 you will partially block off some of 90mm MAF's flow area. This will pose a restriction at higher HP levels. Should be alright on relatively stock cars however.

MJ

P.S. I have a modified one that I'd be willing to part with cheap. PM me with an offer if you are interested.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by larryc7777
Here's another possible reason that they aren't endorsing that particular filter for the 03. Maybe it doesn't flow well enough to handle the amount of CFM needed for the SCed engine. We flow a considerably greater volume of air than does the NA 99-01 Cobras. No facts to back up this thought, just tossing it out there for consideration.:shrug:

You are totally correct at the higher HP levels it does begin to become restrictive. Also, see my other post about the 80mm orifice in the shield and filter adapter.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread