longtubes vs shortys

mikes93cobra

Established Member
on my 93 cobra im running ford racing shorty headers, i have a set of bbk longtubes and a short o/r x pipe sitting in the garage, how much of a gain in hp should i expect and would it be worth the hassle of the installation?

racerbox77

Established Member
looking at your mods I would say it would be well worth the scrapes, cuts, and sweat your going to get. A 331 with an S trim probably another 10 horse and maybe 10 ft lbs. just guessing here.

carguy19

Established Member
Its going to sacrifice the low end torque tho, so yea the car will go faster at the strip but around town driving will be better with the shorties. I vote to stick with the shorties.

The long tubes always have fitment issues and are prone to leaky gaskets.

FoxSnake

Established Member
carguy19 said:
Its going to sacrifice the low end torque tho, so yea the car will go faster at the strip but around town driving will be better with the shorties. I vote to stick with the shorties.

The long tubes always have fitment issues and are prone to leaky gaskets.

I would reconsider installing the longtubes. Maybe on a 4.6L you might lose some seat of the pants torque, but there is nothing but gains to be achieved with longtubes on a five liter. Especially considering you have a blower, the results will only be amplified.

Really, they're not that difficult to install, and BBK is a better fitting header than MAC or others.
They're no more prone to leaks than any other improperly installed set of headers.

With the blower, I would expect anywhere from 20-40rwhp and similiar torque gains.

Last edited:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
I love my longtubes. On the dyno, I think they were worth about 10-12 for me. No leaks to speak of. Our cars aren't known for their low end anyway, and with your mods you won't notice any losses.

rbrown-90

Established Member
I hated my Mac Lt's. One of the pipes went around the steering shaft and rubbed horribly. Went to a Flaming River Rack but it was never right. My 351 will have shorties. They make life easier when you gotta do some work in there!

carguy19

Established Member
fivestangs said:
10-15 rwhp isn't worth the < 1 tenth of a second ET you'll get at the strip, so if it's a street car or mostly street/some strip, IMHO, it's not worth the hassle.

Mark

Thats what Im saying.. not worth it unless its a race car.

Equal length shorties are the way to go.

racerbox77

Established Member
fivestangs said:
10-15 rwhp isn't worth the < 1 tenth of a second ET you'll get at the strip, so if it's a street car or mostly street/some strip, IMHO, it's not worth the hassle.

Mark
Not worth it? If you have the parts its like horsepower waiting to be unleashed. I thought we were ALL addicted to speed?

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
racerbox77 said:
Not worth it? If you have the parts its like horsepower waiting to be unleashed. I thought we were ALL addicted to speed?

I agree. Why spend all that money on your set up then not attain its reasonable potential? My car isn't tuned to within an inch of its life, but for a daily driver making 300 at the wheels on pump gas--the headers weren't that hard to install and driving that beast to the muffler shop to hook up my hi-flow catted x-pipe was priceless! The sound when you idle; the sound when you're rollin'; 10th of a second at the strip--who cares? I can gain a tenth by practicing; but 10-15 hp isn't just on top. What about the potential torque gain. What if your exhaust happens to be your bottleneck? All the headwork in the world doesn't matter if you can't get air in--or you can't get it out.

Of course, this is my spin...Oh, did I mention how good longtubes look from the side view? Mine tuck up pretty well, but man: nothing says performance like those 8 tubes lurking beneath those frame rails...:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread