Longtubes + o/r x + Stingers = too loud?

MJR0189

Established Member
Hey guys, quick question:

I'm currently running Bassani mid lengths, Bassani o/r x, and SLP Loudmouths on my 03 Cobra. I wanted to try the SLP thing and see what the fuss was about, but this is way, way, waaaay too much. It's literally wake-the-dead loud. People stare at me like I'm a maniac haha. It's the loudest street car I've ever heard, and I really don't like the tone above 2500 RPM. Plus, it draws too much heat from the cops- I've been stopped three times in a month! (No tickets though)

Now, I was thinking about switching to the Bassani cat-back or the Borla Stingers. I want something deep and muscular, but will still roar when I step on it. Will the Stingers be too much, like the SLP setup? Or will it have a deeper tone? I understand that pretty much any set up is going to be loud because of my mid lengths and o/r mid-pipe, but what do you guys think? Bassani cat-back or the Stingers?

svtaddict

Established Member
that setup is loud even with just moderate acceleration i personally have bbk lomgtubes bbk catted h pipe and stingers right now and its still loud i also have an offroad x that was on it when i bought the car it was wake the dead loud. my neighbor says he could hear me jumping on the freeway and this is about three big blocks away i am happier with the catted h and have been trying to trade for magnaflows for a while now to quiet it up some more. but hey im 32 and an old man hehe j/k. but really its just personal preferrance you might like it underpasses and bridges are always fun and it catches motorcycles off gaurd when your louder than they are :)

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I run LT's with a mac pro chamber and Magnaflows.. I am pleasantly surprised on how quiet it is. It sounds really nice. I have tuned SLP loudmouths and in my opinion they are WAYY too loud and sound like S@#T

mgmustang1

Established Member
bassani are sleepers. you would never know how loud my car is until i step on it. slp longtubes o/r x-pipe and bassani bx catback. Think the borla would be just as loud as what you have now. magnaflow might be too quiet not sure of the magnapack which is a bullet type muffler as the stinger.

MJR0189

Established Member
I'm not worried about the volume, or actual loudness, but the tone, if that makes sense. What I don't care for with the SLP setup is the rasp and high pitched cackle/snarl. I want a muscular, deep, growl sound, with just a dash of rasp. I'm leaning towards the Stingers, but I'm worried that they will be too high pitched because of the mid-length headers.

mach1033

Established Member
Get the magnaflows. The stingers will be just as loud as the slp. The magnaflow with off road x will sound great at wot.

mgmustang1

Established Member
bassani is deep sound not raspy. i think a bullet type muffler would be raspy but never had stingers on my car. i know slp is too raspy thats why i did everything slp and bassani catback. doesnt sound raspy at all just a little quiet at idle.

2004Droptop

Established Member
I have a complete Bassani system, mid lengths, catted x and cat back... not too bad but pretty loud when you drop the hammer. Got admit it drones a bit on the highway. Originally I went without cats but I thought it was too loud, cats solved it for me.

Last edited:

svtaddict

Established Member
borlas are raspy, pop, crackle and snarl also from what ive heard chambered mufflers have that deep tone you want nothing like a old 5.0 with single chamber flows aghhhh

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
longtubes + o/r X + stingers will sounds like hell on earth, but so good...so good.

Add a catted X pipe and you will tone it down a bit, still sounds ohh so good, but more tolerable for longer periods.

th_SL382793-quicktime.jpg

This vid is kooks long tubes w/ catted x and borla stingers.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
longtubes + o/r X + stingers will sounds like hell on earth, but so good...so good.

Add a catted X pipe and you will tone it down a bit, still sounds ohh so good, but more tolerable for longer periods.

th_SL382793-quicktime.jpg

This vid is kooks long tubes w/ catted x and borla stingers.

THANK YOU! I've been trying to find a Longtube/catted x/stinger setup for so long. This sounds so good. Any idea if it will sound similar if using Mac LT and different catted x? Also is your system 3" x-pipe or 2.5"

postalbunny

Established Member
If it's too loud add cats... i have bassani mid + o/r x + stingers... sounds great. When I the flow tubes are off and cat's are on it's much quieter. Same sound though.

MJR0189

Established Member
Ok, I've narrowed it down to either the Stingers or the "quiet" cat-back. Is rasp gonna be an issue with the Stingers? It's not the volume of my SLPs that bugs me, it's the tone. I can't stand that blatty, trumpety sound they make. Will the Stingers be "hollow" sounding and raspy, or will they be deeper? Believe it or not, I've never heard Stingers in person, haha, but everything else besides them.

Users who are viewing this thread