longtube headers... bottoming out?

o0rikio0o

Established Member
so i might be getting longtube headers, but i heard that it will lower the exhaust pipes even more and will therefore lead to more bottoming out. i have a pretty aggressive drop where i always scratch up my mufflers and tailpipes on larger-than-normal speedbumps... will i regret getting longtube headers? i'd like to hear from those who currently have longtube headers

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
different manufacturers have different specs....like i heard the mac lt's sit up closer under the car than others and i have heard that kooks tend to hang down lower than others. i have bbk lt's and have not had a problem with bottoming out but i have seen pics of your car and yours sits lower than mine. perhaps someone with a little more knowledge on which ones t get can chime in but like i said, i believe mac may be your best bet thus far.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
the headers them selves aren't that big a problem, they are close to the wheels,so they usually roll right over it since they go up with the wheels. If the rest of it hangs, just install another hanger on the midpipe to pull it up a bit. I have few problems in Texas, but had LOTS of problems in Washington state. The drop offs and stuff there were just much steeper.

o0rikio0o

Established Member
hmmm i see what you mean. when its light outside, i'll post some pics of what it currently looks under my car (as far as clearance goes)...

and the ones that i might buy are bbk longtubes 1 5/8.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
I have kooks, which are very low LTs, and bottoming out is even worse, but its not to the point where I regret my LTs. I already have a nice, aggressive stance and it just made it worse. But there is good news. I rarely, if ever, actually hit my headers over speed bumps etc. What usually hits is the part where the headers connect to my H pipe, or just my H pipe. The cheaper part of the setup is what gets banged up, plus my H pipe is pretty think steel so I don't worry about it tearing or being punctured/dented. Also my car is a DD and it works just fine. I say go for the LTs!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
+1, I guess i should add what got hung up on mine was the midpipe or mufflers. It would pull the midpipe off my headers, good thing the Hookers are slip fit.

SVT1012

Black on Black on Black
Established Member
I have BBK LT's and I have never had a problem personally with them bottoming out. However, the previous owner must have because when I had my car up on the lift the day after I bought it, the LT's had road rash on them and had obviously hit the ground pretty hard. Chances are the guy I bought it off of was on his final joy ride and decided to do something stupid. In the year and a half I have had it I have never bottomed out.

o0rikio0o

Established Member
I have BBK LT's and I have never had a problem personally with them bottoming out. However, the previous owner must have because when I had my car up on the lift the day after I bought it, the LT's had road rash on them and had obviously hit the ground pretty hard. Chances are the guy I bought it off of was on his final joy ride and decided to do something stupid. In the year and a half I have had it I have never bottomed out.

what kind of drop do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread