long tubes causing codes?

v6mustang164

Established Member
I need to get my recently purchased 99 cobra emissions tested. I has bbk lts, catless h, and magnaflow cat back. It is throwing p0153 and p0133. They say the O2 sensors aren't heating up fast enough. It has bosh O2 sensors. I have seen other places say the lts can create that code. Should I try motocraft sensors or what do you guys think I should try?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Are these codes for the sensors on the upstream or downstream? Having an offroad midpipe is going to throw codes for your downstream sensors. The only option you really have is getting the car tuned and turning the sensors off. If your codes are for the upstream sensors, they made need to be replaced.

warpd

Established Member
Both of those codes are slow response codes, meaning the oxygen sensors are not updating the information they are sending the ECM fast enough. Typically you see these codes set from old worn out o2 sensors. As they get older they become sluggish. I don't see how they could be set from longtubes. Did you just put the longtubes on and the MIL came on or has it been that way?

These codes are for the upstream o2s.

v6mustang164

Established Member
Well I bought the car cheap with a bad clutch. Replaced the clutch, then it was throwing tons of weird codes rich, lean, mis in cyc 2, mis in cyc 7, ect.. So I replaced the wiring harness. That cleared up all the other codes except these two codes. The Bosch sensors are pretty new. Could they have been fouled from the rich condition I had from earlier before the new harness?

warpd

Established Member
I doubt it but you could try to take em out and clean em off real quick. They are normally self cleaning.

RED@7K

4VEE4ME
Established Member
when you put LT's on these cars, the trasfer function (02 sampleing rate) needs to be slowed down. the 02's arent getting hot enough and are reading incorrectly. theyre not getting enough because the bungs on the LT's are much further from the motor than on the midpipe.

wouldnt hurt to get some 02's, and get it tuned....

v6mustang164

Established Member
The other places on the web were saying to have it tuned to were the mil cycle takes longer so the o2s can warm up. So can any good dyno tuner do this I am guessing? Does anyone else have this problem on a 4.6 or is this car just weird?

Users who are viewing this thread