Long tube install advice

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
hey guys, looking for a few answers before i get started on my long tube install. i got a set of ceramic coated MAC headers (after the non ceramics were on back order) and they should be here wednesday. i did a search and didnt come up with any answers to my questions

first, someone mentioned high temp RTV on the gaskets to avoid leaks, is this an ok practice?

second, i am running low on funds and cant get locking header bolts in time (pay schedule is all messed up) is it ok to use like a blue lock tite? i know red is probably a bad idea unless i want to torch them off, but id rather not have them come loose.

thanks guys!

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i'd wait till you could get the locking bolts. Also I prefer no loctite or sealent on this application.

Jonny00GT

Established Member
I never had any issues with leaks or bolts backing out using the stock metal gaskets, no RTV, no lock tite, stock studs cut down where needed.

Have you done this before?

-Jonny

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I ran stock replacement gaskets and stock studs on my longtubes. I double-nutted the studs and I never had a single leak and never had to re-tighten them. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than locking-bolts, too...

stradt03

Established Member
I might have a set of unused locking header bolts from my 01 cobra. PM me and I'll look for them tonight.

Jason

tistan

Established Member
definitly run the locking header bolts. My stock bolts backed out on my longtubes. The locking header bolts also allow you to use allen keys to turn them. You just don't know how valuable that is until you try to get wrenches and sockets on some of the bolts.

2001asp

Established Member
I just finished my install not to long ago. I here you on the funds.... But, I would buy a K-member kit $699. It may sound like a lot, but you will be dropping 90lbs and making alot more room in there when you go to work on your Cobra in the future. So, I would drop the stock K-member(I did this in 1 morning) Then install the headers...Stock gaskets/stock hardware....Then install new K-member kit,,,,Use Maximum motorsports website for the install instructions. You will need 4 plum bobs..... I can expand on this a little later. The performance is awesome....I mean awesome.....I love my setup and your will be too, but I would STRONGLY recommend a Replacement K-member Kit. I bought the UPR KIT...In the long run,,,Its your car and money do what you want....Just my 2 cents.....

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I used Copper RTV, stock studs/nuts, and gaskets. No leaks here. I did not upgrade my K member, but I would also advise replacing it while you're at it. A 7/16 ratchet wrench will also become your best friend.

99MystiC

Established Member
I installed the mac LT and i have the tubular k. Made life soooooo easy cant even explain. I used headers gaskets from MMR and the stock bolts.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
When ever I install header I flat plane grind the header face plate, use a good copper gasket, and header studs.

zPipes

Established Member
if he doesnt take em i will. at least one of mine is bad, been coding for a good 6 months now. i hate that light...

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
if he doesnt take em i will. at least one of mine is bad, been coding for a good 6 months now. i hate that light...

He's talking about an extension harness so you can plug sensor 1 in on both banks, not a sensor.

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
yea i meant extension as in so i plug the first set of o2's in when i put the long tubes in, im almost sure my wires wont be long enough

Users who are viewing this thread