long tube headers. worth it?

hi_po_heads

Established Member
wondering if anyone has done a before and after dyno with long tubes. i just installed an o/r x with my stock manifolds and want everyones opinion on:

is it worth the time and effort to fight with installation of long tubes,
and spend the money replacing my new midpipe for the lt's. i dont have a lift to work with,so it will be done on jack stands which makes it hard to remove kmember. can they be installed without dropping the k member?

what kind of hp gains are typical? my car is stock except for the o/r x and weld in flows. thanks

also wanted to add that i searched and didnt find dyno results.

Last edited:

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
wondering if anyone has done a before and after dyno with long tubes. i just installed an o/r x with my stock manifolds and want everyones opinion on:

is it worth the time and effort to fight with installation of long tubes,
and spend the money replacing my new midpipe for the lt's.

what kind of hp gains are typical? my car is stock except for the o/r x and weld in flows. thanks

also wanted to add that i searched and didnt find dyno results.

I personally think its worth it. I did not dyno mine but felt the difference immediately. The install took me 3 hours. It wasent that bad. I actually got my install directions off this site and followed them and they were exact.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
gains are not worth the PITA install UNLESS you will be adding other mods in the future. works best with a good combo of other intake upgrades (port, CAI/RAI, Throttly Body, MAF etc...) or blower.

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
15-30hp seems to be about the norm with a tune. Seems a tune is the key after install for most. If your not paying to have it done then it's worth it. Tough job without a lift though. Buy good ones, Kooks are the best IMO.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
15-30hp seems to be about the norm with a tune. Seems a tune is the key after install for most. If your not paying to have it done then it's worth it. Tough job without a lift though. Buy good ones, Kooks are the best IMO.

with BBK long tubes o/r h-pipe and no cats I was 289 rwhp with almost no other mods

hi_po_heads

Established Member
gains are not worth the PITA install UNLESS you will be adding other mods in the future. works best with a good combo of other intake upgrades (port, CAI/RAI, Throttly Body, MAF etc...) or blower.

i do plan to get a jlt rai,diablo predator,and a tune, later down the line. i would like to get lt's just not sure that i want to fight to get them in if its a minimal gain.

01bluesnake

Established Member
since my last dyno run all i added was the kooks headers and o/r x vs. stock mani and bassani o/r x. i plan on throwing mine on the dyno in about 2 weeks. i guess i'll see what i gained, but from driving it around it's alot more responsive.

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
with BBK long tubes o/r h-pipe and no cats I was 289 rwhp with almost no other mods

with the average cobra putting down 260-270 stock thats pretty good without a tune. Probably get 10-12 more hp with a tune. I would love to do them, but I will wait until I buy my MM tubular k and do everything at once.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I noticed a big difference going to SLP long tubes. I'll be getting another dynotune soon.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
with the average cobra putting down 260-270 stock thats pretty good without a tune. Probably get 10-12 more hp with a tune. I would love to do them, but I will wait until I buy my MM tubular k and do everything at once.

that was with a tune. sorry...should have been more specific! And its a GREAT idea to do the K-member at the same time

Last edited:

tguns6165

Established Member
Longtubes

I used Dynomax/Hooker with o/r x and it was totally worth it! They fit great and i instantly felt a noticeable power gain even without tune. With SCT chip, JLT cold air and exhaust it later made 325hp/322tq at Walsh Motorsports.

Bart7279

Established Member
Well I did the Mac L/T with a Mac Prochamber and Flows. Replaced the Stock manifolds with the L/T's and felt a difference.. I'm sure a tune would help.
As for doing it on Jack Stands.... best of luck. There is little room to work and it can be done without dropping the K-member but it seriously will test your patience. Best advice would be to have a set of ratcheting wrenches and some extensions and angles. We did it on a lift, but didn't drop the K-member. Took several hours, but it was worth it IMHO.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I have done 3 sets of LTs on jackstands OP, it's not THAT bad of an install. A lift would make it much easier though. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll try to dig up the write up I used the first time around.

those are high numbers. thats unusual with only the mods listed

My car made 282/289 bone stock. After LTs, o/r x and cb, she put down 324/324 with a tune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread