Long tube headers on a 2.9 whipple

gtmustang00

Established Member
What brand and size long tube headers are people running? Stock k member. What brands tend to fit the best?

Will my fuel system be enough? Currently 2.9 whipple, 3.5 upper 4lb lower. 24.75 lbs of boost. Was going to go long tubes and 3.00 or 3.25 upper. Fuel system is fore hat, gt pumps, 2 fpdm's, 60lb injectors.

gtmustang00

Established Member
What size primaries? Also, If I get the 3" collectors with 3" x pipe will that mate up with my 2.5" Bassani catback?

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
What size primaries? Also, If I get the 3" collectors with 3" x pipe will that mate up with my 2.5" Bassani catback?

Go with the 1 7/8 inch primaries at your power and boost levels and no they will not mate up to the 2.5" catback but you can have the ends "expanded" and welded to fit. That's what I just had done and in the future you can always just switch to a 3 inch exhaust if you wanted

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If I had to do my build over again, I would have seriously considered a set of Bassani or JBA mid-length headers over my SLP long tubes. The SLP's look great, fit nice, and have given me zero issues over the last 4 years, but long tubes make it a real pain in the ass if you need to do any transmission work. With a mid-length, you get the best of a shorty header and long tube header in one, plus the ability to drop the midpipe and have access to things under the car with ease.

Just my .02

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
I haven't had to do anything transmission wise with the longtubes on but I hear with ARH it's not an issue

ctgreddy

Established Member
^if you get one of the high name headers like kooks or arh then the headers are made much wider so trans stuff is no problem.

OP I'd recommend arh as top or a mac/lethal combo for something cheaper. but my god what kind of fuel are you using? Hopefully it's race gas with that much boost and I'm surprised your head bolts are holding that much.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I have ARH 1 3/4, they fit great and you can pull the trans with them on no problems

gtmustang00

Established Member
^if you get one of the high name headers like kooks or arh then the headers are made much wider so trans stuff is no problem.

OP I'd recommend arh as top or a mac/lethal combo for something cheaper. but my god what kind of fuel are you using? Hopefully it's race gas with that much boost and I'm surprised your head bolts are holding that much.

93 Pump with Torco. I've heard people running 1 5/8 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 lol.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
I have ARH 1-3/4 headers w/ 3in collector with a matching 3in mid-pipe that necks down to 2-1/2 at the catback flange. So, yes you can maintain a 2.5 catback if you would like. I'm pretty sure with the 1-7/8 you have to start grinding your frame rails for clearance.

wesking1

Established Member
Im running ARH 1-3/4 3 inch x pipe that necks to the 2-1/2 for my catback.. fitment is great can remove trans also... i got 2.9 whipple on 25 lbs on e85 and built motor makes right at 800 hp 815 ish tq.. if i was to do it again id do the 1-7/8 but i heard they dont fit with a stock k member could be wrong but i have aftermarket k member so i wouldnt have a problem either way..

D-MANN

Established Member
ARH 1-7/8 fit with no grinding of the frame rails and clear the stock K member. Only thing you may need is a MM steering shaft. If you have a QuickTime bellhousing they will not clear around the starter without modification to the QuickTime.

gtmustang00

Established Member
So the 1 3/4 with 3" collector and 3" X-Pipe will fit my 2.5" Bassani catback? Just trying to decide if I should get the 2.5" or 3"

Last edited:

svtshadow

Banned
If you go with larger primaries ie 1 3/4 or 1 7/8, you might as well do 3" No point of using big primaries then choke them with a 2.5" exhaust.

Quick Strike

Established Member
No point of using big primaries then choke them with a 2.5" exhaust.

Actually, there can be a benefit to this. The pulses cool and contract as they move through the system and organize and condense after the X or H. Too large of a pipe after this point slows the velocity of the pulses. This reduces the scavenging effect of the entire system. Lazy and lethargic pules just do not scavenge as well. I have stepped Kooks heades 1 3/4" to 1 7/8", a 3" kooks X with high flow cats and a 2.5" FR500 catback. I am at almost 750 RWHP with that sytem at 22# of boost. I don't think it would be a restriction at 800 or even 850 RWHP. There were some tests results to this end in the exhaust section with a big larger and smaller catbacks a while back. You might want to search back through them before making a decision on the entire system.

gtmustang00

Established Member
I'm in the air about 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" with 3" collectors and 3" x- pipe. Can some people post pictures of their set up and ground clearance? My tuner said 1 7/8" make the most power. Thanks.

Also, do ARH headers come with the provision for the EGR tube?

Last edited:

svtshadow

Banned
Actually, there can be a benefit to this. The pulses cool and contract as they move through the system and organize and condense after the X or H. Too large of a pipe after this point slows the velocity of the pulses. This reduces the scavenging effect of the entire system. Lazy and lethargic pules just do not scavenge as well. I have stepped Kooks heades 1 3/4" to 1 7/8", a 3" kooks X with high flow cats and a 2.5" FR500 catback. I am at almost 750 RWHP with that sytem at 22# of boost. I don't think it would be a restriction at 800 or even 850 RWHP. There were some tests results to this end in the exhaust section with a big larger and smaller catbacks a while back. You might want to search back through them before making a decision on the entire system.

I have 1 5/8 Mac LTs, at what point power level do they become a restriction with a 2.5" Catback?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have 1 5/8 Mac LTs, at what point power level do they become a restriction with a 2.5" Catback?

I have no data, but I would guess by the mid 600s RWHP the larger primaries would show some HP improvement in the higher RPM range.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have arh 1 3/4", fit perfectly and great ground clearance! Never once scraped on anything. I had the headers and x pipe ceramic coated!

Users who are viewing this thread