long tube guys, M6 trans removal question

scott_0

Established Member
I was recently denied warranty on my mt82, I have a sneaking suspicion it was because I have long tubes installed and the tech didnt want to deal with trans removal with the LT's installed. can anyone verify if removal of the mt82 is possible with the long tubes in place? it seems to me there is sufficient room, Ill be removing the trans and taking it to Revolution Automotive for their stage 1 rebuild, or I may just have them do the removal and install, but dont want to pay them extra labor if the LT's need to be removed, Ill do it myself if thats the case.........

Thanks!

Kornilov

Established Member
I was recently denied warranty on my mt82, I have a sneaking suspicion it was because I have long tubes installed and the tech didnt want to deal with trans removal with the LT's installed. can anyone verify if removal of the mt82 is possible with the long tubes in place? it seems to me there is sufficient room, Ill be removing the trans and taking it to Revolution Automotive for their stage 1 rebuild, or I may just have them do the removal and install, but dont want to pay them extra labor if the LT's need to be removed, Ill do it myself if thats the case.........

Thanks!

What was the stated reason for warranty denial? Take it to a different dealer. I cant answer definitively if MT-82 removal requires removing LTs but I would think not. It may make getting the bellhousing fasteners more difficult, but the tranny looks like it should drop out with LTs in place:

m5lp_1101_22_o%2B2011_ford_mustang_gt_bbk_headers_install%2Binstalled_header_view.jpg

Baysixx

Established Member
I dropped my trans out of my car when it went. Just like the pic above, LT's didn't cause any problem.

scott_0

Established Member
thanks for the replies fellas!!! good to hear! the stealership I took it to explained to me that they were denying warranty work, as they simply dont want to do the work, as the car is modified, they didnt even put anything into Ford, I have a feeling the tech saw the long tubes and assumed they'd be added work and he balked, and passed onto the service manager that in turn refused to do the work. I could take it to another dealership, but dont want the hassle, and I really dont want those clowns monkeying with my car, I believe Ill just take it Revolution Automotive for their Stage 1 rebuild.

Last edited:

Kornilov

Established Member
thanks for the replies fellas!!! good to hear! the stealership I took it to explained to me that they were denying warranty work, as they simply dont want to do the work, as the car is modified, they didnt even put anything into Ford, I have a feeling the tech saw the long tubes and assumed they'd be added work and he balked, and passed onto the service manager that in turn refused to do the work. I could take it to another dealership, but dont want the hassle, and I really dont want those clowns monkeying with my car, I believe Ill just take it Revolution Automotive for their Stage 1 rebuild.

Sounds like a den of imbeciles or incompetents or the lazy - none of which you want working on your car. If you still have warranty coverage, by all means make use of it before you go to Rev Auto. While Im certain Rev Auto does excellent work, they certainly dont do it for free. You paid for the warranty one way or another, make them live up to it. Go to another dealer, a good tech wont even blink twice about your LTs.

SCalla1384

Established Member
It probably depends on header brand. I know that's how it was with the 99-04 mustangs.

I have Kooks mid lengths 1-3/4, I removed and installed the transmission on my back. But, it needed some twisting and make the right angles. Wasn't the most fun thing on my back, but it's not hard. The starter "ear" on the transmission was catching one of the primaries, that's where it had to be twisted. Other then that, it should go right in and out.

scott_0

Established Member
It probably depends on header brand. I know that's how it was with the 99-04 mustangs.

I have Kooks mid lengths 1-3/4, I removed and installed the transmission on my back. But, it needed some twisting and make the right angles. Wasn't the most fun thing on my back, but it's not hard. The starter "ear" on the transmission was catching one of the primaries, that's where it had to be twisted. Other then that, it should go right in and out.
again, good to hear! Ill have access to a lift so shouldnt be an issue, Im gonna call Revolution again and check with them and see what they have to say, as I said, I may just have them pull it and reinstall it, just didnt want to pay extra labor if one of the headers needs pulled

SCalla1384

Established Member
The 2nd time i used a lift, had the old broken trans out and new one in, in less then 2 hours. Having a lift makes it extremely easy

PhillyStyle

Established Member
So while yall in the subject, does anyone have any tips or advise for removing and installing the trans with just a stock exhaust? Any tricky bolts, etc...? I have a new clutch and flywheel waiting to go in so I'm weighing the option of doing it myself. I usually just jump right into that stuff but getting old sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread