long range target shooting.

roadwarrior60

Established Member
so.......i know there are a lot of gun owners on this forum. but does anyone on here do any reloading of their own?? if so, anyone do any long range target shooting?? i'm talking over 4 or 500 yards?? what i'm really lookin for is people who are doing/have done 1000 yard shooting. i'm shooting a .308 now, and i know there are crazy amount of different loads out there..........so what do you .308 guys use?? i want all of the details, what cases, powder(with measurements),lead(brand,weight,etc),primers, overall length of finished bullet, etc. and if you feel like including it, what kind of gun(with specs) are you shooting??

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
keep this at the top because i too am interested. i have been building an ar10 for a little while now and the break in is over!!!

Ruslow

Established Member
normally do not reply to threads like this but to help out here goes.I do comp nra high power shooting that gun is a SM M1A, loads for it are LC case,168 bt,large rifle primer,43.8 grains srb118 powder and overal length of 2.803.Devation is less than 15fps.loaded on a dillion press.groups are sub .5 at 200 yards using a rest.the other gun is an Accuracy International using the basicallythe same round [just short of touching the rifling thou]all the same ballistics except sub 1 groups are at 500 yards.Scope is a mark 4 on the AI, iron sights on the SM.Stan

PS I have shot 1000 yards with another gun but can only do that once a year do to the range limitations.it shoots 6 inch groups at that distance.Best I have done with factory loads.Like many of my friends say I can reach out and touch people from far far away!

Last edited:

bodabdan

Brute Force and Ignorance
Established Member
I have done alot of varmint hunting with my Dad but he is the reloading master. I usually dothe cleaning. We generally do pretty well with the prairie dogs at the 400-600 yard range. We shoot .223 and 22-250 mostly. We have had very good success with the Savage 112 BVSS and the other Savage rifles of that series. All are bull barrel single shot rifles with Canjar triggers. Floated and accu-glassed by Dad. Using that rifle with the Tasco World class scopes (from 24x-36x depending on which rifle we are talking about) we have really embarrased some people with 3-5x the amount of money that is invested. A great resource is the Varmint Hunter's Association. They have lots of people who do just what you're talking about. I will tell you this though-the success that you have will be a direct reflection of the effort that you put into your reloading research and testing with each and every rifle. If you don't have the equipment already, keep your eyes open to buy a package deal from someone who is getting out of the reloading hobby. You can save a ton of money that way. Good luck and happy shooting.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
you should go to a gun shop, and ask about alocal long range team/. i have used a 700 rem, and shot out to 1000 meters. we used match rounds. but its been a few years since i have done it.<---- army guy then.

now i have a socom II, 7.62 but its shorter. so im not going to try to shoot as far. also a mark 4 LR/T scope.
i also have a centry arms G3 rep, but its not going to be used for that.

roadwarrior60

Established Member
normally do not reply to threads like this but to help out here goes.I do comp nra high power shooting that gun is a SM M1A, loads for it are LC case,168 bt,large rifle primer,43.8 grains srb118 powder and overal length of 2.803.Devation is less than 15fps.loaded on a dillion press.groups are sub .5 at 200 yards using a rest.the other gun is an Accuracy International using the basicallythe same round [just short of touching the rifling thou]all the same ballistics except sub 1 groups are at 500 yards.Scope is a mark 4 on the AI, iron sights on the SM.Stan

PS I have shot 1000 yards with another gun but can only do that once a year do to the range limitations.it shoots 6 inch groups at that distance.Best I have done with factory loads.Like many of my friends say I can reach out and touch people from far far away!

wow thanks man:beer:
short, sweet, to the point, and gave me all the info i asked for:rockon: the only things i'm doing different are the powder and the o.a.l. i have been using varget on the recommendation of a self proclaimed long range shooting expert that works at cabelas:thumbsup: what are your thoughts on varget?? ever used it?? pros cons?? also if ya feel like posting some pics of that M1A i would love to see it, sounds like an awesome gun:rockon:

roadwarrior60

Established Member
I have done alot of varmint hunting with my Dad but he is the reloading master. I usually dothe cleaning. We generally do pretty well with the prairie dogs at the 400-600 yard range. We shoot .223 and 22-250 mostly. We have had very good success with the Savage 112 BVSS and the other Savage rifles of that series. All are bull barrel single shot rifles with Canjar triggers. Floated and accu-glassed by Dad. Using that rifle with the Tasco World class scopes (from 24x-36x depending on which rifle we are talking about) we have really embarrased some people with 3-5x the amount of money that is invested. A great resource is the Varmint Hunter's Association. They have lots of people who do just what you're talking about. I will tell you this though-the success that you have will be a direct reflection of the effort that you put into your reloading research and testing with each and every rifle. If you don't have the equipment already, keep your eyes open to buy a package deal from someone who is getting out of the reloading hobby. You can save a ton of money that way. Good luck and happy shooting.

yeah i have a regular customer at work who is in a varmint hunting club, and has offered to take me out with them. problem is i just dont have the time. and i shoot savage as well:beer: model 12(instead of 112), also floated(by local shop) and glassed(by me). range in my area only goes out to 200 yards(there is a 1k range, but its not open very often) but with this gun i have shot a quarter, nickel, penny, and then a dime at 200 yards.....consecutive shots, no nicks, all clean cut holes fairly close to center. :rockon:

roadwarrior60

Established Member
you should go to a gun shop, and ask about alocal long range team/. i have used a 700 rem, and shot out to 1000 meters. we used match rounds. but its been a few years since i have done it.<---- army guy then.

now i have a socom II, 7.62 but its shorter. so im not going to try to shoot as far. also a mark 4 LR/T scope.
i also have a centry arms G3 rep, but its not going to be used for that.

what caliber in that 700?? i have one in 7mm mag, and i love it. i just dont use it much. its more of a hunting gun to me, but maybe its time to dust it off and take her to the range:beer:

Ruslow

Established Member
Not farmilliar with that powder.I do know that to have a consistance fps which relates to accuracy you need to fill the cases up and not have alot of free space in there.also how complete the powder does burn.If there is free space the powder will not burn at the same rate each time and thus devation on the fps= inaccuracy.Also stay with the same cases don't mix them there are capacity differences between brands.Also the length of the case need to be the same esp if you are going to crimp them.I use a light crimp on mine just enough so that when it cycles in the action the bullet does not move.Plus how you reload.I do a full length resize on the M1A rifle because the case will distort when cyclingout of the action[psi still in barrel] and just a neck resize on the AI since it is a bolt gun.Stan

Last edited:

roadwarrior60

Established Member
Not farmilliar with that powder.I do know that to have a consistance fps which relates to accuracy you need to fill the cases up and not have alot of free space in there.also how complete the powder does burn.If there is free space the powder will not burn at the same rate each time and thus devation on the fps= inaccuracy.Also stay with the same cases don't mix them there are capacity differences between brands.Also the length of the case need to be the same esp if you are going to crimp them.I use a light crimp on mine just enough so that when it cycles in the action the bullet does not move.Plus how you reload.I do a full length resize on the M1A rifle because the case will distort when cyclingout of the action[psi still in barrel] and just a neck resize on the AI since it is a bolt gun.Stan

yeah all my cases are and have always been the same brand. they are sorted into marked bags so i know how many times they have been reloaded. and i do a full length resize every time, mostly cause i'm kind of anal when it comes to some stuff. i will spend hours making sure every bullet is the exact same o.a.l. just to rule out the simple stuff when it comes to a bad group. powder is measured and then double checked on a digital scale. also, i have heard crimping can cause major variations in velocity, so i dont do it. is there any truth to that??

Ruslow

Established Member
crimping can.But like I said if all the cases are the same length the the crimps should be consistant too.You need to watch out without crimping and cycle the action and remeasure to make sure the bullet has not moved.you only really need to full length if shooting same ammo in different guns and not the same actions.but if you want to be real anal then load for each gun and not as a whole.You would be surpriced how that changes the bullet tradjectory and shot placement at the same range.I load for different guns[ammo specific]but just to have fun and shoot I have a generic load i use.more for pratice on changing shooting positions in comp.ie from standing to sitting then firing.Stan

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take anyone's load as a starting point for reloading!

1. Buy a good book on reloading (I recommend Sierra's Rifle Reloading Book) and read the first several chapters on reloading. Best investment you'll ever make.

2. Note that each rifle is individual in chamber dimensions, freebore, and bore - all of which contribute to pressure.

3. For accurate long-range shooting, you need to ensure that your cases are uniformly sized and trimmed, and matched to the rifle. Start by using a case guage for the caliber you are shooting.

4. Next, get a bullet seating depth guage and good caliper, and learn to seat the bullet to the correct COAL (cartridge overall length) to match YOUR refles's chamber and freebore.

5. Next, choose a powder with a burn rate appropriate to your caliber and bullet weight / profile.

6. Read the reloading manual, and start 10% below the maximum load. Make up about 10 rounds and range test for accuracy.

7. Work up the load in small increments, testing for accuracy and looking for any signs of overpressure. Look to minimize size of the group. Don't worry about hitting the bullseye (you'll zero the sights AFTER getting smallest group).

8. A chronometer is useful, not to get maximum velocity, but to get the smallest possible shot-to-shot variation.

This is by no means a complete list of steps, but should point you in the right direction. You may wish to contact the NRA to locate a local certified firearms instructor with reloading certification.

If you come out to Michigan, PM me, and I'll be glad to show you step by step.

Harry Gilbert
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member and Certified Firearms Instructor

Last edited:

roadwarrior60

Established Member
very good advice my friend:beer:i added some comments into your post that will better explain my questions.
and thanks again for the info:beer::beer::beer:

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take anyone's load as a starting point for reloading!

oh its not a starting point for me, i have been doing it for a while. i was just curoius to see if there were any new combos of types of powder, lead, primers etc that i hadn't heard of

1. Buy a good book on reloading (I recommend Sierra's Rifle Reloading Book) and read the first several chapters on reloading. Best investment you'll ever make.

already own it:beer:

2. Note that each rifle is individual in chamber dimensions, freebore, and bore - all of which contribute to pressure.

3. For accurate long-range shooting, you need to ensure that your cases are uniformly sized and trimmed, and matched to the rifle. Start by using a case guage for the caliber you are shooting.

done and done, i'm VERY meticulous(sp) about my cases. all are the same brand, all are marked how many times they have been reloaded, all are constantly inspected for signs of wear, excessive pressure, etc.

4. Next, get a bullet seating depth guage and good caliper, and learn to seat the bullet to the correct COAL (cartridge overall length) to match YOUR refles's chamber and freebore.

done and done:beer:

5. Next, choose a powder with a burn rate appropriate to your caliber and bullet weight / profile.

this is really what i wanted to know more about when i made the original post:beer:

6. Read the reloading manual, and start 10% below the maximum load. Make up about 10 rounds and range test for accuracy.

7. Work up the load in small increments, testing for accuracy and looking for any signs of overpressure. Look to minimize size of the group. Don't worry about hitting the bullseye (you'll zero the sights AFTER getting smallest group).

8. A chronometer is useful, not to get maximum velocity, but to get the smallest possible shot-to-shot variation.

This is by no means a complete list of steps, but should point you in the right direction. You may wish to contact the NRA to locate a local certified firearms instructor with reloading certification.

If you come out to Michigan, PM me, and I'll be glad to show you step by step.

Harry Gilbert
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member and Certified Firearms Instructor

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well.. currently I don't have an ultra long range target rifle, my longest range rifle is either a Savage 110e 30-06, Remington 700 30-06 or a Remington 700 375 Ultra Mag.. (the 375 definitely hits the hardest, at any range)

the 375 is sighted in for 200 yards, since that's a good range too go hunting with it.. IMR4350 powder (96 gr) behind a 260 gr Nosler Accubond with a Federal 215 primer are the loads for it...

now give me a few weeks and I'll have one of the premier "ultra long range" target rifles, I'll be getting an Armalite AR-50.. what I've read on it, 8" groups at 1000 yards is the normal.. I plan on sighting it in for atleast 1500 yards and will use it for Elk hunting.. get on a high ridge over looking some valleys and wait for the Elk to cross..

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
RoadWarrior60:

You may wish to experiment with coating your bullets (or buying them coated) with molybdenum disulfide. Here's a source for the equipment:

http://www.neconos.com/details.htm

and

http://www.neconos.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=5&cart=131430

NECO also sells QuickLoad computer software to calculate interior ballistics -- the effects of the combination of case, powder, and bullet on pressure and velocity. I find it most helpful when working up new loads.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread