long distance traveling question

Glacius

8 UR POS
Established Member
i will be traveling from the south part of Texas literally 6 miles from the border up to the panhandle. I have a mystichrome and really dont want to take her but at this point i have no choice. So i am curious, for you fellas that travel a lot with your toy, what kind of protection do you use besides a car bra for the front of the car? I have seen previous members on this site use painters blue tape, and was wondering how that went for them? I am really open to any suugestion (minus the bra). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
yeah I have used the blue painters tape, worked like a charm, cheap to buy, easy to tape it up, and comes off clean without any sticky residue...and mine was on the car for like 3 days, thru the rain, and 90 degree weather

168zond.jpg

168zqkp.jpg

168zqx5.jpg

168zr0o.jpg

168zrx1.jpg

towed it most of the trip, but drove it thru the mountains of NC, about 200-300 miles :rolling:

Glacius

8 UR POS
Established Member
haha yes you were the one i saw it with! I remember the VTEC logo lol. Thanks for your input. I am probably gonna go this route. Mystichrome paint aint cheap so i gotta protect the investment lol

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The painters tape seems to be a tried and true method for the most part.

Traditional bra's can flap/wind buff and leave their effects on the paint.

Clear bras are more permanent and quite expensive, not really a short term option.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I had never thought of that. Where do you find painters tape at. The stuff at Walmart sure won't come off easily. It takes paint, joint compound and top layer of dry wall off. I know from experience using it when we built the house three years ago. I have never seen the blue. Thanks anyone for the info.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
drive it, enjoy it and don't worry about it.. (that's my belief) yes I know it's going to get rock nicks etc in the paint, but I bought it to enjoy..

Sneaky-Snake

Snake Hopeful
Established Member
wvmystichrome said:
I had never thought of that. Where do you find painters tape at. The stuff at Walmart sure won't come off easily. It takes paint, joint compound and top layer of dry wall off. I know from experience using it when we built the house three years ago. I have never seen the blue. Thanks anyone for the info.

you can get it at any home depot or lowes or paint store. its cheap like under 3 bucks a roll. doesnt pull anything off but the tape.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I see you are from Mcallen, I am in Palmview at the moment:banana:

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
drive it, enjoy it and don't worry about it.. (that's my belief) yes I know it's going to get rock nicks etc in the paint, but I bought it to enjoy..

he is driving it....might as well protect it at the same time.....no? :shrug:

and yeah I got the Scotch Blue Painter's Tape....just at Home Depot....works like a charm :coolman:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Mine goes to Ohio twice a year and I popped 60 bucks for a Wolf Bra.

Fits great and is only on for a week.

Glacius

8 UR POS
Established Member
thank you all for the input. I am going to hit up a home depot and get some of that painters tape. I really want to put VTEC on the side as well, but since ssssnake already did i wont steal his thunder :)

BeyondLimitz yes i am from McAllen, and have frequently run into a couple trucks in that car club (your username). You all have some nice rides!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Glacius said:
BeyondLimitz yes i am from McAllen, and have frequently run into a couple trucks in that car club (your username). You all have some nice rides!

Thanks, I am trying to get an 04 Mystichrome Cobra Vert to join. Lets see how that goes. Your Cobra is the 3rd Mystichrome Cobra that I know of around town:coolman: . We have way too many truck as of now 100+,its hard to keep track off:uh oh:

TRiedy

wish i was back in FL!
Established Member
forgive my ignorance.. but im in the same situation sort of, driving from KY to around Tampa, FL 2-3 times a year. what do you all think would be better.... the painters tape or a bra? im only concerned about it for the interstate driving.. im going to take it off when i get there. thoughts?

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
TRiedy said:
forgive my ignorance.. but im in the same situation sort of, driving from KY to around Tampa, FL 2-3 times a year. what do you all think would be better.... the painters tape or a bra? im only concerned about it for the interstate driving.. im going to take it off when i get there. thoughts?

You could use the front bra, then use the tape for fenders and stuff.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
I don't use anything even when I take my Cobra on thousand plus mile journeys. I bought it to drive, it shows some road wear and I like that.

TRiedy

wish i was back in FL!
Established Member
Wishing4Cobra said:
You could use the front bra, then use the tape for fenders and stuff.

yea, thats true.. and i guess they dont cost much? VirtualSVT said he only paid 60 bucks for his. that normal? i may look like a tool goin down the road, but that fine with me.. its only a 11 hour drive anyway.

ISUPonyBoy said:
I don't use anything even when I take my Cobra on thousand plus mile journeys. I bought it to drive, it shows some road wear and I like that.

i hear ya.. but this is huge for me. im 20 buying a $29k, 3 year old car that i plan on keeping for a long time. im not going to keep that stuff on while driving around town or whatever, but for the 800 mile there and back trip.. id like to protect it.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
I'm 25 and I didn't pay near that much for mine and I can't stand having a car I would be worried about nicking or whatever. Not near as much fun as it should be.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
ISUPonyBoy said:
I'm 25 and I didn't pay near that much for mine and I can't stand having a car I would be worried about nicking or whatever. Not near as much fun as it should be.

I love my Mystichrome but I do worry about the road debris on the car. Then again you have to worry about the idiots that even walk by them. Keys, coins or whatever they can use to destroy the car. I just finished up my trailer last night and have put pics up showing what I did to protect the front of my Cobra now that I am going to start hauling it to shows and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread