Long distance Shelby GT500 Purchase Tips Wanted

SVTKen

Established Member
Can those of you who purchased your cars from dealers in far away locations please give me some tips? I've been searching and have come across several Shelbys with the options I want, but these cars are 150+ miles away. Do you recommend I use the Ford car locator service instead of something like autotrader?

I figure that if the dealer is less than 200 miles away, I could rent a car, drive out in the rental, drive home in my new Shelby. Or I could drive out in my car and trade it in, but I would have to get a price agreement on my trade (perhaps a Carmax or KBB price match guarantee) before I do that. The long distance trade scares me and I think I would rather just keep my current car and sell it locally. Has anyone worked a trade deal with a dealer where they had to travel for their Shelby?

Once you find a dealer that has the car you want, how do you assure they won't try to change the price when you arrive to pick it up? I assume you need a letter (on dealership letterhead) signed by the sales manager with the price agreement, but with the horror stories I've been reading, I'm not really sure this is enough.

If I wanted DIB with white stripes (instead of black) and didn't care about the navigation/electronics package, it sure would be a lot easier for me.

Please give me any information and lessons learned that you can to help me out. I really appreciate all the help you guys have provided.

94n2boost

Established Member
I did this very thing, had USAA buying service find the car and did everything on-line. They even took my 07 GT500 in on trade. I was very happy with the transaction. Delivered the car and picked mine up with a car transport service at a reasonable price.

SVTKen

Established Member
When you say "reasonable price", I assume there was no ADM, right?

Also, has anyone used Autonation? If so, how was that experience?

I'm just getting started in my search, but need all the help I can get because I'm looking for a very specific color and options.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
Autonation has over 300 dealerships there is no way someones opinions of one of their stores is going to have any reflection of how your visit will go. I worked for autonation and it sucked but that is another story.

Husky44

Established Member
150-200 miles is not a "long distance" in my book. My first deal was in Seattle area (2500 miles by plane. I used Ford Dealer Connection, because it shows not only what's in stock, but what's inbound as well.

I can't really help you on the trade discussion; I'd suggest selling it yourself; you'll get more money for it.

The dealership I was working with emailed me a buyers order, with all the extraneous charges detailed out (there were none in my case, but I asked multiple times). You'll find good dealers out there who are willing to work with out of town buyers, but you have to spend some time on the phone. Happy hunting!

Superhawk2002

Established Member
We have bought cars from dealers is NC, Florida, and Michigan using online sites and dealer locator services-- I have always flown or rented a car to get there and then drove the car home. I have never used any type of transport service -- too worried about unseen issues.

All the dealerships I dealt with were awesome. I was always picked up at the closest airport, car was prepped and ready to go. All the paperwork was already signed/faxed back and forth before leaving. I made sure that there were no paperwork surprises. We made sure that any needed originals were signed accordingly and brought with me. Cadillac salesman even called a couple hrs into the drive to make sure things were ok.

Since I planned flights in advance, getting a return flight wasn't much more than a 1 way. I always booked the return just in case. With a rental car, if things aren't as expected, turn around and drive home.

Plan a good route on the way home. I asked my wife to marry me on one of our car buying trips -- make it worth while. Take a enough cash to pay for fuel and a spare credit card. We had a credit card shut off due to so many odd expenses across the US once -- Capitol One was no help in getting it reactivated while we were on the road (had to wait til Monday/first business day). Take an extra vacation day off work just in case. Pending the time of year and where you're going, pack some thermal long johns. A trip back from CA in a diesel truck took 2 extra days due to a water pump failure in the mountains in the middle of winter -- I honestly thought a buddy and I were going to freeze to death that night.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Agreed, 150 miles is nothing to go to pick up a car (it's a day trip). Have a buddy drive you there in their car or yours and drive the Shelby home (offer to cover lunch and fuel for your friend).

On the credit card thing from the last OP, call ahead to your credit card company a few days before you leave on a trip and advise them that you are on vacation and will be visiting certain cities and areas so when those charges come in (reasonable ones like lodging, meals, fuel and some shopping) they won't freeze your card.

railroad

Established Member
On the credit card thing from the last OP, call ahead to your credit card company a few days before you leave on a trip and advise them that you are on vacation and will be visiting certain cities and areas so when those charges come in (reasonable ones like lodging, meals, fuel and some shopping) they won't freeze your card.

Agree, Except Discover. I spent 7 days, with family in South America, time to leave, Discover no workie. We had used the card for dining out. Wife called before leaving. Could not get on the phone, number on back does not work for out of country calls, How do you get the number, you have to call to get it. They woke up added it to the new cards. Why did you not heed the call for out of the country charges, we got the message, but did not want to cover. Had to use another card and pay transaction fee.

Lowest_Frequenc

Established Member
I stepped into my used 2011 a couple months back and purchased out of state (I'm in AZ, purchased in San Antonio). I spent about a month going around and round with dealers till I found mine. There is certainly no magic process that will make everything fall into place, imo. There is a bit of gambling no matter what. Even if you get a letterhead of price, 99% sure they can still change it on you when you arrive. Nail down, over the phone, exactly your intent and that you will walk if they pull crap on you. Most of all, you have to believe this. You have to be prepared to leave if you don't agree on the price once you're face to face. I had a one way flight to Texas to pick mine up and had a knot in my stomache the entire time preparing for the worse. Luckily, my SA had done this type of things many'a time. He picked my dad and I up from the airport in a brand new black on black GT/CS. Signed the papers no problem and we drove her home 900 miles that night.

A few key points -
Tell them your entire intent. Spell out every ding/imperfection (prolly not an issue if you're buying new).
Helps to find an SA that is actually into cars. Thankfully, an entire generation was born around these cars so you have a decent shot there.
Biggest key is gauging the trustworthiness of the your SA over the phone. Gotta spend some time with him away from email. Make him understand that it's hard to trust his intent when you're having to travel to purchase. If they aren't understanding of your viewpoint, time to walk.

Good luck! PM me if you have further questions

phil123

Established Member
I bought 800 miles away and negotiated trade in over phone. I have negotiated trade ins over the phone several times with no problems. Drove up in old car traded and drove home in Shelby, one day going up, took two going back. Prepared for a problem till deal happened but there was none. 200 miles is not long distance just a minor inconvenience. You could drive your trade in and if there was problem drive it back all in the same day.

SVTKen

Established Member
Thanks for all of your advice, suggestions, and tips! I really appreciate all the help and now I know I'm not alone. I also agree that 200 miles isn't long distance, but I'm preparing myself for what could be a longer trip. I'm not even sure if this seller still has the car and plan to start my phone and financing work later this week, hopefully by the weekend I will be ready to make a deal.

Doesn't Ford have a delivery service that costs $400 dollars to have your new car purchase delivered to any dealer in the country? I thought I heard someone mention this. You buy the car from one dealer and it gets delivered to another dealer of your choice. It's certainly more cost-effective than paying for airfare, hotel, and all those other expenses, not to mention lost wages for travel time, fuel, and all those highway miles on the new car.

I'm hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

phil123

Established Member
I believe the delivery service you are speaking of only works when the car is ordered through one dealer and shipped from the factory to another dealer. Not when it is already on the lot. You have to balance the costs you are speaking off against whatever the admin fee is for something closer. I would have happily paid a small admin not to travel 800 miles in each direction but I really couldn't find anything locally that made sense.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

Marc

Established Member
Thanks for all of your advice, suggestions, and tips! I really appreciate all the help and now I know I'm not alone. I also agree that 200 miles isn't long distance, but I'm preparing myself for what could be a longer trip. I'm not even sure if this seller still has the car and plan to start my phone and financing work later this week, hopefully by the weekend I will be ready to make a deal.

Doesn't Ford have a delivery service that costs $400 dollars to have your new car purchase delivered to any dealer in the country? I thought I heard someone mention this. You buy the car from one dealer and it gets delivered to another dealer of your choice. It's certainly more cost-effective than paying for airfare, hotel, and all those other expenses, not to mention lost wages for travel time, fuel, and all those highway miles on the new car.

I am Utah and purchased my car from Kansas City. The dealer there was awesome. I had to put a down payment ($5K). He sent me a purchase agreement with no price change. Keep all your emails. I paid off the rest of the car with cash + a check from my bank. He asked for the full balance once the car was built.

The delivery charge you talk about was called a "Courtesy Delivery". Now, mine was shipped from the factory for $400. It never saw the dealer in Kansas, but shipped directly to a local dealer. This dealership prepped the car once they got it and I paid my TTL there. It was not financed because I was not registering the car in Kansas, but Utah. Now, if you have it delivered to a local dealership, you will need to have a "dealership code". This allows the car to be shipped to and tracked by that dealership. Oh, and I forgot, I paid $85 worth of document fees at my local dealer. 150 miles is nothing. A buddy of mine here, who bought from the same dealership I did, flew down there, and drove the car back--he told me he was treated great as well.

Also, that same dealership has a allocation for one being built, but it is black with all options but the glass roof--let mek now if your interested.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

The couple hundred is only if you order the car with courtesy delivery.

FYI- I shipped my car from Boston to San Diego for $1500 enclosed- you might want to try that route if you don't want to drive

SVTKen

Established Member
150-200 miles is not a "long distance" in my book. My first deal was in Seattle area (2500 miles by plane. I used Ford Dealer Connection, because it shows not only what's in stock, but what's inbound as well.

I can't really help you on the trade discussion; I'd suggest selling it yourself; you'll get more money for it.

The dealership I was working with emailed me a buyers order, with all the extraneous charges detailed out (there were none in my case, but I asked multiple times). You'll find good dealers out there who are willing to work with out of town buyers, but you have to spend some time on the phone. Happy hunting!

What is the link for "Ford Dealer Connection" and how do I find the inbound vehicles? It sure would be nice if there was one site I could use to locate all Shelby inventory across the country. I've been using multiple different search sites, including the mid-atlantic ford car locator, but you have to go through one dealer at a time, and you don't even know if the dealer is SVT certified or if they paid the fee.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
You need to use autotrader or cars.com

Ford has a Deal with each that all cars are sent to each site.

Use this sort criteria

Any distance
Ford mustang
V8
Manual
$50000-80000 (will take out all the others trims)
Keyword: Shelby

Don't send emails- dealers hate to respond- start calling

SVTKen

Established Member
You need to use autotrader or cars.com

Ford has a Deal with each that all cars are sent to each site.

Use this sort criteria

Any distance
Ford mustang
V8
Manual
$50000-80000 (will take out all the others trims)
Keyword: Shelby

Don't send emails- dealers hate to respond- start calling

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that autotrader seems to have the most cars listed of all the places I've looked and wasn't aware that cars.com had them too. It's good to know that Ford lists them all at these places.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I noticed that autotrader seems to have the most cars listed of all the places I've looked and wasn't aware that cars.com had them too. It's good to know that Ford lists them all at these places.

Its a deal Ford Direct has with the 3rd parties. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread