Long distance drive(coast to coast)

shortshift34

Established Member
I am planning on driving coast to coast on winter time and planning to do it in like a week and I am not sure if the car would give me any problems?One time I was driving from Vegas to LA(longest road trip ever had with this car) don't know why but clutch got so hard after a while and I was not able to shift sometimes because gear got stuck couple times. Weather was hot maybe thats why but it didn't make sense) Does anybody have a long distance experience with a Shelby ? I have a 2012 GT500 SVT with 28800 miles on it(probably the highest mileage 2012 :rockon: :rolling: ) . Any ideas, suggestions??

Last edited:

89Saleen215

Established Member
I took my 08 to Vegas from the Seattle area and back via Montana with no issues. My first 08 I bought from Minneapolis and drove it straight to Seattle with no issues either. Both had the clutch TSB done, but I haven't heard anything about the '12's having clutch issues.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Change the fluids if it's near time, [include the Trans if you haven't already done it], change the fuel and cabin filter, maybe check the alignment, do a safety check, and roll. Biggest issue will probably be the weather... Have a great trip

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
These cars are excellent highway cruisers, especially with a reasonable exhaust system. Plus, highway miles are much easier on a car. You'll have a great time and the car will do great.

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I've noticed my clutch get stiffer on longer drives too, but nothing unmanageable. Sounds like a fun drive. I'm going Oakland CA to Newark NJ this week, but my trip will only take about 5 hours or so.

EvilSnake

Established Member
I took my '11 from Saskatchewan (CAN) to Austin/San Antonio,Texas in the spring. Long ass drive... Like someone mentioned above, only issue was dodging shady weather when we crossed in to Texas around the Amarillo and Lubbock area. The car was fantastic. All said and done I put on close to 4000 miles.

raceme2

Established Member
Doing a trip like that in a car like ours has been a long dream. I am off work with an injury. I bought a 2012, white with stripe delete. Then had a tune, pulley and cai installed mainly to do this trip. Injury had gotten worse, didn't get to do the trip in the Shelby, I am a third of the eay on the trip with my Trailblazer SS. Still fun "but".
Enjoy the trip

Black Sex

Established Member
My clutch gets stiff after a long drive down the interstate too. After I push it in a few times it returns to normal. If you have the NAV unit you can use the travel link and it has a radar in it which is handy for dodging crap weather. GL, be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread