LOL! Seems The Only 335i's Want to Race!

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I had to go to Gainesville today and caught a friend of mine on I-75.

He has a Dark Blue 335i Coupe, 6-speed, CAI, and exhaust. He's waiting to get it tuned. It's one of the prettiest 335's I've ever seen. Nice wide wheels, black with a polished lip, and what looks to be an M3 body kit.

Anyway, as soon as he realized it was me, he slowed down and ask me to honk it off.

I was in 3rd around 5k RPM's and we left at the same time. I instantly started pulling and after WOT shifting into 4th and 5th, I ended up putting about 10 cars on him. We went again from a slower roll with the same result.

He's a friend so it was all in fun. We're going to run them again after he gets her tuned! I've run tuned 335's before and I know that'll make a HUGE difference.

I have to say, with the Boss IM, not only does it pull like a freight train, but as it goes through the RPM's she just sounds amazing! Just F-in SCREAMS!

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I had to go to Gainesville today and caught a friend of mine on I-75.

He has a Dark Blue 335i Coupe, 6-speed, CAI, and exhaust. He's waiting to get it tuned. It's one of the prettiest 335's I've ever seen. Nice wide wheels, black with a polished lip, and what looks to be an M3 body kit.

Anyway, as soon as he realized it was me, he slowed down and ask me to honk it off.

I was in 3rd around 5k RPM's and we left at the same time. I instantly started pulling and after WOT shifting into 4th and 5th, I ended up putting about 10 cars on him. We went again from a slower roll with the same result.

He's a friend so it was all in fun. We're going to run them again after he gets her tuned! I've run tuned 335's before and I know that'll make a HUGE difference.

I have to say, with the Boss IM, not only does it pull like a freight train, but as it goes through the RPM's she just sounds amazing! Just F-in SCREAMS!

I got tired of smoking Mustangs in my 135. the 335s won't even run with me anymore.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I got tired of smoking Mustangs in my 135. the 335s won't even run with me anymore.

I've considered selling/trading my GT for a 135i and modding it. I just think they might be more maintenance than what I want to deal with.

What's done to yours? Any reliability issues?

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've considered selling/trading my GT for a 135i and modding it. I just think they might be more maintenance than what I want to deal with.

What's done to yours? Any reliability issues?

2008 with 38K miles all yours for 21K! pre-modded. At 49 with degenerative disc in my back the fun factor is more work than it used to be.

The only issue for maintenance I ever had was recently. I was closing the door as I was dropping the window and it killed the inside support and lift wires for the window. That was a fun replacement. the fobs finally died after I got back from Oman this July, I plan to get new batteries for them.

I had a TSB for the 3rd brake light and one is now out for the battery wire in the trunk, I looked at it and tried to figure out how the hell that wire could be a problem. Still a mystery.

What was done? The car was set up for road courses and the military has kept me out of country 4 out of the last 5 years.

1. Twin cone intake
2. JB-4, has 12 programs (up to 18psi in normally run at 14) or more plus you can modify tunes yourself. The tunes can be changed on the steering wheel on the fly as well as deleting any codes. get IAT readings from the oil pressure guage (nice to see the meth working). Also has USB connection in the glove box for the Burger Motorsports user defined tuning tools on your laptop as well as data logs.
3. Cooling Mist meth injection kit.
4. wider wheel tire combo.
5. M3 sway bar.
6. meisterschaft cat-less exhaust
7. catless downpipes
8. Apex race intercooler.
9. Bavarian technic tuning tool (code deletes and change ECU parameters)
10. Upgraded caster/camber plates
11. ClutchMaster 550hp rated clutch (chatter at idle from these type of clutches is normal)
12. A few other things but that is all I can come up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stinger2011

Established Member
Nice kill and nice car. I've never ran one but those cars are nice.

I'll never understand some of you guys. You JUST got a brand new car off the lot and already you're contemplating getting rid of it. I have to keep whatever I get at least for a few years.

I've been thinking about finally selling my piece of crap and buying a 98 or so vette, but I can't do it, since it's my first car. I don't think I'll ever be able to sell it now either since my dad picked it out in 09 for me to buy and he passed away in August.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Nice kill and nice car. I've never ran one but those cars are nice.

I'll never understand some of you guys. You JUST got a brand new car off the lot and already you're contemplating getting rid of it. I have to keep whatever I get at least for a few years.

I've been thinking about finally selling my piece of crap and buying a 98 or so vette, but I can't do it, since it's my first car. I don't think I'll ever be able to sell it now either since my dad picked it out in 09 for me to buy and he passed away in August.

I've been thinking about it because I LOVE cars and now have an opportunity to own a lot of the ones I've always drooled over.

Sorry for you loss. That'd be real tough.:(

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Bolt-on 35's are very strong cars, it was a really hard choice between the stang and the 335, but i was worried about the maintenance on the German car... meanwhile i had to rebuild the motor in the stang anyways so the reliability choice ended up kicking me in the ass.

A tune on his car and it would have been a bit of a different outcome, probably woulve still won but it definitly would have been closer. i would typically get 1.5-2 cars on a tune, intake exhaust 35..

However, throw some e85 and methonal at it and my friends 335 was door to door with me on my current setup, and he was trapping 120 all night on crappy tires the other week.

09VistaBlueGT

Established Member
I ran a modded 335i a week or so ago. It was modded, he said it was right around 400whp and has trapped 118. I pulled a car on him from 60-150. :)

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I have a buddy that is claiming he is making 700 whp with his 335. What would it take to run 700 whp, because to me it sounds highly unlikely.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have a buddy that is claiming he is making 700 whp with his 335. What would it take to run 700 whp, because to me it sounds highly unlikely.

200 hp shot of nitrus on top of his tune. There is a guy making new/larger turbos so anything is possible. They would probably need forged pistons on the build.

blackvette101

Established Member

I'm not 100% but I believe that's the world record for an 335 so unless your buddy is the world record holder (which I believe there is only one of) it's probably BS. I do know that the world record car is in cali though in the SF bay area. But even then 99.9% of them never make more then low to mid 400's because they run out of injector. There is like one or two companies that offer big single turbo kits with a fuel system upgrade but they are a rare and expensive conversion.

Last edited:

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm not 100% but I believe that's the world record for an 335 so unless your buddy is the world record holder (which I believe there is only one of) it's probably BS. I do know that the world record car is in cali though in the SF bay area. But even then 99.9% of them never make more then low to mid 400's because they run out of injector. There is like one or two companies that offer big single turbo kits with a fuel system upgrade but they are a rare and expensive conversion.

BMW 335i Horsepower Torque Dyno Sheets - DragTimes.com

A few recorded ones.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good kill O.P. Even with a tune or piggyback, it would still lose especially up top.

NA_Cobra

Established Member

RB Turbos is not an expensive route and isn't rare.

Run out of injector?? The injector will outflow the pump.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Good kill O.P. Even with a tune or piggyback, it would still lose especially up top.

Not if the 335i owner ran a stacked tune! Piggy back with a flash Or Piggy back with a JB+. Turbos wont last long though if have it set to hold 14psi past 6k rpms.

blackvette101

Established Member
RB Turbos is not an expensive route and isn't rare.

Run out of injector?? The injector will outflow the pump.

they run out of injector time not flow. On a direct injected motor you only have a limited window to spray fuel so the only way to get more is to change the hardware to jack up the pressure which many do not do.

RB turbo's are available but compared to the number of 335's that are out there they are still extremely rare. I mean they made like 40k-50k 335's a year since 08 I believe there is probably a tenth or two of 1% that have upgraded turbos. I was referring to big single turbo's that are almost nonexistent as those are the only one's that could make the power his friend is claiming.

And 3-3.5 grand for two rebuilt stock tiny turbos isn't exactly cheap.

Last edited:

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Does your friend have an N55 or N54 335?

Bolt ons, tune, and meth make a world of difference on those cars. You're not going to run into too many people with turbo upgrades. I miss my back doors but other than that, I'm glad I made the switch to the Mustang. I had an especially problematic example. It was great when it was running.

They're approaching 700 at the wheels now? Crazy!

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Does your friend have an N55 or N54 335?

Bolt ons, tune, and meth make a world of difference on those cars. You're not going to run into too many people with turbo upgrades. I miss my back doors but other than that, I'm glad I made the switch to the Mustang. I had an especially problematic example. It was great when it was running.

They're approaching 700 at the wheels now? Crazy!

What happened to your car? I have been running the JB3 then JB4 since 2009 when I brought the car to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread