logging and tuning with mac

williesgt

Established Member
im looking at buying a new laptop i want a mac for the reliability but was wondering if there are any dataloging or tuning programs out there for mac...if not how well does data logging softwear work on a mac running vmware or bootcamp and windows? anyone have any sugestions

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
im looking at buying a new laptop i want a mac for the reliability but was wondering if there are any dataloging or tuning programs out there for mac...if not how well does data logging softwear work on a mac running vmware or bootcamp and windows? anyone have any sugestions

Basically, everyone uses SCT to tune. LiveLink Gen 2 to datalog, as of a few months ago. I was unsuccessful in getting the SCT Tuner to detect VIA usb on both Paralells, VMWare, and Bootcamp.

I'm an IT Professional for a living and I've spent countless hours trying to get this to work. Seriously tossing around the Idea of buying a lil Cheap PoS Netbook just to tune/datalog.

Wished I could deliver better news, SCT is the ONLY thing I've had issues with on my MBP. I use several PC only based applications everyday without issue.

Stanger00

Established Member
Use bootcamp to load Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.

I did this and have no problems with logs.

Plug my SCT device into the MBP and it fires up. Plug the device into the OBD port put in my info on live link, pick my parameters and hit the green button to record. I had issues with windows Vista...Some reason I couldnt pick the correct port or I didnt load the correct drivers. But it works now on Windows 7 thru my MBP.

williesgt

Established Member
thank you for your guys input...thinking about pulling the trigger on a new macbook...this will be my first mac...i just want something that wont be outdated in 6 months

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Use bootcamp to load Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.

I did this and have no problems with logs.

Plug my SCT device into the MBP and it fires up. Plug the device into the OBD port put in my info on live link, pick my parameters and hit the green button to record. I had issues with windows Vista...Some reason I couldnt pick the correct port or I didnt load the correct drivers. But it works now on Windows 7 thru my MBP.

Which Model of MBP do you have ?

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
thank you for your guys input...thinking about pulling the trigger on a new macbook...this will be my first mac...i just want something that wont be outdated in 6 months

Don't hesitate MAC's are absolutely amazing. I wouldn't give either of mine up for the world

Stanger00

Established Member
Which Model of MBP do you have ?

I have a 15" MBP bought it in 2010 it has the i5 processor. Old company helped pay for some of it because these mofos are expensive!

I used OS X 10.8 when I boot camped windows 7 ultimate. Another thing the latest OS really slowed my MBP down and its kind if a drag to use now. I'm not sure what happened but I hope the next OS fixes the performance.

Last edited:

williesgt

Established Member
thanks for the info guys...i picked up a mbp 13" with i7 loving it so far...i have windows 7 via bootcamp on it havent tried to log anything yet but the softwear seems to work well on it

Fastloader

Established Member
Agree. The problem is not the software it's the USB port. It doesn't deliver enough juice to power the tuner. I am looking for a USB hub that is powered but not sure if that will help. I have also used VMware and boot camp etc. the software runs great but won't detect tuner. My glows like its going to turn on and play the little tune when it's powered up but it just glows and nothing. I love my Mac also. Hope to find a solution soon.

Skud

Established Member
I have a new 15" Retina Macbook and I initially had issues running Advantage 3 under VMWare Fusion and Parallels because it wouldn't detect the USB dongle. The issue is because the ports are USB 3.0 and VMWare doesn't seem to work with the USB 3.0 ports properly.

The solution is to install a small USB 2.0 hub. I plug both the PRP dongle and my XCal X2 for logging and I have no issues. I can log and write tunes in the car with no issues.

Riley

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I use a MBP 13" (early 2011) where I use Windows 7 ultimate with bootcamp and parallels and have no problem running Livelink or Advantage. No issues powering on my Xcal2 or transferring tunes.

Skud

Established Member
Skud do you have a link or what brand of hub and is it powered?

Thanks.

I've tried two different hubs. Originally, when identifying the issue I had an older Belkin 7-port hub which is powered and works fine.

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub | Hubs | Hubs & Docks | Business | Products | Belkin USA Site

Then, I wanted a hub that I could take with me in the car. Basically, just something that made the port drop down to USB 2.0 speeds. So, I got this guy:

4-Port Flex-Hub | Travel Hubs | Hubs & Docks | Macbook & PC | Products | Belkin USA Site

Skud

Established Member
didn't work ….. waste of money. Updated the tuner and it runs great with windows 7 on a pc… it will not work on the mac. Not at a,,,[[l

Works great for me? I use my 15" Retina Macbook Pro with VMWare Fusion to run LiveLink and Advantage with the hub I posted.

Does it work when you plug the tuner into the car? I noticed that the backlight gets brighter when I plug it into the OBDII port, so I think when it's plugged into the car it draws power from there and not from USB.

Riley

Stanger00

Established Member
The MB should power the xcal device. How else would you load tunes onto it with live load?

This guy is having a port problem and it could be caused by not loading all of the drivers that boot camp needs for windows to work on the partition.

It's either that or they didn't load the drivers from SCT.

Users who are viewing this thread