Locomotive Turbo boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
So I saw a train turbo today and the guy said it was 200k. How much boost does one make?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I can't remember but as a senior trip for our industrial arts class, our teacher took us to a place where they manufacture and test turbos for trains. The test nodule was something like twenty feet down in a concrete hole. Walls were four feet thick. They would spool the turbos to something like 200% of duty cycle and see if they held up. Tour guide mentioned it was pretty damn impressive when one failed. Sent the turbines pretty deep into the concrete.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've seen steam turbine's shed bladed before.. it's NOT a pretty site, and the turbine casing doesn't do anything to stop them.. I'd imagine a turbo supercharger is pretty much the same thing..

KlugSS

Established Member
Locomotive diesels are 2 strokes. So boost numbers probably are not that high but the cfms are insane.

I could be horribly wrong here.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've seen steam turbine's shed bladed before.. it's NOT a pretty site, and the turbine casing doesn't do anything to stop them.. I'd imagine a turbo supercharger is pretty much the same thing..

Me too. Not a pretty sight at all. Don't want to be near it.

Over speed trip test used to scare the crap out of me. lol

svtrich

Established Member
Locomotive diesels are 2 strokes. So boost numbers probably are not that high but the cfms are insane.

I could be horribly wrong here.

EMD's are two strokes.all the new GE diesels are 4 stroke:banana:

Digital

Established Member
Reading around the internet from people who operate them it seems 40-50psi at around 18k rpms with a inlet of 1000-1300 CFM wasn't uncommon. They also go for around $75k new.

Last edited:

Last

Established Member
Reading around the internet from people who operate them it seems 40-50psi at around 18k rpms with a inlet of 1000-1300 CFM wasn't uncommon. They also go for around $75k new.

You so smart.

Digital

Established Member
You so smart.
Are you another
fan.jpg

?

03GTGreen

Established Member

Plz post link, cause most locomotives have an engine disable function called overspeed that shuts the engine down if it goes above 900rpms

FYI, most Turbos on locomotives are there for cooling the engine not for HP

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Plz post link, cause most locomotives have an engine disable function called overspeed that shuts the engine down if it goes above 900rpms

Pretty sure 18k rpm was the blower speed, not engine speed.

moore08

The slow one
Established Member
GE>EMD,, imo emd is way behind the GE's in comfort, power, and operator controls.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
All the large diesel engines I've seen run no more than 3000 rpms. Usually the bigger they are the slower they go a 3616 runs 1,000 rpms

I've read that some of the turbo ADRL cars are around 60psi ....

How does it work for cooling ? I've never seen them used for that, I've seen them used to help emissions.

Last edited:

red cobra 03

Established Member
The new ge tier 4 prime mover is a v12 runs at 950 rpm in 8th notch. Turbo speed is around 23k. But nothing in the display screens show boost psi. Im a locomotive electrician and ive been trying to find the boost psi too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread