LOCKED UP AGAIN! Rara:

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
Rara:

You know better then to trust a G-tech...........I would hope. Ive seen guys in the SHO community, put their soul on a 14.5 coming from a G-tech. Then bring it to the track and do a best of a 15.5 Baseing your numbers from a G-tech is just a bunch of B.S. IMHO the G-tech was designed to make the RICE community feel wanted, and to boost their ego.:D

Rara

Established Member
Jay,

Notice I said he runs 13.2's and I felt confident he could run mid-13's.

Anyway, I do beg to differ on your assessment of the G-tech. I have had engineer friends conduct tests w/ multiple G-techs compared with timing devices, and other accelerometers on the same runs. The G-tech came out to be within .1 second on avery single 1/4 mile test he performed. Also, while the mph was a bit high (because of the method of determining the speed) it was very consistant.

Have your friends in the SHO community hook their G-tech up when they are at the track and see how the times compare.

There are other factors that can affect the results on a G-tech, non-level ground is not the least of them.

Bottom line - a properly used G-tech meter can yield fairly accurate results, at least within .2-.4 seconds, and within a few mph for 1/4 mile testing

WhatV8

Established Member
I agree with Rara, they are accurate if setup correctly. I can attest to the 0.1 - 0.2s accuracy as I tested mine at the drag strip just after I got it. I will say that I could never duplicate the low G-Tech ET at the strip (15.25 vs. 15.43), but that is due to the differences between the two test sites.

The whole thing is with a G-Tech is that you can verify if your car has gained or lost with a mod. The best use for it is to compare your previous to current runs and not against drag strip times. If the G-Tech showed you picked up a solid 10 rwhp you most likely did, that info I can trust but would know better than to compare it to someone elses info. Just my $0.02.

Rara

Established Member
I would love to, unfortunately, I don't own one, nor do I plan to.

The only real hope is Tim Haugan (nvmy98svt) if he can get his SC teething problems sorted, or Dave Shriner, once he gets all his stuff together (current plans put Dave's car as the SVTOA Contour project car)

svtcarboy

Established Member
I wasn't saying the supercharger is a waste of money, I just think the dragstrip is a poor way to measure the performance of a car, and a modification, especially on a car like the Contour. From a stoplight derby that World Tour (Mark) and I did once, the supercharger makes the car MUCH quicker.

Nobody is saying the Contour can't do 1/4 miles, I just don't understand why some of you make it out to be such an end-all be all of measuring the car, and it's performance. That's why I suggested the road course as an alternative. It is a much more effective way of measuring how well the car performs as a complete package. When you have a car like the Contour that doesn't blanch in fright at the sight of curves, curves should be included in the yardstick used to measure performance.

Frankly, acceleration is easy. Performance takes more.

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
Originally posted by svtcarboy
From a stoplight derby that World Tour (Mark) and I did once, the supercharger makes the car MUCH quicker.

Really?!:read: I was thinking the S/C slowed it down.:idea:

Hehe sorry, but this is the only place where I can have the maturity of a 2 year old. Ive also seen Mark (WorldTour) get burned on the freeway from a 93 ATX SHO, and that aint saying much.

Last edited:

Rara

Established Member
as to the minivan that smoked Mark, all signs point to the van being a powertrain mule for the next Viper. It had M-plates, the V-10 sound, w i d e back tires, large pipe diameter dual exhaust (ok, ok large for a minivan) etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread