Locked out of 5th gear?

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Curious if anyone else has had this problem or heard a solution for it. Here is the situation.

When shifting normally (day to day driving) everything is great but any time I downshift to accelerate moderately heavy and get to 5th gear, it locks me out of fifth until I release the clutch and re-engage it.

For example, driving on the interstate the other day and got a fit of road rage from slow drivers. Downshifted into 4th, powered from 60 to about 80-90 to get around some folks and when I was trying to get into fifth, nothing. Wouldn't let me so I skipped it and just went to sixth.

It only happens under circumstances like those described above. Like I said, driving normally I have no problems.

Any ideas?

Myfast70

Established Member
Are you sure your not pushing the stick too far over and trying for reverse? Can't say that I've heard of many 5th gear shifting issues.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Positive I'm not hitting reverse, besides I thought it locked the right section out when the car was moving forward anyway.

I can get underneath the gear, it is just completely gated off. Won't even act like it's trying to engage 5th, just nothing. :shrug:

Bllit11

Established Member
Never had that happen take it to the dealer and repeat it for them and see what ford says.

mullens

Established Member
Yes take it in. Make sure it does it enough so you can reproduce for the dealer. Definitely not normal. This is the best shifting tranny I've ever owned.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Guess I'm going to have to find time to take it in then.

Just as an update, tried it again this morning on the way to work. Down to 4th, up to 80-90, locked out again. I tried 3 times to get it into 5th without releasing the clutch and on the 3rd attempt it finally went in, unwillingly. Felt like the slot for the shifter wasn't big enough and I had to push it a little to get it in there (as stupid as that sounds).

Maybe the dealer will have a better idea. I just don't trust the dealerships around here :(. I used to have a programmed diesel that I took in a few times and later found out the mechanics/technicians were taking it out and hot rodding it before they fixed what I brought it in for. Makes me nervous handing my keys to someone else.

Anindya

Established Member
I might be off on a tangent here, but while upshifting from 4th, are you trying a diagonal motion, rather than moving all the way right and then up? I found that the zig zag approach tends to hit the reverse lock. However, if I try a diagonal motion then it smoothly slides over and engages 5th every time.

It should go in with very little effort, if fact it gets sucked into the gate when positioned correctly. Hope there is no malfunction.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I might be off on a tangent here, but while upshifting from 4th, are you trying a diagonal motion, rather than moving all the way right and then up? I found that the zig zag approach tends to hit the reverse lock. However, if I try a diagonal motion then it smoothly slides over and engages 5th every time.

It should go in with very little effort, if fact it gets sucked into the gate when positioned correctly. Hope there is no malfunction.

This, I really think if you recalibrate your hand you'll fix it, would be very strange from the 5th gear synchro to have issues at low speed but stranger things have happened.

On the dealer thing, you can call and schedule a ride along with the SVT tech.
I did and before we got on the highway he was in the passenger seat saying it needs a new ring and pinion.
Good luck.
-J

michaeljtrent

Established Member

I normally go up, over, up. Not diagonally. I even went back to 4th, then tried 5th, then eventually to 6th. 5th is the only one giving me problems and it's only under very specific circumstances.

It doesn't really affect me 90% of the time but I will be sure and see what the dealer says when I find time to bring it in.

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
I shift with a straight line diagonal motion and no issues. I think going up out of gear, over, then up again may be the issue. I basically shoot in a straight line from fourth to fifth.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
^ This

I was being locked out at 5th under heavy load and I wondered why. So one night I went out and I did some tests. When I went up and over, it seems most times I could not get into 5th smoothly. Then I tried just moving at a diagonal...heck I think I did it by accident...smooth as butter. Now I do that and no issues. Though in truth if I am running hard, I always shut down at the top of fourth (Redline in 4th gear) I do not make it a habit to hit 5th.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
^ This

I was being locked out at 5th under heavy load and I wondered why. So one night I went out and I did some tests. When I went up and over, it seems most times I could not get into 5th smoothly. Then I tried just moving at a diagonal...heck I think I did it by accident...smooth as butter. Now I do that and no issues. Though in truth if I am running hard, I always shut down at the top of fourth (Redline in 4th gear) I do not make it a habit to hit 5th.

Agreed and after I blast it on the street I never get into 5th, its too fast, I just hit 6th and decal down, this car gets up to big speed quick.

Micheal: have you had much experience with newer manuals/6-speeds? Only asking because my dad is an old-school hot rodder and I had to train him to hit 3rd and 5th, he was always going up and over, similar to what you're describing.
Hope its an easy fix.
-J

Last edited:

Kapy

Established Member
Curious if anyone else has had this problem or heard a solution for it. Here is the situation.

When shifting normally (day to day driving) everything is great but any time I downshift to accelerate moderately heavy and get to 5th gear, it locks me out of fifth until I release the clutch and re-engage it.

For example, driving on the interstate the other day and got a fit of road rage from slow drivers. Downshifted into 4th, powered from 60 to about 80-90 to get around some folks and when I was trying to get into fifth, nothing. Wouldn't let me so I skipped it and just went to sixth.

It only happens under circumstances like those described above. Like I said, driving normally I have no problems.

Any ideas?

I knew I didn't have any problems, but I took mine out today cause it was a beautiful 69 degree day in Dallas and I had no issues at all getting into 5th. All I do is basically push out of 4th, head in the 5th direction and it slides in like butter.

Definitely take it in, because if you are having that much of a hard time there is something wrong.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
Agreed and after I blast it on the street I never get into 5th, its too fast, I just hit 6th and decal down, this car gets up to big speed quick.

Micheal: have you had much experience with newer manuals/6-speeds? Only asking because my dad is an old-school hot rodder and I had to train him to hit 3rd and 5th, he was always going up and over, similar to what you're describing.
Hope its an easy fix.
-J

I've driven manual transmissions throughout my life but nothing with this much power. Mostly things like a Jeep Wrangler, Ford Ranger, etc.

I will give the diagonal approach a try. I have just heard that this transmission behaves better if you are slow and deliberate with it so I'm usually pretty careful with the shifting.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've driven manual transmissions throughout my life but nothing with this much power. Mostly things like a Jeep Wrangler, Ford Ranger, etc.

I will give the diagonal approach a try. I have just heard that this transmission behaves better if you are slow and deliberate with it so I'm usually pretty careful with the shifting.

Definitely I understand, so has my dad and he's a good driver, just not used to the tight gates and short throws of the new sticks, so I had to recalibrate him to get 3rd and 5th.
I really think it's your muscle memory making you overshoot 5th and hit the Rev lock-out.
Good luck.
-J

michaeljtrent

Established Member
So to bring up an old post, I FINALLY brought this into a dealership after more than a year because I don't normally do 120 in 4th gear.

Their "diagnosis" is that they cannot drive my car to the limits I explained in the initial complaint and they can't allow one of their techs to ride with me at those speeds. Not having a track anywhere near me where I can legally do this, I guess I'm out of luck?

Users who are viewing this thread