Lock or unlock converter @ WOT

cb900f

Established Member
Looking for some insight on this subject from the tuners. Do you lock or unlock the converter @ WOT? More importantly, why?

My particular situation deals with a turbo car, but does it differ with different power adders?

corepwn

Established Member
Most tuners do command lockup for at least 3rd, and 4th at WOT. There's no gain to be had locking at WOT down low as this would basically remove any benefit the converter provides you out of the hole by flashing to a higher rpm.

The reasons vary, generally unlocked converters are not very efficient and have a varying amount of slip (loss) at high rpm. For a turbo car locking the converter also introduces more load which they usually respond favorably to.

cb900f

Established Member
Most tuners do command lockup for at least 3rd, and 4th at WOT. There's no gain to be had locking at WOT down low as this would basically remove any benefit the converter provides you out of the hole by flashing to a higher rpm.

The reasons vary, generally unlocked converters are not very efficient and have a varying amount of slip (loss) at high rpm. For a turbo car locking the converter also introduces more load which they usually respond favorably to.

That makes sense to me. Then why would one get a single disc converter vs a triple disc converter? Triple disc should hold more power at WOT.

92fiveohfox

Established Member

Smart man :coolman:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Not everyone needs a triple disc converter depending on their power level.

Not quite.

If your going to get a single disc converter typically it would be for an application where you don't plan to lockup the car @ WOT.

My personal car has a single disc converter and it's setup to only lockup at part throttle and cruising applications. Locking the converter at WOT could break or damage the clutch in my car.

Going with a multi disc converter it can better hold the power and abuse at wot.

cb900f

Established Member
Not quite.

If your going to get a single disc converter typically it would be for an application where you don't plan to lockup the car @ WOT.

My personal car has a single disc converter and it's setup to only lockup at part throttle and cruising applications. Locking the converter at WOT could break or damage the clutch in my car.

Going with a multi disc converter it can better hold the power and abuse at wot.
Can I ask why you don't lock it up at WOT?

vkirkend

Established Member
Locking up the convertor @ WOT puts more stress on the convertor during the lock up. To save the convertor I would have my tuner disengage OD @ WOT. Ask me how I know.....

cb900f

Established Member
Locking up the convertor @ WOT puts more stress on the convertor during the lock up. To save the convertor I would have my tuner disengage OD @ WOT. Ask me how I know.....

So I'm guessing your converter failed by locking it up @ WOT?

If it makes more power locked up, why would people not want to purchase a triple disc and lock it up?

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member

If it makes more power locked up, why would people not want to purchase a triple disc and lock it up?

As stated above, if you have a turbo car, it will like the load induced by locking up the converter. Every tuner has their preference of locking in 3rd, or 4th. If you have a turbo car, get the triple disc and try locking in 4th. Good luck!

92fiveohfox

Established Member
As stated above, if you have a turbo car, it will like the load induced by locking up the converter. Every tuner has their preference of locking in 3rd, or 4th. If you have a turbo car, get the triple disc and try locking in 4th. Good luck!

Is yours set to lock in 3 or 4? Do you know?

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Because the gains were minimal in my car, only 1-2 mph and the stress on the converter was more then I wanted. Also I've shattered a few converters so I try to avoid it now since that's expensive.

Also a multi disc lockup converter for my 4r70 is a small fortune and weights like 50 lbs. Taking lockup out completely shaves like 20-25 lbs of rotational mass.

With the 6r80 cars that come with a multi disc converter its a no brainer to lock it up especially on the lower power cars.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
Because the gains were minimal in my car, only 1-2 mph and the stress on the converter was more then I wanted. Also I've shattered a few converters so I try to avoid it now since that's expensive.

Also a multi disc lockup converter for my 4r70 is a small fortune and weights like 50 lbs. Taking lockup out completely shaves like 20-25 lbs of rotational mass.

With the 6r80 cars that come with a multi disc converter its a no brainer to lock it up especially on the lower power cars.

Aaron nailed it. I am sure my tuner chose not to lock up my car in 3rd because it may be too violent of an event. Just my theory. It is already a scary ride in 2-3 without lockup, and then it locks up in 4th and..... ohh my!

vkirkend

Established Member

That's exactly what happened. The more power you have, the more strain you put on the convertor @ lockup and @ WOT and High gear you will be putting the most pressure on these parts at lockup. I had a single disk and replaced with a triple disk but why take the chance on burning that one up too. I opted to have my tuner lock out the OD @ WOT because I don't like replacing the trans and convertor more often than I have too.

cb900f

Established Member
That's exactly what happened. The more power you have, the more strain you put on the convertor @ lockup and @ WOT and High gear you will be putting the most pressure on these parts at lockup. I had a single disk and replaced with a triple disk but why take the chance on burning that one up too. I opted to have my tuner lock out the OD @ WOT because I don't like replacing the trans and convertor more often than I have too.
Makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread