Local dealer changes his mind - no surprise

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
I talked with my local SVT dealer last year, right after the New York show to get my name on the list for the new Shelby. At the time, he said he would guarantee no higher than sticker since Ford said they would build all that would be sold (or something to that effect).

I talked to him today (as I have been every month or so) and "Things have changed". He says that since the demand is so strong and since they're only getting 2 (according to him) that everyone who's name is on the list (mine was 2nd) will either bid on a car or the dealership will simply 'adjust' the price to market and offer it down the list - they're 'just not sure which'.

:mj: :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj:

No surprise, especially after seeing what's happening all across the nation. But it's still ridiculous.

:mj: :mj:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
That SUCKS!!!! I hope mine does not lose their minds, but they are a small mid-west dealer who counts on repeat customers and has been very fair over the years............The worst part is that after the initial craziness dies down these cars will be available, it has always happened before......Steve

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
Raven said:
I talked with my local SVT dealer last year, right after the New York show to get my name on the list for the new Shelby. At the time, he said he would guarantee no higher than sticker since Ford said they would build all that would be sold (or something to that effect).

I talked to him today (as I have been every month or so) and "Things have changed". He says that since the demand is so strong and since they're only getting 2 (according to him) that everyone who's name is on the list (mine was 2nd) will either bid on a car or the dealership will simply 'adjust' the price to market and offer it down the list - they're 'just not sure which'.

No surprise, especially after seeing what's happening all across the nation. But it's still ridiculous.

:uh oh: If he guaranteed it, why didn't you put it on a sales contract with a deposit???.........those are legally binding contracts. I did........at msrp but in Canada, it's illegal to go over anyways

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
And it starts, give it 18 minths and they will be sitting on lots with rebates like the terminators did. THe same thing happened when the new stang GT came out

Joe

mrGT

Established Member
And it starts, give it 18 minths and they will be sitting on lots with rebates like the terminators did. THe same thing happened when the new stang GT came out
I'm sure everyone has seen this on many items, not just this Shelby.....when demand exceeds supply, the ante usually goes up. The XBox just recently went this route, the new Lexus went that route, just recently, crude oil ought to come to mind real fast, and there are many more examples. But so many people just don't get it.....this a standard economics rule.....when supply does not meet demand, price will artificially be higher than when supply exceeds demand.

You will see this phenomena again when the Challenger and Camaro finally become a reality....mark it down.

gonein60

Banned
Not every person out there wants a GT500. There is a small group of people that want this car, otherwise, no one cares. It will go down, just give it time. I'd hate to have to pay over sticker on it though. Oh well, might not be sitting in my garage for a while if these scumbag dealers :cuss: are into ripping us Shelby nuts off. Just have to wait and see.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Raven said:

That SUCKS! Sorry to hear that! When the price does come down, and it will, buy from another dealer, then stop by and show them!

When I got my 03, the same thing happened to me. One dealer told me A plan, said no problem. Well after the hype of the 03's got out he changed his mind. He told me Msrp was the best he could do! :cuss: I went to another dealer they gave me a plan and treated me better. I went back to the first place, pulled up to the front window and did one hell of a burn out as I left their lot! Life was good! I also posted this on my local Mustang board. None of my Mustang brothers will buy from them! Pay back is a female dog!

Tim

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
R1Lello said:
:uh oh: If he guaranteed it, why didn't you put it on a sales contract with a deposit???.........those are legally binding contracts. I did........at msrp but in Canada, it's illegal to go over anyways

I asked them to do it then but they refused, saying that since they didn't have the MSRP they 'couldn't' take a deposit on anything they don't know the price of. :rollseyes :bs:

I had a feeling then that they were lying and were just going to wait and see what happened, hoping to get more. I know two other guys in my area who had the same experience with them.

It's just selfish greed, justified to them by what they see as a seller's market. That's ok - I can definitely wait the greedy bastards out. And when I DO buy one - which won't be from them because I will NOT pay $1.00 over MSRP for one - it will be burnout time in their parking lot too! :poke:

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
Question for all those dissing those dealers that want above MSRP. Will you pay MSRP for the "bread & butter" vehicles to the dealer that sold you the Shelby at MSRP? or will you revert back to negotiating him down on the price?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that when the "buying power" switches back to the customer, and it will, you will attempt to keep the dealer from making money by trying to get those vehicles at or near invoice. If that is the case, in my eyes, you have now become the greedy one.....

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
car dealerships

That's why they have the general reputation they do...exploit what they can from people. I, too, will sit back and wait. I have a perfectly good 03 that I enjoy. Anyone who jumps to buy the first..well..you can expect to get hammered by these dealers...

mrGT

Established Member
That's why they have the general reputation they do...exploit what they can from people
I can see that you think getting MSRP for a vehicle is "exploitation" . I wasn't aware that dealers were getting above MSRP on ALL of their vehicles.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
mrGT said:
Question for all those dissing those dealers that want above MSRP. Will you pay MSRP for the "bread & butter" vehicles to the dealer that sold you the Shelby at MSRP? or will you revert back to negotiating him down on the price?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that when the "buying power" switches back to the customer, and it will, you will attempt to keep the dealer from making money by trying to get those vehicles at or near invoice. If that is the case, in my eyes, you have now become the greedy one.....

The dealer has every right to ask what he wants for a vehicle. It is a 'suggested' retail price.

The problem I have is with dealers (like the one I went to) who originally said they would sell the 500 at MSRP and have just recently changed their mind just to jack the price up. Would I have been right to go to him if he did end up offering it to me at MSRP only to try and beat him down? NO. I agreed to buy at MSRP - he agreed to sell; but it wasn't in writing AT HIS INSISTENCE. And like I said, he's done this to at least TWO other people who I've talked with since.

But just as a dealer has every right to ask what he will, the customer has every right to offer what he wants to pay. That's the way free enterprise works. But if an offer to sell at one price is changed because they see what Barrett-Jackson can get or because they see the interest in the car at NAIAS and they now have huge $$$$ markup signs in their eyes - then I'm done with that dealer. Period.

He can kiss my ass and so can anyone else who defends a schmuck like that.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
mrGT said:
I can see that you think getting MSRP for a vehicle is "exploitation" . I wasn't aware that dealers were getting above MSRP on ALL of their vehicles.

Look - profit is not a dirty word. The dealers have to make a profit to stay in business and we all understand that.

But you are not going to win anyone over by trying to defend jerks who think that they can change a deal they have made or take advantage of buyers. If a person says he will do something, he should do it - period.

If a dealer sells more vehicles at a lower profit margin he will make more money in the long run. If a dealer starts gouging buyers just because he can get away with it, in the end he will hurt himself by establishing a poor reputation.

Remember? The dealer's price from Ford is fixed - what he sells it to the buyer for is not. So why shouldn't the dealer at least do what he says he will do?

Because he's a low life piece of sh!t if he doesn't.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
mrGT said:

The difference is the dealer and Ford have the ability to set a price such that they still make money on the invoice deals. They get dealer kick backs after selling the car. It is not like they are all meeting in the break room at the end of the day all bummed out 'cuz they sold 50 cars that day all at invoice and didn't make any money. It is worth it to them to sell high volume low profit vehicles.

At MSRP, they are making a good profit - several thousand dollars. Both sides win. The customer is happy, not aggravated at having to pay extra for the car. They will likely be back to buy more cars at that trustworthy dealership. So why make an extra few grand on that one deal only to alienate the customer and never see them again. Last I checked, a lifelong customer is far more valuable than the guy they make one big sale off of.

just my $0.02. Which is about how far over sticker I will go.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
I paid over MSRP one time - and I'll NEVER do it again.

Back in 1987, Buick announced that they were going to send the Grand National out with a bang. They were going to build the GNX - a limited production (only made 547), higher performance, specialty GN. More HP, more Torque, better suspension, better turbo, better transmission programming - well, just "more".

But - only 547 of them.

I agreed to buy one at $15,000 over MSRP which was a steal all things considered. Most were going higher than that, some for $100,000. Mine cost me $43,000+. That dealer set a price - I ageed and when the car showed up at the dealership, I paid him cash and drove it home (having already sold my GN). And yes, I had a big grin on my face.

Looking back, it was stupid. But - I got the right to say I had (at one time) the ONLY GNX in Ohio and then, only 1 of 3 or 4. It was an awesome car though... It was the 2nd Grand National I ever owned and when I drove it, I felt it was worth every penny I paid. It just made you feel - well, something that you didn't feel in an everyday GN.

Fast forward to today. They were selling Mustang GT's for crazy markups. There will be a hell of a lot more Shelby Cobra GT500's than 547 and this is NOT the last year they will be built. My God - they were selling GTO's (WTF???!!!) over MSRP when first introduced!!! Look what you can buy them for now.

The same is for the Corvette ZR1 - look what people paid for them when they first came out. Look what you can buy one for today.

A car is a very poor 'investment' if you look at it dollars and cents.

So, no way will I pay over MSRP for a car that is far from being limited and will appeal to a niche market. Even at MSRP, the dealer is making a killing on the sale. Anything over MSRP? To me, that is legalized theft in my view.

What happened to my GNX (#281 of the 547)? I had to sell it after a divorce because I needed the money. It went to a buyer in New Jersey who ended up selling it to a guy in Georgia - who will not sell it today.

But I'm waiting...

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Raven said:
I paid over MSRP one time - and I'll NEVER do it again.

Back in 1987, Buick announced that they were going to send the Grand National out with a bang. They were going to build the GNX - a limited production (only made 547), higher performance, specialty GN. More HP, more Torque, better suspension, better turbo, better transmission programming - well, just "more".

But - only 547 of them.

I agreed to buy one at $15,000 over MSRP which was a steal all things considered. Most were going higher than that, some for $100,000. Mine cost me $43,000+. Looking back, it was stupid. But - I got the right to say I had (at one time) the ONLY GNX in Ohio and then, only 1 of 3 or 4. It was an awesome car though... It was the 2nd Grand National I ever owned and when I drove it, I felt it was worth every penny I paid. It just made you feel - well, something that you didn't feel in an everyday GN.

Fast forward to today. They were selling Mustang GT's for crazy markups. There will be a hell of a lot more Shelby Cobra GT500's than 547 and this is NOT the last year they will be built. So, no way will I pay over MSRP for a car that is far from being limited and will appeal to a niche market. Even at MSRP, the dealer is making a killing on the sale. Anything over MSRP? To me, that is legalized theft in my view.

What happened to my GNX (#281 of the 547)? I had to sell it after a divorce because I needed the money. It went to a buyer in New Jersey who ended up selling it to a guy in Georgia - who will not sell it today.

But I'm waiting...
That is a shame about having to sell your car. I had to sell my last Mustang to go back to college. Not quite the same circumstance as yours, but, I still miss it today. I swore then I was going to buy another one. Now I'm just waiting on the order codes. Hope someday he calls you and wants to sell it back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread