Livernois 3-valve block in an 03 Cobra?

hookandpull

Established Member
A good friend of mine has this block 4.6L 3-Valve 298ci Pro-Series Stroker Shortblock - Livernois Motorsports and is willing to cut me a huge deal on it. I am wondering if anyone has used one of these blocks with their cobra heads and accessories? I called livernoise and they said all that needs to be done is gasket match the oil galley's which they should be almost dead on anyways. That didnt make me comfortable enough. They said I should change out pistons as well but I said my buddy is running enough of a dish piston that he yields 9:1 compression on a 3 valve so I would think they are about the same dish as the Cobra pistons. I have yet to get the build sheet but before I go through the hassle of all that I would like to know if anyone has attempted this?

hookandpull

Established Member
If the block is just like a Terminator block and the pistons have the same dish as the cobra Pistons and I am running 03 Cobra heads I still wouldnt think the valve reliefs would matter. But again I have never built a cobra motor I have only built pushrod strokers.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
That's true if the cams are stock and they are installed at the stock LSA(114)

I guess it depends how bad you want it and how good of a deal it is.

Are the pistons dished and have valve reliefs?

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Hmmm.

Well, I'm not up on 3V stuff, so IDK if they use a different pin location or installed height. I do know they have 3V specfic slugs, but I don't know what is different. A quick peak at Diamonds listings show the compression distance the same as 2 and 4V's.

Again, I would try Livernois back and see if you can talk to Mike. He is in charge of engine development.

ETA- Deck height would be something to find out as well.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
If it's the "production" block, then that is the same block FRPP uses in the Aluminator, but you'd have to verify what they mean by "production". That block may be the '05-'10 Mustang GT 3V Aluminum block. Ford Racing doesn't sell the bare block any more, but the Ford p/n is 8R3Z-6010-A.

Here's the casting number (and you can also see the Nemak logo above it):

8R3Z-6010-A.jpg

Last edited:

2mchtoy

Established Member
The zollner pistons in the cobra motor have no reliefs. the 3 valve does. especially built motors. I built my 3 valve and if your using stock cams, i wouldn't be worried using it in my cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread