little bit of bad luck (long read)

Satan's Snake

Established Member
had a little bit of bad luck on sunday. about a month ago I noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak. so I put her in the air and snugged up all the exhaust clamps, but that didn't take care of it. my next thought was "great a ****in head tick", but I wasn't sure. I took it up to a local ford dealership and had a friend that works there take a look at it. he listened to it with a stethascope and he didn't think that was the problem. so I thought maybe a leak from the head to the manifold. fast forward to sunday, the day started off great with me goin south the hang out with supercarkiller and take some pics of the cobras (his looks WAYYYY better than mine.) on the way back home I took my exit and stopped at a light and the car was runnin like serious shit. as soon as I stopped it starting bucking and idled at about 400 rpms. so I take off from the light nice and easy and she's runnin like trash so I immediately pull off the road and pop the hood. I stick my head next to the passenger side head and tap the throttle and that's when it happened. i hear a pop on the back side of the head and the coil pack cover pops up towards the rear of the head. after that she started knockin REAL hard so I shut her down immediately. I get it towed 39 miles back to where I store her and proceed to take her apart a little. pop the coil pack cover off and proceed to pull out the rear coil pack and guess whats still attached...the spark plug. the plug was completely beat to shit and the threads were stripped right off of it. I haven't torn it apart yet to actually find out what really happened but I'm pretty sure she dropped a valve. my wife and I are buying a house and we should be moving towards the end of march. so once I get the cobra all tucked in I'll take her apart and start a nice build. I'll post up pics of the spark plug tomorrow and keep you guys posted on the progress. needless to say its gonna be a WHILE before its done

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
No tune? These stories scare the crap out of me

deec73

Established Member
Between your screen name "Satan" and calling your car "Her" about 40 times in a post, man I feel sorry for ya. :shrug:

TermySnake

Established Member
A good excuse to buy Jan 05 heads. :thumbsup: did u torqued the plugs when you installed it? i'm very sorry man.:(

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Hmmm, similar thing happened to me a few weeks back. I was cruising easy on the Toll Rd, then when I got off at the exit, the car behaved EXACTLY like you described!! I first noticed my shifter jumping around like crazy, then checked and saw my idle was around 500 and it sounded like the motor was running on 6 cylinders. I wanted to limp it a bit further to find a safer place to pull over, and the next thing I know, the car is running smooth as silk again. Still not sure what happened. I will be checking plugs/coils as soon sa the weather warms up a bit......

Satan's Snake

Established Member
This is a FANTASTIC excuse to go fricken crazy with it!

that's the plan... ported jan 05 heads with cams and a valve job ported blower...the works
that sucks! How many miles on her?

45,500 miles...sad huh?

No tune? These stories scare the crap out of me

nope not tune. shouldn't need one with a jlt cai, offroad h, and a cat back tho

A good excuse to buy Jan 05 heads. :thumbsup: did u torqued the plugs when you installed it? i'm very sorry man.:(

yup I already looked em up on the tousley thread...like $2185+shipping. yeah the plugs were installed properly. when the valve dropped I could hear it knocking around in the cylinder before I shut it off

what kind of plugs? i cringe when i hear these stories and then look @ his bolt on mod list
NGK TR6's gapped at .035

I'll put pics up later today of the spark plug

Jefe

Established Member
What would cause something like that to happen then?

svt2ner

Established Member
Similar thing happened to my black 03 few years ago, turned out the dealer stripped the threads on one of the passenger plugs, that car got a whole new motor on their dime. Even though I could have fixed it with helicoil for less than $150 for price of the tool.

RoadRash

Established Member
Dude, I am sorry to hear about this. I hope you build it up big.

I'm sorry I missed the get together sunday. It would have been fun (until this happened).

Users who are viewing this thread