List of straight-through mufflers?

2k3gt

Established Member
I searched around and couldn't seem to find any sort of comprehensive list of straight-through mufflers for our Mustangs. I really like the sound of the Stingers, but they seem pretty expensive everywhere I looked (even just the mufflers without the catback were pretty expensive). I'd like to purchase a couple stand-alone mufflers to weld into the stock catback, but may end up buying a whole new catback, we'll see. Anyway, if you guys could list as many straight-through mufflers/catbacks that you know, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

amorrow

Established Member
Mufflers & Resonators - SummitRacing.com

Just browse through that list, and check "Internal Construction" within the item description of each muffler you're interested in to be certain it's a straight-through design. And Summit is obviously not the only source for straight-through mufflers, so it may be in your interest to perform similar searches elsewhere. However, Summit has a very large selection; that's where I purchased my Borla XR-1s for my '65. I chose those since I liked their sound so well on my '98.

Last edited:

2k3gt

Established Member
Thanks man, I'm searchin through it right now :beer:

Swaie

Established Member
Sop. And dynomax race bullets are stright thru mufflers. I personally have the dynomax race bullets, but wish I would have bought the slps

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Magnaflow magnapacks are straight out, it does have some padding wrapped around the inside, its just not metal like some others.

spike_africa

Established Member
Pypes Violators are a chambered muffler.

SLP,Magnaflow,Borla,Bassiani,Dynomax (cheap mufflers and very good quality), along with other I don't remember.

2k3gt

Established Member
Thanks a lot guys! I'll check out clips of all these on ninosport and youtube before I make my decision :beer:

boduke0220

Established Member
all of SLP's
Pypes violators are
any glasspack is
stingers
SSS terminators and adrenaline
Dynomax
Bassani

1sickstang

Banned
You should go off with this set-up sound sweet. But thats just my opinion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSiVssd5JFM"]YouTube - Mustang Bassani and Borla[/ame]

amorrow

Established Member
Here are a couple clips of Borla XR-1s in case you're interested. I took these clips last night after someone requested I take some. As you can hear, they're loud, raspy, rude and crude...but have a great racecar-like sound to them. The other, quieter Borlas sound just as good, imo...just a bit more tamed for street use. The clips include start-up, revving, and idle. My engine is bone-stock to the original air cleaner, with stock manifolds, Bassani off-road x, and Borla XR-1 cat-back (10" Sportsman mufflers).

[ame=http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/amorrow002/?action=view&current=20090706203940.flv]
th_20090706203940.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/amorrow002/?action=view&current=20090706200947.flv]
th_20090706200947.jpg
[/ame]

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
Magnaflow are chambered definitely not straight-through.

They are a straight through muffler its all they make. Here is a quote from their site about their mufflers. "They feature a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber fill to deliver that smooth, deep tone."

03DOHC

Established Member
the magnaflow magnapacks are a straight through
the regular magnaflows are chambered though
Chambered is like flowmasters. The regular magnaflows are a straight through design that uses a perforated tube which goes straight through the muffler and that tube is surrounded by sound deadening material. It is similar to the magnapacks but in a different outside shape and with a lot more sound deadening material.

amorrow

Established Member
the magnaflow magnapacks are a straight through
the regular magnaflows are chambered though

I don't know why you say that. If you would've simply spent a little time to educate yourself (such as search through the Summit website as I originally suggested), you'd see that the item description for both styles of Magnaflow mention they're straight-through, and that would've kept you from giving ill advice that did nothing but steer the OP in the wrong direction. Sure...we all give incorrect advice, or make incorrect assumptions at times, but some comments like that are given out of pure laziness.

Last edited:

Furinox

Established Member
I don't know why you say that. If you would've simply spent a little time to educate yourself (such as search through the Summit website as I originally suggested), you'd see that the item description for both styles of Magnaflow mention they're straight-through, and that would've kept you from giving ill advice that did nothing but steer the OP in the wrong direction. Sure...we all give incorrect advice, or make incorrect assumptions at times, but some comments like that are given out of pure laziness.

+1

Bassani are also a chambered muffler, not straight through. They just use 2 straight perforated tubes between the chambers instead of a baffle like flowmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread