Line-X or Fluid Film Type Underbody Coating

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Been thinking about doing one or the other before winter with my 2022 F-150. Just not sure I want a permanent coating applied. Thoughts?

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hate them all.
It makes a mess when you are trying to work on the vehicle.
Obviously, this can change depending on how it is applied.
I had a Silverado almost slide off of the lift because of fluid film. One of the arms actually did slide off and I was able to get the vehicle back on the ground safely. I racked it like I did any other of the hundreds of Silverado's I have worked on.
Nothing like trying to reach into the chassis/suspension and just get your hands and arms coated in that shit.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Ive been using fluid film on certain areas of vehicles. Example, we had a rusty F150 for our son for 2 years, and I have little doubt that the fluid film slowed the rust from advancing. I dont think I would spray EVERYTHING yielding the issues outlined above.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Had to retire my 06 F150 a couple years ago only due to frame rust/holes. I would still be driving it if it hadn't rusted so bad.

Bought my new to me rust free 2020 F150 out of Florida 18 months ago and did the Krown Line-X rust prevention treatment last October and have an appt for next month to have it done again. I plan on having it done every year...

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
There is a local shop that offers Fluid Film $230, Wool Wax $285, Surface Shield $385 and Cosmoline 600. I don't think I know anyone that has done Cosmoline. Cosmoline has no underbody wash restrictions.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Amsoil HD Metal Protect and Salt Away in the spring. I've sprayed Amsoil on my rototiller tines and my snow blower metal parts once 10 years ago and no rust yet. I also used it on all my cars up here in Wisconsin.

Make sure you get all the salt off in the spring. The vast majority of rust happens during hot and humid summers where salt remains trapped.

You can't stop rust, but you can slow it down.

Last edited:

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Newer cars you shouldn't have to work on them that much. I'd personally go with a non-permanent product like Fluid Film, Wool Wax, or Surface Shield since by the time you get your vehicle, there's already rust in places you'll never be able to prep properly to coat it with a paint or "permanent" type product and know you're not locking that rust and moisture in.

Fluid film or any lanolin based product is DIY friendly and cheap. I see no major downside to it.

robvas

Established Member
Would any of you guys undercoat or fluid film a brand new Mustang and drive it in the snow? Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say you'll never coat everything and you'll still get underhood rust etc.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lol cosmoline, always hated cleaning that shit out of guns, parts etc…

I do like that of the spray on films, you can still do the underbody wash at the car wash. For the 5 months the roads have salt on them, kinda important.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Would any of you guys undercoat or fluid film a brand new Mustang and drive it in the snow? Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say you'll never coat everything and you'll still get underhood rust etc.

It depends how long you plan on owning the vehicle. Since I may own my truck for a very long time, you do what you can to mitigate damage. Not expecting perfection.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Had to retire my 06 F150 a couple years ago only due to frame rust/holes. I would still be driving it if it hadn't rusted so bad.

Bought my new to me rust free 2020 F150 out of Florida 18 months ago and did the Krown Line-X rust prevention treatment last October and have an appt for next month to have it done again. I plan on having it done every year...

If you don't mind saying, what is the initial and refesher costs?

Family member is contemplating doing their new Grand Cherokee.

andymarkv

Established Member
I drove this '06 truck for 13 years and 170K. I started Krown spraying when it was 6 years old and already had rust in the door/tailgate bottoms. Daily driver in rust belt upstate NY.
It won't solve all the issues, but it will make stuff last longer if it is applied EVERYWHERE.(Some techs are thorough, others miss a LOT)
And I agree, it is messy and it SUCKS to work on it...but what are you going to do, throw a car away every 15 years?
Cost was $125-150 for normal annual spray back in '18.
This pic was from summer of 2018 right before I sold it.

rclb-jpg.1800802

andymarkv

Established Member
Oh! Just a word of caution with Krown... There have been people noticing it reacts with factory GM truck frame wax coating and will remove it. So it may not be the best material for that application.

I use Fluid film black on my '18 F150 and because the body is aluminum, at this point, I only spray the chassis.
I use this gun and bought the 32" flexible wand.
Woolwax® "Pro" Undercoating Gun -wwprogun
I use the Fluid Film because it has a lower viscosity than Wool Wax and am hoping it can penetrate areas better.
I will say that FF does get washed off on areas that receive direct spray from tires and might need to be "touched up" during the winter. Oh, and it smells for a while.
Wool Wax sticks better and doesn't smell, but may not work its way into tight areas because of the higher viscosity.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
It depends how long you plan on owning the vehicle. Since I may own my truck for a very long time, you do what you can to mitigate damage. Not expecting perfection.
Because of this I would go with a lanolin based undercoat, its mandatory preventative maintenance especially if you live in the "rust belt". If you dont have an air compressor even the spray cans do a great job, just be sure to get the correct cavity 360 sprayer hose for which ever product you buy. 6 cans of Fluidfilm or Surface Shield should be plenty for your initial coat.

My current preference is PB Blaster Surface Shield applied with a compressor and undercoating gun. Initial coat (super heavy) for my truck was just over 1/2 a gallon back in my FF days, my current "touch up" recoating treatments I get done with less than a quart but I usually just keep going until I run the sprayer bottle empty.

If you already have an air compressor you can get set up with a sprayer and a gallon of SS for about $200, even less if you go with FF but I believe SS is a superior product. You can find undercoating guns real cheap on the amazon.ca site. This is similar to what I have currently use (Lemmer RP-460-HD) but I only paid $150 vice the $290-400 I see it currently listed as.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Because of this I would go with a lanolin based undercoat, its mandatory preventative maintenance especially if you live in the "rust belt". If you dont have an air compressor even the spray cans do a great job, just be sure to get the correct cavity 360 sprayer hose for which ever product you buy. 6 cans of Fluidfilm or Surface Shield should be plenty for your initial coat.

My current preference is PB Blaster Surface Shield applied with a compressor and undercoating gun. Initial coat (super heavy) for my truck was just over 1/2 a gallon back in my FF days, my current "touch up" recoating treatments I get done with less than a quart but I usually just keep going until I run the sprayer bottle empty.

If you already have an air compressor you can get set up with a sprayer and a gallon of SS for about $200, even less if you go with FF but I believe SS is a superior product. You can find undercoating guns real cheap on the amazon.ca site. This is similar to what I have currently use (Lemmer RP-460-HD) but I only paid $150 vice the $290-400 I see it currently listed as.

I appreciate the advice, but I will most likely have a local shop apply. I am leaning pretty hard to having cosmoline applied.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If you don't mind saying, what is the initial and refesher costs?

Family member is contemplating doing their new Grand Cherokee.
I'd have to look back through my records, but I don't think it's more than a couple hundred bucks. I had a discount coupon from them when I had the bed liner sprayed earlier in the year when I got the truck.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Is the Line X undercoating dry to the touch?
When I picked the truck up it was completely soaked underneath, dripping. It was like driving on ice for a while after it was done. Had to wipe up the garage floor for a week or two after also. It's a mess, but better than rust I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread