line mod valve or ftvb? why?

jazzkiller34

The West is the Best
Established Member
the line mod valve is cheaper and easier to install than the ftvb, but i know that probably 90% of you have the ftvb and love it. why would one be better than the other? any help is greatly appreciated!

klrsvt

KB Blown
Established Member
First, an accumulator is a fairly straightforward assembly. In the 4R100, there are 3 shift bores, and 1 line pressure/throttle bore. The 3 shift bores are identical, and different springs are set in them to control the reaction of the accumulator piston to hydraulic pressure, this reaction translates into shift duration on the shift controlled by that bore. All of the bores are fed pressure by the Line Modulator Boost Valve, which reacts to the Throttle Valve, controlling this circuit boosts line pressure into all of the shift bores. If you change the Line Modulator Boost Valve and raise line pressure throughout the body, the individual shift bores are no longer 'tuned' properly and the reaction in the shift bores will be out of calibration for the elevated line pressure. For this reason, you need to recalibrate the shift bores, both in the top circuit (above the accumulator piston) and below (the 321-310 circuit). Also, in the 2001 model Lightings, I have found that increased pressure in the lower circuits caused the 321 valves to 'side load' or bind up due to asymmetric application of hydraulic pressure during the shift, resulting in a 'bang shift'. A Line Mod valve fails to address these conditions. My last (but not least) concern with a Line Mod valve is cost; I don't think you get much bang for the buck if you pay $89 for a Line Modulator Boost Valve.
Second,For the Factory Tech Accumulator Shift Kit, I start with a new Accumulator Valve body, Genuine Ford Part (F81Z-7G422-AA, List Price at your dealer is $165 +/-), I add a Line Modulator Boost Valve (about $20), recalibrate the upper circuit with different springs ($12) and upgrade the lower circuit springs and use a valve designed to cycle more freely in the bore to prevent both side loading and binding. (I won't tell you the price, a guy has to have a few secrets). My lower circuit '310' valve is designed to preload the clutch at less than line pressure, taking the variability out of the shift control. Although it looks very much like the kits available elsewhere, the control of the shift is much more precisely controlled this way, accounting for the much better performance you get from a Factory Tech Accumulator. My point is, I've heard from quite few people who bought the other kits and asked themselves (and me) "Is this it?" I paid $XXXX for this? I honestly hope that no-one ever got one of my kits and asked that question. The fact is, the final retail price of the Factory Tech Accumulator is less than the list price of the components that go into it, and my distributors makes a profit, too. -By greg evans
So what he is saying is all the line mod does is raise the line preasure, and the ftvb is designed to recalibrate everything for the shorter shifts

Robert Francis

Established Member
In addition - if you get a FTVB from Greg Evans - and for whatever reasons it doesn't seem to work as expected - you let Greg know and he'll send you another asap - no questions asked - and no BS. You won't purchase many products with this kind of service!

ron_lightning04

Established Member
yes no joke i had one that didnt work the first time and he sent me one in three days and asked for the other one back but said if i didnt feel like it i could keep it

but of course i sent back to try to keep cost down

lates ron,

jazzkiller34

The West is the Best
Established Member
maybe the most complete answer to a question i have ever seen. looks like i'm getting the ftvb. thanks guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread