Lincoln vs 96-98 parts interchange

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
I've been lurking around ebay looking for used parts from 96-98 cobra engines....If I bought a used 96-98 intake would my 95 Lincoln MVIII throttle body work on it?....I'm not up to snuff on parts interchange for these engines by any means...I have Sean hylands book and it's been helpful but it doesn't really cover certain items with regards to compatibility. Just looking for cheap power upgrades for my race car project, we would prefer to run it N/A so we are looking for cobra take-off's and parts to make the car lighter.:rockon:

cobracrazy01

Established Member
i have intakes from 93-98 MK8s. i'll check tomorrow and see if they will interchange. I have lots of other parts also, what exactly are you looking for?

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
i have intakes from 93-98 MK8s. i'll check tomorrow and see if they will interchange. I have lots of other parts also, what exactly are you looking for?

A decent "bang for the buck" performance upgrade over a stock 95 Lincoln intake....From what I can see mine doesn't have the IMRC plates but the reading I've done makes it sound like the lincoln intake sucks for making power.:shrug:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You should try the SN95 guys. I'm sure they have some tips and tricks you could use.

cobracrazy01

Established Member
A decent "bang for the buck" performance upgrade over a stock 95 Lincoln intake....From what I can see mine doesn't have the IMRC plates but the reading I've done makes it sound like the lincoln intake sucks for making power.:shrug:

right, but your intake does have the butterflies made into the intake and i believe that they are cable controlled?? supposebly the 97-98 intakes make more torque and power but they are electronic vacuum controlled with the IMRCs. and some of the SN95 guys prolly do have ideas about them, i think most guys get the IMRC deletes or either pull the shafts and butterflies out of theirs. And i do think the TB is the same from the 97-98 MK8s as the cobras, but not the earlier models.

personally, i'd do away with the heads and intake, find a set of 99-01 lincoln continental heads and intake at a local junk yard, have them cleaned and tested, and use those. i think you'd be a lot happier that way. BTW, the heads off those year continentals are the same style as the 99/01 cobras, so no IMRC plates:rockon:

Last edited:

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
'97-98 Mark VIII Throttle Body vs. Cobra?

If you are getting a cobra intake manifold you will also need the IMRCs for it because the cobras are different. What I have done in the past to delete the mechanical part of them is take the butterflys out, slide the rods out, and then put jb weld on the front and rear holes of the IMRC. The jb weld holds just fine and Ive had them used with blowers and turbos without problems.

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
'97-98 Mark VIII Throttle Body vs. Cobra?

If you are getting a cobra intake manifold you will also need the IMRCs for it because the cobras are different. What I have done in the past to delete the mechanical part of them is take the butterflys out, slide the rods out, and then put jb weld on the front and rear holes of the IMRC. The jb weld holds just fine and Ive had them used with blowers and turbos without problems.

Does it add performance off idle?....Does the engine pull away correctly at low rpm's with the butterflies removed? We are still talking about a carb'd setup for it but I like the consistancy of the fuel injection and with an adjustable tranny shift point controller I can play with my dial-in easily.:rockon:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you delete the IMRC's you need a tune for it. Although you'll probably be ok if you plan on spending most of your time above 3500rpm.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Does it add performance off idle?....Does the engine pull away correctly at low rpm's with the butterflies removed? We are still talking about a carb'd setup for it but I like the consistancy of the fuel injection and with an adjustable tranny shift point controller I can play with my dial-in easily.:rockon:

I'm confused now. You are asking about using the cobra manifold etc, but its gonna be a carb setup? How are you going to run a carb?

If you delete the IMRC's you need a tune for it. Although you'll probably be ok if you plan on spending most of your time above 3500rpm.

Since he is swapping the engine into a non B-head vehicle the car will most likely need a tune anyway and the ecu would see the IMRCs in the first place. Now he is saying carb'd setup so I have no idea what is actually gonna be done.

Users who are viewing this thread