Lincoln LS

blueovalfan

Established Member
My brother is looking for a new DD for less than 8k and likes the LS's. I know they got a small bump in power in 03 but thats all I know about them. Anybody own one? Are they reliable past 150k?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
My dad bought a 2001 new and still has it. Besides 3 clock springs and the rear window regulators going out it's been flawless.

He has the LS V8 and it only has 120k on it.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have always heard they were junk cars, but my grandparents bought one new in 02, and it was a very nice car, rode good, handled good. I have no personal issues with them.

Look here too for all the problems, that people have had.

Lincoln LS Problems | CarComplaints.com

blueovalfan

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. He is looking at an 04 v8 with the sport package and a 140k for ~5k, I tried looking on wiki to see what exactly the sport package consisted of but all it mentioned were the 17 inch wheels

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I think they are great cars.

I had an 01 LS V8.

Handled great for a big boat, road like a dream, had some nice power to it, great features and surprisingly good gas mileage.

The LS is know for bad ball joints, and the V6 motors are nightmares to deal with.

As far as the LS your brother had, 5K for a 140K mile LS is a bit high.

I paid 9K for a loaded 01 SS wtih 33K miles on it a few years ago.

I'd confirm the price/options before buying it at that price.

Good luck.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
My brother had the sport package too. His had a MT. I really liked that car. Considered getting one myself as a DD but I like my POS Jeep.

mnewxcv

Established Member
hmm what was wrong with the v6? i know its a much modified version of the 3.0 from a taurus, also in the jag, mazda6, etc. I have the 2.5L in my contour and they are pretty reliable engines.

mrlrd1

Established Member
150K is around the time those V8s have timing chain issues. Secondary chain tensioners/guides get weak and they jump a tooth or two. Constant valve cover leaks on the V8s, both externally and down into the coil wells. Coils have been redesigned like 6 times on both engines. Water instrusion problems into coil wells that Ford's own TSB does not fix. BTW - it seems the PCM is unable to detect misfire events - it prefers to force the ETC into limp mode and throw all sorts of ETC codes which often are misdiagnosed. V6 IMRC O-rings leak oil from the DRY INTAKE!!!!!!! :lol1: V6 oil pan gaskets leak. Basically, if you're driving an LS get used to oil fumes.

The transmissions are junk, like all 5r55 series are...

Ball joints fall apart regularly, often times completely separating and buckling the tire into the fender.

Lots of airbag problems.

Mutiple cooling system problems: cracked expansion tanks, sticking thermostats, shorted electronic coolant control valves, and the hydraulic cooling fans in the early cars were laughable.

Window regulators that refuse to stay together.

The best part about these cars is the lack of aftermarket, and the fact that Ford/Jaguar can't redesign any of the common failures, so you repeat repair after repair.

I won't nitpick about all the common trim issues and minor annoyances.

Most Ford dealers flat out refuse to work on them. They'll tell you to take it to a Lincoln dealer :lol:

IIRC the sport package was basically the larger 17" wheel/tire combo, larger sway bars, revalved shocks, and the option for SelectShift.

The resale is one of the worst in the industry for a reason - AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Last edited:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
105,000 miles
2006 LS
Original battery

Flawless car to this day except for a couple of coil packs (may have been when the car was stranded in the OKC christmas blizzard and got buried under 10' of snow)

Also remarkably, one of the last ones to ever roll off the assembly line.

EDIT- I bought it new.

Last edited:

warrioralumni08

Established Member
Dad has a 2000, very nice cars. Just turned 100,000 and no problems (thank goodness) with it so far. Believe this, to be a list of common problems to be expected.

I see alot of misinformation on this site and bad suggestions for the common problems with the 00 - 02 Lincoln LS so I hope some of this information will help you guys, and if anyone has a question about a problem with their 00-02 LS, ask here, and I will give you the answer IF i know it, or some things to check. If I cant help you I will tell you I cant, please dont pm me, i mod on another board and just dont have time to answer pms or emails.

03 and up I can also help with but we seriously dont have that many concerns with them, other than harsh shifting, and poor throttle responce (both mostly normal)

00-02 LS common problems by category

Misfires:
2 most common CAUSES of misfires on V8 LS's

#1 Oil leaking into spark plug wells.
- Spark plug seals in the cam covers always leak at higher mileage, this allows the oil to make its way into the spark plug wells, causeing the coils to short out

Repair - Replace the cam cover gaskets and spark plug seals
- Replace affected coils and plugs (ones that set misfire codes)
- Change your oil regularly (every 5k) use good oil

#2 Moisture/Water getting into coil covers.
- Water by get in coil cover, and into the spark plug wells shorting out coild

Repair - Outlined in TSB# 05-16-2
WATER/MOISTURE IN COP WELLS - DTC P0301-P0308 - 3.9L ENGINE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 5/1/2004

Can be obtained from your dealer, TSBs must be provided by law to the public apon request.

summary: replacing faulty seals in wiper cowel and installing new coils when needed and coil covers when needed, applying diaelectric grease to coil ends.

Now coils can fail without either of these concerns, but those are the two most comon causes, oil leak being number 9 out of 10 times.

Clunking Noise From Front Suspension Area:

#1 Worn out front sway bar bushings
- Just about every LS will eventually have this problem. Front sway bar bushings wear out, no longer available.

Repair - Replacement of front sway bar with redesigned bar/bushings/brackets (03 and up sway bar design)
P/N: 3W4Z-5482-AA FOR V6 AND V8 BASE SUSPENSION; 3W4Z-5482-BA FOR V8 SPORT SUSPENSION; OR 3W4Z-5482-EA FOR V6 SPORT SUSPENSION).

#2 Loose Front Lower Ball Joints
- 2000 LS owners should verify that the recall on the front lower ball joints has been done

Repair - Replace front steering knuckles (ball joint not available seperate)

stabalizer bar endlinks hardly ever are the cause of the popping noise from the front suspension, though I seen them go bad on very high mileage LSs

Climate Control Concerns:
- Lack of AC Cooling from driver or passenger side vents, some LS's may experiences a temperature differential between the left and right vents greater than 15 degrees.

- Repair - TSB# 03-03-04
2000-2002 LS/THUNDERBIRD - CLIMATE CONTROL - LACK OF COOLING FROM DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS - DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) ONLY
SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF A/C COOLING FROM EITHER THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS OR AN EXTREME TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE ON VEHICLES WITH DATC (DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL). THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY A FAULTY DCCV (DUAL COOLANT CONTROL VALVE), A FAULTY DATC CONTROL ASSEMBLY, OR FAULTY ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS. INSPECT AND SERVICE AS NECESSARY, ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS, DCCV AND DATC CONTROL ASSEMBLY.
See TSB for complete details
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/06/2003

In my experiance in addition to that TSB, its usually always the DCCV, but a low refridgerant charge will also cause this conern and should be checked before repairing anything else.

Windows Inop:
- Certain LSs my experience any of the windows inop due to broken regulators, most common is the rear windows.

Cause - Faulty window regulators (if a crunching noise is heard hear when operatring affected window this will be your problem)

Repair - Replace affected Regulator in some instances covered under warranty this TSB will apply, (see build date on your driver door)
If this tsb applys to your vehicle both rear regulators will be inpsepcted and both will be replaced if neccessary.

04-6-3
BODY - POWER WINDOW - REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 1/22/2002 - REVISED SERVICE PROCEDURE
ELECTRICAL - POWER WINDOW - REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 1/22/2002 - REVISED SERVICE PROCEDURE

Moisture/Water Headlamps:
- Most LSs will encounter this problem.

Cause - Faulty headlamp Seals

Repair - TSB# 03-16-02
2000-2002 LS: BODY - HEADLAMP - MOISTURE IN HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY. ELECTRICAL - HEADLAMP - MOISTURE IN HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY
SOME 2000-2002 LINCOLN LS VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT CONDENSATION BUILD UP INSIDE OF EITHER HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY. SEAL HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY AS NECESSARY. REFER TO THE TSB SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR DETAILS.
See TSB for complete details
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/05/2003

The TSB outlines a procedure to re-seal the headlamps, it also states to replace the headlamps if there are visable water stains and or water is pooling in the headlamps, not to reseal them. Fog and moisture, the reseal procedure is to be done.

Overheating:
- Mostly affected 00-01 V8 LSs, will experience overheating, check engine light, restricted perfomance messge

- 00 LS owners should check with their dealers to insure that the recall on the thermostat V8 engines has been done. (only certain build dates)

- V6 engines not affected as much.

Repair - Replace thermostat

coolant leaks V8/V6
- The Coolant expansion tanks crack

Repair - Replace exansion tank

All TSBs are Covered under bumper to bumper warranty. (4years/50k) and under most ford extended service plans (premium care/extra care/premier used car coverage)

I will update this when I think of other stuff or if anyone points out other problems that are COMMON to all LS's, im not going to add little problems, this is for major concerns, or else I would be here all day

hope this helps. Remember concerns, comments, questions post up, ill check back as often as I can.

mario23_15

Established Member
You can check out lincolnvscadillac for good info on the ls. Really active forum, much like this one. You can probably find anything under the sun about the ls there.
This is linked right to the ls section.

[ame=http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7]Lincoln LS - Lincoln vs Cadillac[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread