Limp mode on the highway?

hunterp

Established Member
I have a couple of options to pick up a 16 tech pack at a decent price and I don't plan on tracking it. I've been reading on the "other" website about tech packs hitting limp mode on the freeway. Anyone here have that experience? I'm curious if these are just anomalies or something to be concerned about.

10splaya22

Established Member
Nothing to be concerned about IMO. Driving on the freeway is much different than high RPM on a track. You will be fine.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Nothing to be concerned about IMO. Driving on the freeway is much different than high RPM on a track. You will be fine.

Are you saying a track car goes into limp mode on the track? I've heard rumblings about this. What gives?

Last edited:

hunterp

Established Member
Are you saying a track car goes into limp mode on the track? I've head rumblings about this. What gives?

Tech pack cars will go into limp mode on the track, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm more concerned about everyday driving on the street.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Tech pack cars will go into limp mode on the track, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm more concerned about everyday driving on the street.

I don't think you need to worry about that. Your tranny won't get nearly as hot on the street or highway as it will on a race track.

Tankman

Established Member
I don't think you need to worry about that. Your tranny won't get nearly as hot on the street or highway as it will on a race track.

I agree with this. I've been driving mine all season - rev to redline each trip, occassional runs in the 5-7000 rpm range. I am purposely trying not to induce 'limp mode' and have not encountered it on the streets. My concern is the unknown damage 'limp mode' might cause the transmission - I'm waiting on the FP fix for the tranny and diff coolers for the tech pack. I'd go for the purchase esp if below MSRP. Tech pack have the same motor , magnaride suspension and brakes that make the GT350. Lack of coolers was a mistake that hopefully FP will fix.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I agree with this. I've been driving mine all season - rev to redline each trip, occassional runs in the 5-7000 rpm range. I am purposely trying not to induce 'limp mode' and have not encountered it on the streets. My concern is the unknown damage 'limp mode' might cause the transmission - I'm waiting on the FP fix for the tranny and diff coolers for the tech pack. I'd go for the purchase esp if below MSRP. Tech pack have the same motor , magnaride suspension and brakes that make the GT350. Lack of coolers was a mistake that hopefully FP will fix.

Does a tranny cooler keep the gearbox out of trouble in a road racer?

The reason I ask is oil is such a crappy heat conductor compared to water and they are usually located under the floorboard where they don't get much air.

Another thing to consider is an exhaust heat shield where I comes in close proximity to the tranny. I did this where is wraps around the diff in my 04. May do the same around the tranny.

Insulated%20Catback%203_zpsmhfct9bq.jpg

Also keep in mind I think the tranny in the 350 is smaller and lighter then the other SVT Mustang 6 sp gearboxes which will have less outside surface area to shed the heat

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i don't think you have anything to worry about. it is known extended track sessions will bring this on but street is different. i have driven mine in 95+ weather and have had no problems, 8k rpm and all. this car is a blast to drive!:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread