Limits of a stock ECU with turbo set up?

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
What are the limits of a stock ECU and tuning? I dont really care about dyno numbers just want to know how fast you guys have gone on a stock ECU before being forced to go to a stand alone...Please post ET and combo.

Thanks

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I dont think there is any real limits.

The factory MAP sensor only reads 1 bar or 10 psi or something like that, but tuners can tune around that.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
What are the limits of a stock ECU and tuning? I dont really care about dyno numbers just want to know how fast you guys have gone on a stock ECU before being forced to go to a stand alone...Please post ET and combo.

Thanks

Depending on the MAF used, using something like a Diablosport MAFia, I've seen 16-17-1800rwhp cars. Drive-ability starts to become an issue once you start scaling how sensitive the MAF will read at a given load/rpm. There are 7sec cars running over 200mph on a stock ECU.

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Usually to get a real high HP car down the track you need to be able to ramp the boost I didn't think a stock ECU would be able to compensate for that. All of the really fast cars (bottom 9's and faster) that I have seen have stand alone systems...

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Usually to get a real high HP car down the track you need to be able to ramp the boost I didn't think a stock ECU would be able to compensate for that. All of the really fast cars (bottom 9's and faster) that I have seen have stand alone systems...

Boost controller can be used to "Ramp" the boost. Anyone with a factory ecu isnt using it to control the wastegate.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the 99 and up ECU have trouble with high rpm- that's the issue, not boost, not hp- as the ECU has nothing to do with either-that's all fuel shit. that's why alot of 98 and previous years don't go to stand alones because they're able to handle high rpm.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
the 99 and up ECU have trouble with high rpm- that's the issue, not boost, not hp- as the ECU has nothing to do with either-that's all fuel shit. that's why alot of 98 and previous years don't go to stand alones because they're able to handle high rpm.

Whats the issue they have with high RPM? Whats considered high RPM?

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
they won't process fast enough to keep the spark where it needs to be-high rpm= 7300+ give or take.

This... is the MAIN reason people go standalone. Also, some guys prefer to do a speed density tune, as opposed to just using the MAF, which may have some advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread