Limits of 2014 Mustang GT?

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Yes, sir. I learned my lesson with Bama... I'm getting the kit installed and tuned at Motiva Motorsports in Albuquerque. Any suggestions in driveshafts? How about clutch kits?

I only have experience with DSS (Driveshaft Shop) driveshafts and they have been phenomenal so far. Best bang for the buck is the aluminum one piece that they sell for the S197 coyote. Or, if you want something a little better you can always sell out the additional coin and get the carbon fiber version. The carbon fiber driveshaft is a couple pounds lighter and is more torsional than the aluminum piece.

I have had the carbon fiber version on my 14 for over two years now at 600+ hp with no problems.

One alternative is Shaftmasters. No direct experience with them, but I have a couple of buds with them who aren't having any problems either (as far as I know).

There are a bunch of different clutch kits out there for our car. The go to gold around here is the twin disk McLeod RXT. Pair it with the lightened steel flywheel and you should have a solid set up, good for 1000hp. The only thing I would caution you about it is that some people claim that the increased clamping force may shatter third or fourth gear. I've seen a couple people claim this but I don't know if it is true or not. The only manufacturer I would steer away from is Spec, and that's only because I have seen two of them fail brand new shortly after install, on different vehicles (just my personal opinion).

I know Yolo DB just installed a nice-looking kit on his 5.0, but don't have any info on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I had another question.... I know quite a few peeps have had issues with the MT-82. Is this cause for concern, putting on this blower?

Never had an issue with mine. Stock transmission and clutch on 2 1/2 years, 36,000 miles and 600+hp FTW.

Like I said earlier, some people experience problems and some people don't. Don't expect mine to last though.

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Don't go off the the upper limits. You could have a 1000rwhp stock motor that lasts for years if you never get on it. The motor can blow at as little as 585rwhp, or be pushed to 1000rwhp. The general consensus with these motors is a 600-620 safe max for everyday driving. Some people are pushing up to 700 with no problems too. Mine let go after 16,000 miles from a VMP TVS at 9.5lbs of boost. Bad tank of gas. All you really need is good fuel and oil pump gears.

The MT-82 is finicky. Some people have no problems whatsoever with conservative boost, while others blow them at stock power levels. I've have seen just as many V6 MT-82 cars with broken trannys as the V8 here at the shop.

Driveshaft should be fine if you have an auto, but probably not a good idea if you have a stick car and are launching the vehicle hard. You'll end up twisting the shaft at the minimum. Either way, wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it out for a better piece.

Everything depends on your driving habits.

I've got a Paxton sl 2200 with Beefcake torque booster and shorty 1 7/8 headers through a Tremec transmission with a 1 piece DS and built rear end. Car is making 640whp. Sounds like I'm on the upper limits of this motor. Should I look at replacing anything to make it more safe?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
You are going to spend nearly as much money going NA to chase 500whp as you would just bolting on a supercharger. Just run low boost and stay around 550whp. The car will easily handle that power for many years and it will drive just like stock until you get into it. Look at all the Roush cars that last at that power level for years and years without issue. A supercharger can be bolted on in one to two days depending on which one. That's a lot easier than doing a full na build with heads, cams, headers, etc...

No man my n/a build will hit 560rwhp and beat that s/c coyote on low boost at 550rwhp. I want to do something different from others. Car also already has headers........

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I've got a Paxton sl 2200 with Beefcake torque booster and shorty 1 7/8 headers through a Tremec transmission with a 1 piece DS and built rear end. Car is making 640whp. Sounds like I'm on the upper limits of this motor. Should I look at replacing anything to make it more safe?

How much torque are you making with the wastegated setup? Without it, I would say you're typically fine as the centri motors don't see max boost until redline. I would at least do oil pump gears for peace of mind.

I have had a few friends with the Paxton pushing 650 HP on stock bottom ends for some time. If your fuel system can handle it, I would switch to E85 (if you're not already on it), and keep the same timing as your 93 tune. Gives you a little bit more wiggle room. After my motor bit the bullet from detonation, I'm not a big fan of timing without good fuel.

TheBorkinator

Established Member
How much torque are you making with the wastegated setup? Without it, I would say you're typically fine as the centri motors don't see max boost until redline. I would at least do oil pump gears for peace of mind.

I have had a few friends with the Paxton pushing 650 HP on stock bottom ends for some time. If your fuel system can handle it, I would switch to E85 (if you're not already on it), and keep the same timing as your 93 tune. Gives you a little bit more wiggle room. After my motor bit the bullet from detonation, I'm not a big fan of timing without good fuel.

570ish torque. Max boost is 10.4 at 6800. Running 93 right now, but I've thought about e85 or Meth injection.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Not trying to hi-jack, but what would be the cost of having a shop install billet OPGs? I am also blown but my engine is completely stock. Seems like the engine has to be pulled to do it so maybe it makes more sense to wait until the stock engine breaks and then upgrade it along with the OPG's

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Not trying to hi-jack, but what would be the cost of having a shop install billet OPGs? I am also blown but my engine is completely stock. Seems like the engine has to be pulled to do it so maybe it makes more sense to wait until the stock engine breaks and then upgrade it along with the OPG's

Nope, just have to remove the front timing cover. Can be done in car.

Riptide

Established Member
From what I've read generally around 130mph trap speeds in a full weight car are at or near the "safe" limits on pump fuel with a PD supercharger. I've read about people going higher with better gasoline or were just lucky on pump and it held together.

Users who are viewing this thread