limited slip?

unibager

Established Member
Alright, I think my limited slip is wasted, because it is a one wheeled star for burn-outs. Anyway, I was thinking of changing the oil in the diff. and at the same time putting in new clutch disks. Does anyone know how difficult this actually is to do. It seems simple, however, looking simple and being simple is what worries me. Help me out if you can, thanks. :beer:

reyberg

Established Member
Royal Purple has some rear end oil that has modifier in it already so no need to mess with the stinky stuff. Max-Gear® 75W90 in mine.

reyberg

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I heard the stuff was pretty good, what have you heard about it ?

If this is directed to me, I love the Royal Purple. I think I get it for around $8.75 a quart.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
There are a few members on my forums that have done the trac lok rebuild with the extra clutch discs. Mine has been done but it has been a few years so I can't remember what you need (other than 2 rebuild kits from ford) to do it.

unibager

Established Member
I just did a fluid swap, and used mobil-1 synthetic 75-90. It has modifier in it already, so I did not add any - works good now. Both tires spin. I think what happened, is that I am used to always adding modifier regardless of fluid. Maybe the last time it what to much modifier, even though I only added a small bottle. Wierd, but it works now. Thanks for all the help.

blueSHAKER

Established Member
It's been my experience that Ford posi-tracks love their friction modifier. I have found that even when it says that the modifier is added my Ford just laughs at it by returning a clunking sound because the clutches are not disenguaging smoothly. If it sounds like marbles churning around in there or you feel it pop once in a while like your back wheel is glitching add the modifier. It's not worth the lock up risk in my opinion. But..then again...what you have may just be fine. Just keep your ears open.

blueSHAKER

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
unibager said:
I just did a fluid swap, and used mobil-1 synthetic 75-90. It has modifier in it already, so I did not add any - works good now. Both tires spin. I think what happened, is that I am used to always adding modifier regardless of fluid. Maybe the last time it what to much modifier, even though I only added a small bottle. Wierd, but it works now. Thanks for all the help.

I would careful, it might be on its way out.

Users who are viewing this thread