Lightweight bumper supports

BV600

Established Member
Looking at shedding some weight. Any issues running these on the street?

SCalla1384

Established Member
I'm thinking of ordering them, but if you ever got into an accident, good luck with your insurance company. Not sure if the risk is worth it. Some good weight savings though.

casper gt

Established Member
I have them front & rear & have no concerns with my version of "street use" (back & forth to the track only aprox 1500-2000 mi a year).

while the insurance company may differ with me for their own reasons (ie. their bottom line, lol) the fact is folks spend too much time worrying about this topic, the factory re-enforcements are barely adiquate, talk to someone whos hit a small light pole in a mall parking lot at 10mph & ask them how much protection the factory supports are.

it's not like with the oem stuff you'll be immune to damage anyway.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I have them front & rear & have no concerns with my version of "street use" (back & forth to the track only aprox 1500-2000 mi a year).

while the insurance company may differ with me for their own reasons (ie. their bottom line, lol) the fact is folks spend too much time worrying about this topic, the factory re-enforcements are barely adiquate, talk to someone whos hit a small light pole in a mall parking lot at 10mph & ask them how much protection the factory supports are.

it's not like with the oem stuff you'll be immune to damage anyway.

I respectfully disagree with you...I've had and seen mustangs take front and rear hits pretty hard and leave with very minimal to zero damage. To take the OEM bumpers out of a street car to save a whoping 24 lbs is simply stupid! That roughly equates to .024 in the quarter mike....2 hundreths. So let's take out a very important safty feature which will not only protect the car but me as well as others to go 2 hundreths quicker in the 1/4 mile...not to smart IMO.

Deespeed99

Established Member
I respectfully disagree with you...I've had and seen mustangs take front and rear hits pretty hard and leave with very minimal to zero damage. To take the OEM bumpers out of a street car to save a whoping 24 lbs is simply stupid! That roughly equates to .024 in the quarter mike....2 hundreths. So let's take out a very important safty feature which will not only protect the car but me as well as others to go 2 hundreths quicker in the 1/4 mile...not to smart IMO.

I agree with with this also. The risk versus reward makes this one of those mods you pass up on. Even if your car is "light" street duty keep in mind we live in america where they give licenses to EVERYONE. Its not worth the risk, you are better served getting carbon fiber body panels IMO. Yes its pricey but will do the same thing with less safety issues to work about.

sean04

Established Member
id like to do these, but im more worried about the strength the unibody looses up front when you cut the stock support out. Is that a concern?

BV600

Established Member
weight is like power every little bit counts...

Thanks for the responses.

Bumper supports-24lbs
Sway Bar delete bracket-11
K member-20

That's an easy 55lbs not including stuff like wheels, headers, exhaust, etc.

Coming from a 3000lb Z06 you see how much weight makes a difference. Funny watching 450whp cars lose to a 380-390whp car.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
When my 12 was rear ended the Lexus SUV went right over the rear bumper. The lightweight one wouldn't have changed the outcome one bit. A lower car or your insurance company's view might change matters though.

BV600

Established Member
Thanks slagburn.

Anyone know how much the spare tire and everything that goes with it weighs?
With those 55lbs mentioned above plus spare tire and parts with it removed has to be 100lbs or close. Looking to get 150-200lbs shed max

casper gt

Established Member
Thanks slagburn.

Anyone know how much the spare tire and everything that goes with it weighs?
With those 55lbs mentioned above plus spare tire and parts with it removed has to be 100lbs or close. Looking to get 150-200lbs shed max

spare & jack are in the 35lb range or so.

don't forget the small stuff, a smart old racer told me when I was a kid, "take care of the ounces & the pounds take care of themselves", that said,
rear headrests, a pound or two apiece
rear seatbelts, retractors, etc, 10 lbs or so.
hood insulation, 3-5 lbs
trunk liner, 3-5 lbs
empty washer bottle, 6-7 lbs.

just some examples, but it adds up.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I've swapped to 17x7 wheels up front and 15x8 out back. That was about 105lbs right there. Swapped to an aluminum driveshaft was another 18lbs. About 120lbs of rotating mass was dropped right there.

Tubular K, tubular A arms, tubular LCA/panhard bar, full exhaust, less gas (6lb per gallon) trunk stuff, axle weights, insulation, pull the rear seats up, might find a cross bar or something you dont need, then all the other little stuff, you can shed around 300lbs. Probably more depending on how much you spend.

I bought used 3.73's because I plan on having them REM polished/lightend which saves 6lbs. You could even be hardcore about it and do that to your transmission gears.

My problem is, I don't want to take away from the car. Meaning I won't pull the sway bar (maybe for track only) as far as bumper supports, I'm not sure yet. I don't know if I want to chance it with insurance if I ever had to.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Justin told me personally when I was daily driving my blue car, he would not recommend them and I agree.

Now that the car is seeing more limited street duty, I have the front on, no rear, as I have the chute mount instead.

For more of a track only car, great mod.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
As beefcake had mentioned we do not recommend these for a street going every day car.

This is more for people who's car see more track time then street time. When it comes to weight every little bit counts and these are a good way to drop a solid chunk of weight off the car.

Users who are viewing this thread