Lightweight battery

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Went to drive the Cobra yesterday and the starter's dead. I'm probably going to grab the high-tourque one from American Muscle, but while I was in there, I noticed that the battery is pretty old and could stand to be replaced. I was thinking about picking up a lightweight battery, so I started looking around here to see different people's opinions and all I learned is that certain batteries are better than others for certain applications, driving styles, etc.

So...

-I daily drive the car in the summer when I can, but sometimes it sits for several days while I enjoy other toys. I have a quick disconnect I can install while it sits, especially in the winter, when I won't be driving the car at all.

-I use the car at the track on a weekly basis during the summer. I like to sit in the staging lanes with the accessories on so I can run the heater to try to cool off the engine bay. The car has daytime running lights (Canadian model :rolleyes:) that come on while the accessories are on.

-I installed underdrive pullies, and at night, while the car is idling, the amperage drops just below halfway on the gauge and the lights dim slightly. Blipping the throttle returns things to normal for a few moments.

I'm just looking to shave a few pounds without relocating the battery, while still preserving the drivability of the car. Is this possible?

Last edited:

gq916

Established Member
my buddy bought a light weight battery from summit racing.around 15 lbs i think..always had problems with it..so he switched back to a normal battery

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
I'd suggest getting the Optima, if you are going to daily the car at all.

Find the weight savings elsewhere.

Goodluck with whatever you decide to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread