Lightning with a 5 speed

BADBOLT02

Established Member
I'm currently undergoing a transformation with my L. I'm selling off my stock 4R100 and buying a TKO600. Now before all those haters start complainin, I'm not doing cause i think the truck will be faster. I'm doing this because i love road course racing and street driving. Plus I enjoy driving a stick shift much more than an automatic, not to mention there are less than a hand full of 2nd gen Manual Lightnings anywhere in the world. So I'm simply on here asking if anyone knows anything about the swap, i already have the pedal bracket and slave cylinder off a regular 5 speed f 150, just interested in what else im gonna need to pick up.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
There is a thread on F150online with links about the 6 speed conversion if you take a look. The biggest hurdle is the tuning, all the rest of the stuff is bolt on.

BADBOLT02

Established Member
the TKO 600 still have a .62 final drive, and it can hold the power, where as the stock T56 out of a cobra would have to be upgraded with a viper tailshaft to hold. in the end i did it because of money. its saved me upwards of $1600 to go with the brand new TKO 600 over a brand new ugraged T56. Not that i wouldnt want a 6 speed, jss not gonna waste my time or money. the nice thing about the TKO is that you have unlimited shifter mounting locations, and since the in the lightning you need to mount the shifter soo far forward that is helpful.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I have also been thinking about doing this. If these trucks were manual, I wouldn't miss my Cobra so much.......:pop: Subscribing!!!

BADBOLT02

Established Member
I work for a company called MRT part time, and we have a tuner that will take care of my tuning complication. i have heard of a few different tricks to get around the problem of going from automatic to manual. most of which simply trick the truck into thinking there is an automatic, even when theres not.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Thats cool i understand why ya want the 5spd now. Just make sure you get hooked up with and become good buddies with a good tuner.It will take a good bit of tuning from what i hear. Also may want to rethink your rear end gear ratio. That TKO first gear and the 3.73's may make first gear pretty useless.

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
VETTEHUNTER said:
I have also been thinking about doing this. If these trucks were manual, I wouldn't miss my Cobra so much.......:pop: Subscribing!!!

Thats why i have both. None of them run at the same time.. but maybe thats a good thing! cant ever decide which one to drive anyway :D

Grombil.com

Established Member
Wow... Thats realy a big job just for driving a stick shift. Why not use the money on a car with manual from the beginning? Ore a SRT-10 if you must have manual gear? The value of the L will fall a bit if you do this, wount it?

BADBOLT02

Established Member
If workin on your vehicles is too much of a headache for some of you, then performance upgrading and racing cars really shouldnt be your hobby. plus spending money in this hobby is part of the game. but i can do the whole swap for less than $4000.

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
BADBOLT02 said:
If workin on your vehicles is too much of a headache for some of you, then performance upgrading and racing cars really shouldnt be your hobby. plus spending money in this hobby is part of the game. but i can do the whole swap for less than $4000.

+1, workin on it urself it what owning a truck like this is all about, its not just my ride to A and B, i like to become one with it as wierd or stupid that may sound lol.

BADBOLT02

Established Member
Amen Chetebox. I will easily submit myself to as much work as it will take to have an absolutely exhilerating ride. If you boys think these trucks are fun as an automatic, just imagine how much it would be if you can roll past a vette, rev the engine and dump it, losin the shiny $50K car in a cloud of smoke. And for those whole complain about traction, well if your lightning has any power at all, it would be like mine, no traction 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on the street, and with street tires and a nice burnout, still couldnt launch the truck at the strip. But there will be many pictures as soon as this is ready to rumble. just waitin to get the block back from Roush. Also the stock 4R100 is still for sale, if anyone needs one.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Well BADBOLT02 I hope you pull it off. The real hurdle your going to face is the tuning. Thats where everyone else has hit the wall with similar projects. I think it would be great to have a manual trans in a Lightning for road racing and auto-cross. I don't think the T56 is going to hold up to all the torque mixed with the weight of the Lightning. But thats just my opinion.

203Cree

Established Member
I dunno bro. I never have liked rowing gears in a truck. Throw is just too long for it to be fun. Kinda becomes a chore.

Now, if you were to put in an Expy console at the same time and fab up a short throw, that could be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread