Lightning vs Turbo Cobalt SS on meth and high boost

betsvt

Established Member
the race starts as soon as you click it...

enjoy!
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLfmJ3B3QkA&feature=youtube_gdata"]‪Ford Lightning vs turbo cobalt ss‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

truck should do even better next weekend, meth will be installed soon :rockon:

betsvt

Established Member
Sweeeet. Nice kill. You running an Eaton or aftermarket SC?

im running a whipple but this heat is killing the truck and pulling timing after just one race... im installing my meth kit this week so that should help some ;-)

i guess no one is interested in me beating a cobalt that would easily beat a bolton cobra. people dont think or dont want to believe turbo 4 cylinders on high boost are fast i guess...

ferfont1

Established Member
did you go from a dead stop or a roll? what speed roll? i've heard those tc cobalts are pretty quick for what they are but still wrong wheel drive. The fast high boost 4 bangers i see are evos.....those + 25psi = impressive

LANDOSboost

Established Member
i guess no one is interested in me beating a cobalt that would easily beat a bolton cobra. people dont think or dont want to believe turbo 4 cylinders on high boost are fast i guess...

No those SS cobalts definitely fast will just a few mods and tune........ Glad to see you took him out!!! it normally goes the other way........

betsvt

Established Member
this was a 30 roll.. all the info is in the video.
he was actually on 24psi, e85, and meth.

ferfont1

Established Member
this was a 30 roll.. all the info is in the video.
he was actually on 24psi, e85, and meth.

that's a pretty low roll for a high hp fwd 4banger....he probably spun through 2 or 3 gears before gripping. :shrug:

ferfont1

Established Member
Damn i just read you have a whipple/heads/cams on there? I think most people are expecting that setup to beat a cobalt.

Last edited:

T.Man

Established Member
Not surprised. The Lightning is a beast and the roll was to his advantage at 30 (too high for 1st and bottom of 2nd for Cobalt). Even at other speeds, I'd expect the Lightning to pull a little.

Nice kill OP.

betsvt

Established Member
Damn i just read you have a whipple/heads/cams on there? I think most people are expecting that setup to beat a cobalt.

i dont know what you drive, but those up boost turbo cobalts are very quick and again weigh around 2800 pounds... he pushes close to 400 so if you consider the power to weight its impressive..

and i also did his roll (which sucks for me), he was damn near even with me but couldnt pull

ferfont1

Established Member
i dont know what you drive, but those up boost turbo cobalts are very quick and again weigh around 2800 pounds... he pushes close to 400 so if you consider the power to weight its impressive..

and i also did his roll (which sucks for me), he was damn near even with me but couldnt pull

No doubt they're quick cars but your still talking a stock 4cyl on a stock turbo FWD car. All he did is up the boost and add meth? You're running a Whipple Lightning with heads and cams....i'm sure you went into the shortblock too while the motor was out. And a 30 roll for a fwd turbo car is not optimal, i'd say anything less than a 50 roll is in your favor, but you did say he picked the roll so thats his fault.

Does he have a dyno sheet? I doubt he's making 400whp, i'd say more like 300 if that, it's still on the stock tiny turbo. The upgraded gt28 turbo cars are barely over 300. And what are you putting down in a whipple/heads/cams lightning? 600whp? My buddy is putting down 600 with his KB/heads/cams lightning.

Not taking anything away from you but just trying to answer your comment about nobody being impressed that you won. I just think everyone expected it with your setup.

Last edited:

betsvt

Established Member
No doubt they're quick cars but your still talking a stock 4cyl on a stock turbo FWD car. All he did is up the boost and add meth? You're running a Whipple Lightning with heads and cams....i'm sure you went into the shortblock too while the motor was out. And a 30 roll for a fwd turbo car is not optimal, i'd say anything less than a 50 roll is in your favor, but you did say he picked the roll so thats his fault.

Does he have a dyno sheet? I doubt he's making 400whp, i'd say more like 300 if that, it's still on the stock tiny turbo. The upgraded gt28 turbo cars are barely over 300. And what are you putting down in a whipple/heads/cams lightning? 600whp? My buddy is putting down 600 with his KB/heads/cams lightning.

Not taking anything away from you but just trying to answer your comment about nobody being impressed that you won. I just think everyone expected it with your setup.

i understand but even though im pushing 571 rwhp i am still at the disadvantage... my truck shines at the track and not rolls.. so not only do i weigh alot more, its also a 4 speed with overdrive, and at high speeds my truck migh as well be a wall lol but i suppose your right... my next race will be against a vette :thumbsup:

and he is making over 300rwhp.... hes running e85 and meth.. you can nearly double your timing and 24psi is alot of boost.. idc if its a stock turbo

Last edited:

T.Man

Established Member

Just as I thought it would go down :beer:

No doubt they're quick cars but your still talking a stock 4cyl on a stock turbo FWD car. All he did is up the boost and add meth?

I'm sure he dramatically increased timing as well. Using Ethanol with turbo (F/I in general as well) cars, especially DI cars, you get additional charge cooling, increased efficiency across the board (turbo acts like it's a little bit bigger). The meth is overkill in my opinion but it is what it is. I'd venture to say the Cobalt is running 1:1 E85, like I am. A full bolt-on SS/TC car is not capable of running full on E85 without an extremely competent tuner or other modifications due to the HPFP not being able to keep up. If he is running full E85, then the meth makes sense as it is acting as additional fueling.

Does he have a dyno sheet? I doubt he's making 400whp, i'd say more like 300 if that, it's still on the stock tiny turbo. The upgraded gt28 turbo cars are barely over 300.

I doubt he's making 400whp as well but there's no doubt he could be in the 350-360whp range, easily. Tune only cars are making 290-300whp and 380+ ft/lbs of torque. Tune only while running varying levels of ethanol blends range from 310-330whp. There is no GT28 upgrade by the way. There is a bolt on upgrade that has made as low as 370whp and as high as 450whp on 1:1 ethanol.

FWIW, my car with just tuning and 1:1 ethanol, put down 311/360 SAE (322/378 STD). And the tune was far from aggressive.

Last edited:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
im running a whipple but this heat is killing the truck and pulling timing after just one race... im installing my meth kit this week so that should help some ;-)

Easily you say??? You are only 200 or so miles away:D

Good run BTW.

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Easily you say??? You are only 200 or so miles away:D

Good run BTW.

+1, agreed. good run OP, anytime i hear a combo like 24psi/meth it interests me, and at 2800 pounds it should be a monster..as long as its setup right. on the other hand, id like to see another run once you get the meth.. nice L btw

Users who are viewing this thread