lightning vs. harley

blk89SC

Do work
Established Member
saw an 03 harley f150 today, stock apparently. gorgeous. ive always liked them but wondered whatsup with the powerplant? is it the same as the lightning? intake looks the same, blower looks a tad bit different. just wondering...

EnglishAdam

Established Member
The engine is basically the same except for the SVT logo is not cast into the blower snout and it has a 3" upper pulley for 2lbs less boost.
The HD has a softer tune and is rated at 340bhp opposed to the 380bhp of the L.
All the tuning goodies fit and work exactly the same though.
Other differences are the 2 extra doors (obviously), leather interior, standard F150 brakes, 2 piece propshaft, no rear sway bar, crappy F150 shocks instead of Bilsteins and 20" wheels. All that carries a serious weight penalty over the L too.
A stock HD runs about a 14.7 - 14.9 in the quarter so the average L will be halfway down the return road before you hit the lights.

I speak from experience on that last one :rollseyes

blk89SC

Do work
Established Member
EnglishAdam said:
The engine is basically the same except for the SVT logo is not cast into the blower snout and it has a 3" upper pulley for 2lbs less boost.
The HD has a softer tune and is rated at 340bhp opposed to the 380bhp of the L.
All the tuning goodies fit and work exactly the same though.
Other differences are the 2 extra doors (obviously), leather interior, standard F150 brakes, 2 piece propshaft, no rear sway bar, crappy F150 shocks instead of Bilsteins and 20" wheels. All that carries a serious weight penalty over the L too.
A stock HD runs about a 14.7 - 14.9 in the quarter so the average L will be halfway down the return road before you hit the lights.

I speak from experience on that last one :rollseyes
haha right on thanks man. yeah the one i saw was exactly like yours. sooo nice, it had blacked out windows all around :rockon:

only thing i dont like about it is the steeringwheel. they should have used the wheel form the lightning i think... and the seats seem to wear out quickly too. thats just what ive seen on ebaymotors.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
You could always change the wheel I guess. I think it's ok though.

My leather is in tip top condition. I have to say that, like you, I saw plenty with bad leather and waited till I found a good one.
I cannot fathom people who buy a $40k truck then fail to loo after it properly. :shrug:

I use Lexol conditioner on a regular basis and love the stuff. The leather still smells new on mine.

DSCF0525.jpg

blk89SC

Do work
Established Member
EnglishAdam said:
You could always change the wheel I guess. I think it's ok though.

My leather is in tip top condition. I have to say that, like you, I saw plenty with bad leather and waited till I found a good one.
I cannot fathom people who buy a $40k truck then fail to loo after it properly. :shrug:

I use Lexol conditioner on a regular basis and love the stuff. The leather still smells new on mine.

DSCF0525.jpg
wow youres is the only one ive seen with leather like that. that looks brand new, good work. what MPG do you guys get with those? guy i talked to was like, yeah shes fast but you gotta have a deep pocket..

EnglishAdam

Established Member
I get 15mpg (US gallon) round town and a bit more if it's all highway miles.
The mpg only really goes gown if you are a mega leadfoot. :pepper:

03hdsc

well i am not so sure that i would get beat by the stock lightning....i have outran them before...also not stock either....the MPG? I get an average of 8...yes 8....my leather also looks pretty dang new....the real only difference in the stock L and HD is that upper pulley and not really sure where you guys are getting those numbers from on the HP stock....Its just the weight of the HD that makes it mildly slower than the L. That has to be HP at the Crank not RWHP...because bone stock mine only put out 320 hp at the rear wheels. I use to own a lightning back in the day and bone stock it did not push no 380 either... just my $.02....

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Those numbers are the official Ford figures. 340 for the HD and 380 for the L at the crank.

A stock HD runs about a 14.7 - 9 (mine did) and a stock L runs about a second quicker at 13.7.

If you can beat a stock L in a stock HD then either the L guy can't drive or you have a ringer. :poke:

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
03hdsc said:
well i am not so sure that i would get beat by the stock lightning....i have outran them before...also not stock either....the MPG? I get an average of 8...yes 8....my leather also looks pretty dang new....the real only difference in the stock L and HD is that upper pulley and not really sure where you guys are getting those numbers from on the HP stock....Its just the weight of the HD that makes it mildly slower than the L. That has to be HP at the Crank not RWHP...because bone stock mine only put out 320 hp at the rear wheels. I use to own a lightning back in the day and bone stock it did not push no 380 either... just my $.02....

Ummm, maybe your memory is going? I don't mean to be rude, but a 99-00 stock SVTL puts down avg around 320-340 and 01-04 from 340-360 at the wheels. At the crack the STOCK SVTL 99-00 is reated at 360, 01-04 at 380. The STOCK HD has a milder tune, and lower boost. alot of other addons as well, and is lacking several performance mods that a STOCK SVTL has. But the main factor is weight. A HD is almost 5500lbs, where as a SVTL is around 4800lbs. Lighter, and with more power stock vrs stock. Stock times avg for a 99-00 SVTL is 13.6 at 100mph. 01-04 a 13.4 at 101mph. Then stock HD is around 14.6-14.7 avg time.

Now with that said, if for some reason my Wife convices me to get rid on the SVTL because of kids or something, I will only consider it, if I can get a S/C'd HD in it's place. Great looking trucks, and great power, and modding ability.

No hard feelings. :beer:

EnglishAdam

Established Member
^^^^ That's what I said^^^^ :rolling:

My modded HD (6lb lower etc) hangs with a stock Lightning easily but before the mods, no way Jose.

02Lightningbolt

It JuSt A tRuCk!!!
Established Member
HalfTime said:
Ummm, maybe your memory is going? I don't mean to be rude, but a 99-00 stock SVTL puts down avg around 320-340 and 01-04 from 340-360 at the wheels. At the crack the STOCK SVTL 99-00 is reated at 360, 01-04 at 380. The STOCK HD has a milder tune, and lower boost. alot of other addons as well, and is lacking several performance mods that a STOCK SVTL has. But the main factor is weight. A HD is almost 5500lbs, where as a SVTL is around 4800lbs. Lighter, and with more power stock vrs stock. Stock times avg for a 99-00 SVTL is 13.6 at 100mph. 01-04 a 13.4 at 101mph. Then stock HD is around 14.6-14.7 avg time.

Now with that said, if for some reason my Wife convices me to get rid on the SVTL because of kids or something, I will only consider it, if I can get a S/C'd HD in it's place. Great looking trucks, and great power, and modding ability.

I would tell your wife thats what the focus is for. LOL :D j/k harley's are clean but not a race truck Lightning=damn fast truck And clean looking! HD=damn clean truck!

HalfTime

Established Member
02Lightningbolt said:
...I would tell your wife thats what the focus is for. ...
lol, I already tryed that. She said... "Do you know how hard it is to get a car seat and baby in and out of a 2 door car?" I said, "can't be that hard, once you get the seat in, you just kind of toaus it in the back." She then gave me a dirty look. he he he But I think the SVTF would make a could family car, but she wants a SUV, so in a year or so when it pops out, I'll get a 96 or newer Expoler probally, something cheap that I can afford.

But yea, HDs are VERY sharpe looking trucks. Ad the S/Cd ones are no slouches eihter.

Andre

Autobahn Dept.
Established Member
Adams truck looks absolutely killer ! :rockon:

At our meet it was the first time i saw a Harley truck. WOW i am very impressed! The inside is pure luxury against the L.

It was a great view as he arrived at the Dyno with his all around black tinted windows and the GB flags on top! :rockon:

:beer:

adam2.jpg

Last edited:

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
EnglishAdam said:
^^^^ That's what I said^^^^ :rolling:

My modded HD (6lb lower etc) hangs with a stock Lightning easily but before the mods, no way Jose.
I beat up more than a few now,,,436HP and 507TQ at the skins,,,, :pepper:

P.S. That's all at 15.3 M.P.G. City.....

Last edited:

PGreenSVT

Established Member
I beat up my share as well. I dyno 395/531 on a Mustang Dyno. I'don't get any 15+ miles to a gallon tho. My right foot weighs too much :)

SVORay

Established Member
HalfTime said:

I wished I ran 14.6-14.7's on avg but I have done 14.8's.

Anyways, didn't the 99-00 L's also come with 3:55 gears while the 01-04's came with 3:73's? As for those times, it's all relitive to your elevation and skill etc. I've never seen a stock 04' L run faster than a 14.4x in my neck of the woods. Thats just 4 tenths faster than my stock HD.

HalfTime

Established Member
SVORay said:
I wished I ran 14.6-14.7's on avg but I have done 14.8's.

Anyways, didn't the 99-00 L's also come with 3:55 gears while the 01-04's came with 3:73's? As for those times, it's all relitive to your elevation and skill etc. I've never seen a stock 04' L run faster than a 14.4x in my neck of the woods. Thats just 4 tenths faster than my stock HD.
100% correct. The times I posted are just avg times I've sean on here, and NLOC. The gears are one of the reasons for diff times, plus the 01+ had 20 more sae hp stock. The HD's are damn nice trucks though. Pluss they can run same damn good times too. :beer:

SVORay

Established Member
HalfTime said:
100% correct. The times I posted are just avg times I've sean on here, and NLOC. The gears are one of the reasons for diff times, plus the 01+ had 20 more sae hp stock. The HD's are damn nice trucks though. Pluss they can run same damn good times too. :beer:

Yes sir, the HD is like the best of both worlds. It allows me to have a little fun but yet haul my son around with ease. It's easier than loading and unloading him in the back seats of my stangs ;)

As for the gears...I got a friend with an 03' L that has a kid thinking he can beat him with a 99'L. I told the kid if you do the math, my friend has gears and 20hp more than you. Then WE'RE not even going to tell him about the mods my friend has done to his L ;)

Users who are viewing this thread