Lightning vs. Harley Davidson in snow...

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting a Harely and I know this isn't the harley forum but I don't think I will get any responses over there. I don't live in the coldest area (richmond, va) but i was wondering how these 2wd trucks do with a few inches on the road. Thanks

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I could not tell you that...I think that last snow I saw was during some movie I watched. LOL. Some of the northern guys should be able to tell you, the only thing I know is that are going to act that same since that are both rear wheel drive trucks. I don't think they would be that bad.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I'd say the Harley would be better in the snow. My 98' F150 ext cab 2wd was actually really good in the snow. My friend had a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and he would spin from stops where my 2wd F150 wouldn't, lol. My STX had tall and narrow tires (think they where the same wheels as the Expeditions) which cut down though snow easily. My L on the other hand wouldn't even back out of my parking space in the snow, lol. The L and snow with the stock tires, forget about it, lol. Atleast four 80lb bags of tube sand in the bed and more narrow tires you'd be ok.

SVT_Gixxer1000

Crazy Canadian
Established Member
I live in Candada, I have tried driving my lightning in the winter and did nothing but damage.h build up on my ground effects, it gets heavy, turns to ice and twice I got to my destination and had a section of ground effects missing or busted off. If you like drive it all winter, your just going to wreck shit.

Dusten

Established Member
They both suck, ford recommends you dont drive them with the stock tires at all. GEt snow tires, or a beater

EnglishAdam

Established Member
It snowed a bit in England last winter and my HD is my daily driver.
Actually, snow isn't too bad but any ice with it and you can be in real trouble.
Unless you have a real light foot, expect to be swapping ends on a regular basis. Those big wide tyres don't help at all.
You could always carry some extra weight in the back for better grip but to be honest, it's probably not worth it and I am getting a winter beater for this year.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
havent had mine in the snow yet, and i dont really plan to either. fortunately i have a dd for that. however, a buddy of mine has been running his all year round in buffalo, ny and they get a lot of friggen snow. he puts on standard f150 tires for the winter, and he has no problems. harley or lightning are gonna be about the same, although the harley being a little heavier and less stock boost theoretically should be slightly better.. but thats more than likely splitting hairs.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
SVT_Gixxer1000 said:
I put a Pop Machine in mine for weight, Worked Good.

:lol: CLASSIC!!!

I would think you'd be money ahead in the long run to buy the HD, and get a beater. just my $0.02.

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
GO HOKIES! said:
Ok, but how good. That is my main question. Do they get stuck easily since they are 2wd?

It doesn't snow enough in virginia to even worry about it, although around here if it snows even a half-inch they close down the whole damn state :lol:

Like was said, just get some sandbags in case and it will be fine.

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
Yea we never get much snow. We get 1 big snow about every 4 years or so. This Harley I found up in Michigan is being sold for $19500 with 35K miles. I thought it was a pretty good deal. By looking at the pics, the truck looks great. Carfax looks good. Only thing it had a susension system service at mileage 4? Does that sound odd? Is it something they do for every harley? I mean, that is strange it needed a service on its 4th mile. What do you think?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
There was probably just a weird creak or something from the factory. Small kinks in a new vehicle are common.

What year is the harley 02? Make sure its supercharged, if its 03, thats a pretty good deal!

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
Yea, its supercharged. Its the dark shadow grey metallic. I'm going to check my insurance first. I already have a 04 cobra and 96 ford ranger. I'm sure it would go up quite a bit. We'll see. I guess since it is not 4 wheel drive it wouldn't be too bad. Hmmm....:shrug:

j_me

Established Member
we've been driving ours in the snow for 5 years now and have had no problems at all. as long as you get good snow tires (i'm using 235/65/16 Michelin Latitude X-Ice) it should be fine. Kep a light foot and thrugh some sand bags in the bed over the exel and you'd actually be surprised how well it works. I've been im many vehicles that are much worse in the snow than this truck.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Glad I live in Florida.

When I did live in Ny, I would always have a second winter car...some bs subaru AWD....

Users who are viewing this thread