Lightning Transmission.....

Tpxsss

Established Member
I just have a few questions about the tranny that I wanted to clear up. I heard its a 250/350 tranny? Also the L's didnt come in manual because ford didnt have anything that could handle the hp and torque?.........

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
the trans is a 4r100 which was also in some f150's i believe, not sure about the manual. i knowits hard to have a streetable (for a normal person) clutch for something as heavy as ours with the power we make would be a pretty strong clutch

FordFanStan

Established Member
It is the same transmission, but some of the internals are different. It is also true that Ford wasn't really producing a manual trans that can withstand the weight and torque output of our trucks. Stan

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
4R100 is a pretty good transmission even stock with a few upgrades.

When they're built, they can take a lot of power and abuse.

Champ10187

Established Member
so will any late model 250/350 4r100 transmission work in my lightning? someone told me today that Ford took the 4r100 trans and beefed it up and then put in the lighting, any truth to this?

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
so will any late model 250/350 4r100 transmission work in my lightning? someone told me today that Ford took the 4r100 trans and beefed it up and then put in the lighting, any truth to this?

Pretty much what FordManStan said. It is the same tranny housing as the Power Strokes and V-8 gas motors that the Super Duty pick ups have, but with different internals for each motor. I doubt any older one would work just due to the computer differences, but I may be wrong.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
It is the same tranny housing as the Power Strokes and V-8 gas motors that the Super Duty pick ups have...

They are the same 4R100's found in the PSD's and SuperDuty rigs (basically) like Stan said, but they do not have the same housing.

The diesel/SuperDuty 4R100's have a completely different casing and mount up differently.

Stewart

Last edited:

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
They are the same 4R100's found in the PSD's and SuperDuty rigs (basically) like Stan said, but they do not have the same housing.

The diesel/SuperDuty 4R100's have a completely different casing and mount up differently.

Stewart

Thanks for correcting me on the tranny info. Glad you had my back on that.

Users who are viewing this thread