Lightning Trailer Towing

mustangrodtp

Established Member
I have been looking at maybe picking up a 2000 Lightning for a daily driver. I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used one to pull a open 18' car trailer with a 3000 lb car on it?? This would be occasional pulling, not all the time. I was thinking probably some airbags in the rear springs would do the trick. Any suggestions or experience with this?? Thanks in Advance!!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
We pulled our 2010 Camaro to the track, ran a 13.80 in the truck, and towed both home with no issues. We had airbags, but they screwed up the ride so much unless it's going to be a regular occurrence I wouldn't recommend it.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Used to do this every weekend. Truck is lowered 2/4 in this pic and still towing fine.

towing1.jpg

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I bought my 2000 Lightning from my friend who was the original owner. It had a few hp bolt-ons, but he had no chassis/suspension mods other than a trailer brake controller. He pulled his Fox Body Mustang on an open trailer all over the dang place with zero issues at all. I have towed my buddy's 18 ft boat on a single axle trailer and you don't even know it's back there.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
thing to remember is the motor, trans, rear and many other parts on lightnings are directly from F250/F350's, so it tows just fine

not mine, but an example

35195_649418084178_38701349_36764924_5021111_n.jpg

GT4U2NV

Cobra converted coupe!!
Established Member
I actually only use mine to tow it seems haha. Too and from the track is usually all the miles the Lightning sees.
Pulling my old car
Random061.jpg

Pulling my new car.
Unknown.jpg

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Leave the OD off and you will be fine. A lightning is no different then any other truck. Leave the OD off to save the tranny. I have towed a 69 camaro and a trailer with my 5.4 3v no problems and hauled 8k lbs in the bed with zero issues. They have plenty of tq.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
IMAGE_081.jpg

Only pulled this one 1100 miles. The trailer and the bed were full of heavy things (refrigerator, washer, drier, other appliances and heavy furnishings.) Lightning's do great. I'm lowered too, but the Cal-tracs really helped, I doubt I squatted at all (when eyeballed the wheel gap was nearly the same.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread