Lightning Strikes Twice

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
A few people already know about this, but I want to share the information with the rest of my friends on this site. Everyone knows about the mishap with my 03 Cobra. Unfortunately I defied the odds of "lightning striking twice". I was near the end of Sunday's NASA race at BeaveRun when the back end of my R caught fire. I pulled off track out of the way as quickly as I could. By the time I stopped, my harness was unbuckled and the driver's compartment was "notably toasty". I pulled the fire system and immediately rushed from the car. NASA has a 10 second rule to evacuate a car - I did it in 5 (max). There was a major blaze at the back end with a huge cloud of dark smoke. Dean can testify to how wicked it looked. The sad thing is that the car burned for nearly 10 minutes. The safety response was "poor". It's best if I don't get overemotional about that. There was a fire truck at the track, but no water in it. The cornerworkers either walked or drove over with hand held extinguishers (most weren't even foam or quality ones). I now have an even greater appreciation for guys like Carson and his safety crew at Road America. They would have been all over that thing and had it out in no time. From NASA's perspective, Lawrence and his crew were great about handling the incident.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, the tail wing, rear bumper and rear lexan window melted. The spare wheel well buckled and the rear tires blew from the heat. The bushings are a gooey mess and the diff cooler is toast. We tore off what we could in the paddock (wing, trunk lid, bumper, fuel cell) and left it for the dumpster. When Jeremy went to unbolt the fuel cell, he saw the fuel line was clearly disconnected prior to the filter. Spraying gas on a hot diff is not a good thing and needless to say the cause of the blaze.

Luckily all the damage (except smoke) seems confined to the back end only (rear of the diff/wheels). It is repairable, though it will take time and $$$. I may be done for the season, but then it will give me time to reassess where I go from here. Obviously it has not been a good year for me so far.

1993R

Established Member
Fred,
You are a luck man to have escaped two incidents. I always believe the cup is half full instead of half empty. I'm sure once you get to work on the R she will be back in fighting trim once again.Would love to help you if I was near but you'll need to move to the Atl for me and Doc to be any help. I will tell you that MPS is in the same town I'm in and I will be happy to "eyeball" any parts you might need for your restoration.

SDW Racing

Established Member
Fredo,

OUCH! Bet you're glad you installed that Sphincter Spring (patent pending)before the event...5 seconds??? great job!!

Glad you survived (again!)....you are one lucky bastard. Remember, bad things come in three's, you may want to hang up the driving shoes for the rest of the season.

Any idea how that fuel line worked loose? You do go over the car after each event right?

Last edited:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
SDW Racing said:
Fredo,
Any idea how that fuel line worked loose? You do go over the car after each event right?
No idea. The fuel line is difficult to see/access. Most of the car inspection is done by my mechanic. Regardless of who does what, you know that sh*t still happens. That's racing I guess.

As for things happening in threes, I had an accident with the R 3 years ago. Does this mean I'm in the clear???

I know Doug can put the car back together. (After all he did a great job 3 years ago). Mark Wilson is going to help with any special parts, but overall most of the rear seems similar to other late model stangs.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Damn Fred, I'm truly sorry to learn of this incident. But we are all glad you're ok and escaped unscathed physically! :-D

That's a shame about the car but hopefully you will get it back together good as new? :thumbsup:

If I had a spare car I'd loan you one. :(

Again, I'm pleased to hear you're fine!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Flying Fred said:
There was a major blaze at the back end with a huge cloud of dark smoke. Dean can testify to how wicked it looked.

Yes, it will be something that I won't soon forget.

Just a few laps before that, Fred and I were having a great time racing each other. Then my motor started going south and I started pointing people by. I went around turn 1 and saw a car in flames. The flames and smoke were so thick that I couldn't tell whose car it was but I did see the driver get out. Once I was by the turn, I could see that it was Fred's car. I can not explain the sick feeling you get when you see a friend go through something like that but at least I was pretty confident that Fred was OK.

It's so strange because Fred and I were talking the night before about how much we enjoyed racing. Fred - I know things seem really bleak right now but from personal experience, it won't take long before you realize you have to be in the drivers seat again.

I hope you can find a way to make it happen.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Dean95CobraR said:
It's so strange because Fred and I were talking the night before about how much we enjoyed racing. Fred - I know things seem really bleak right now but from personal experience, it won't take long before you realize you have to be in the drivers seat again.
Dean and Sue hosted a terrific barbeque Saturday, so we did lots of talking. The racing was unbelievable fun - and yes Dean, you are absolutely right about "needing to return to the driver's seat". Fellow racers in both the NASA and AV8SS series have been great. Furthermore I've had countless friends offer all kinds of support (including cars!). Sometimes I am a moody jerk, so it surprises me how many people go out of their way to help me!

I know Doug is already making lots of calls and lining stuff up. He will update me later this week. I suspect once he gets the car back together, I'll probably decide to race again. Besides, the resale value of a restored, half-toasted 2000R is probably not that great!

predator

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the car Fred, but I.....like the others......are glad you made it out ok. Things will work out. They always do. You obviously have a lot of friends and support right here. :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
ah but you're forgetting the big picture. people dont buy a car, they buy a story.

20 years from now when the svt cars have something similar to the shelby-american world registry, there will be something to read about with regards to your car. not just a vin number, owner, and original selling dealership....

and i hope you get back on the proverbial horse sooner rather than later.

Flying Fred said:
Dean and Sue hosted a terrific barbeque Saturday, so we did lots of talking. The racing was unbelievable fun - and yes Dean, you are absolutely right about "needing to return to the driver's seat". Fellow racers in both the NASA and AV8SS series have been great. Furthermore I've had countless friends offer all kinds of support (including cars!). Sometimes I am a moody jerk, so it surprises me how many people go out of their way to help me!

I know Doug is already making lots of calls and lining stuff up. He will update me later this week. I suspect once he gets the car back together, I'll probably decide to race again. Besides, the resale value of a restored, half-toasted 2000R is probably not that great!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Sorry to hear of the bad news, Fred. If anyone can, Doug is the man to get you up and running again. Like Dean said, I think it's too addicting to walk away from.

If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

Brian

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Damn dude that sucks, but the important thing is that you are ok and you will race another day. From what you have said the R seems fixable, I'm glad it did not touch the motor.

What happened to your 03? the same thing?

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
4.6 Rocket said:
From what you have said the R seems fixable, I'm glad it did not touch the motor.

What happened to your 03? the same thing?
Yeah, I'm VERY happy the fire was contained to the rear and didn't come close to the motor. It took forever to put the fire out and all I could do pray that it wouldn't spread forward.

As for the 03 story, you can read about it below (see Lessons Learned from My VIR Disaster). It really sucks to post 2 bad incidents in less than 2 months.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Fred, I am SO sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. But once again, glad to hear you are OK.

Flying Fred said:
It really sucks to post 2 bad incidents in less than 2 months.

Man, your insurance agent must really love you right about now..... Any early indication on the coverage for this incident?

Andy M

Established Member
Fred,

Dude... I am SO sorry to hear this!! :(

However, I am REALLY REALLY glad to hear that you are ok! After all, the car can either be fixed or replaced.

Keep us posted on what you find out as you tear it more apart...

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
DAVESVT2000 said:
Man, your insurance agent must really love you right about now..... Any early indication on the coverage for this incident?
This was a race and there is no way I would ask about that. Besides the collision and similar coverage items were dropped on this car a long time ago.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Andy M said:
Keep us posted on what you find out as you tear it more apart...
Well the cause was unquestionably the fuel line. Note to all you guys running 00Rs that you may want to consider a solid (braided?) line of some sort.

The following items are "for sure" replacements for the car. Fuel cell and pump; trunk lid; bumper; shocks; bushings; wiring harness/lights; rear lexan window; diff cooler; rear brakes and ABS sensors; rear CCWs (probably). We won't know about the differential itself or other rear suspension components until the car is torn apart.

Users who are viewing this thread