Lightning purchase...advice on this one

Jack Burton

Established Member
Ford : F-150: eBay Motors (item 400138315541 end time Aug-20-10 23:34:51 PDT)

Seems like a good deal...but, I have some concerns. I see the gauges on the a-pillar, so I'm assuming the previous owner had some mods on it. Not sure which ones at the moment.

Also, look at the intake above the blower. Any particular reason for the fabricated intake? That concerns me.

Also, look at the pic of the steering wheel. It looks like there is a worn area about the size of a thumb print on the right side. Not sure if it's from honking off races or what.

The wiring on the battery appears as if a system was hooked up earlier. I'm not sure if it was a younger guy that had it set up and was beating it.

I'm a previous terminator owner, and I know a lot about those cars...I know a bit about lightnings, but not as much as I would like.

The price is right on this, but I'm a bit worried about it. The truck would be my dd, so I need something reliable. I may be right, or I may be wrong. But this truck worries me a bit. What do you lightning owners think?

MJG

Established Member
The intake is a JLP piece, which is good, expensive unit. .: Johnny Lightning Performance

Clearly this truck has been pullied and tuned (hopefully). With the aftermarket intake, boost and a/f guages, previous owner was boosting the truck.

Take it for a rip, have a local lightning known tuner to take a look if possible. If buying, stay outof boost and go get a tune asap. Never know what the previous owner has done and also I've heard of dealers resetting tunes to stock without setting stock pullies back
Overall,looks like a good truck, with the exception of the totally wrong sized tires.

baja5bss

Established Member
I would be concerned with the check engine light on,at first I thought the ignition was on,but the engine wasnt running.However the rpm gauge and boost gauge both say the engine is running.Also I think it might be me,but that hard top cover looks like its to long for the lightning.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I would be concerned with the check engine light on,at first I thought the ignition was on,but the engine wasnt running.However the rpm gauge and boost gauge both say the engine is running.Also I think it might be me,but that hard top cover looks like its to long for the lightning.

first thing I noticed on the interior was the SES light. I would think it is with either Vac leak or O2 sensors with aftermarket exhaust. I would lean towards some type of VAC leak, look at the factory gauge and then the aftermarket gauge. I know the factory gauge is not that accurate but that seems a little too far off from each other. I also noticed the JLP crankcase breather...I am betting previous owner removed the tune before selling....

Jack Burton

Established Member
Yeah, I think I'm going to stay away from that one. Probably just pick up a lightning that is stock, or very mildly modded, that way I won't have to worry as much...for the most part.

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
Yeah, I think I'm going to stay away from that one. Probably just pick up a lightning that is stock, or very mildly modded, that way I won't have to worry as much...for the most part.

just because it's stock doesn't mean it was taken care of. probably the opposite. Most people on here have modified their trucks and take excellent care of them.

Any of them could have been driven hard and abused!

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread