Lightning pulley on a Harley?

Tim03cobra

Established Member
I was wanting to know how much of a power upgrade a lightning pulley would be on a Harley. Yes, I'm talking about the upper pulley. The one on the truck is just a little bigger than the L pulley I have. Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks Tim

Last edited:

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
I believe your is a 3.1 or 3.2.
The lightning is a 2.93,if this is the case then youll get 3-4lbs more boost.
Youll need a tune to go with it.

Tune and pulley will get you 30rwhp/60rwtq..........youll feel it!

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Talk to Mark at LFP.......lightningforceperformance.com He is the best HAve them put combo pulley,programer,and cai @ 90hp increase on a L..............shpuld be about the same for the HD

footballer9

Switching pulleys

could you keep me posted on how the lightning pulley works with your harley truck and if u need a new e-fan or water pump for it. Also if anyone has any suggestions on which exhaust to put on my harley truck its an 03' supercharged. I was looking at the silver bullet cat-back on teamjdm.com and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on that.......

203Cree

Established Member
same motor, same s/c, so if you put the same upper pulley on the HD as on the L, you SHOULD see what a stock L puts down. I could be wrong, but based on everything I've seen ( like if you buy a 6 lb lower for an L, you only get 4 lbs on an HD with the same lower pulley ) I think that's how it should turn out.

SVORay

Established Member
As stated above they use the same motor but the Lightning came with 4lbs of boost more. This is due to the smaller upper pulley. I read that it's better for a harley guy to simply replace the lower pulley than to risk damaging the snout of the blower by changing the upper pulley. If you do this get a custom dyno tune from someone who knows our motors. I wouldn't use an email tune or a tune off a predator since they may cause your motor to run lean at WOT.

As for the exhaust question...If you like a ton of noise, go with a 2/3's Bassani set up. I just installed a Bassani SS catback and a Bassani SS mid pipes w/cats on my 03' Harley. I guess I'm getting to old because this crap is way to loud for me lol I think their catback system is nice but their cats are about the same as gutted cats to me.

Hope it helps
Ray

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
L pulley on the HD's a must

I have a Lighting upper and a 4# lower both from LFP. I run a K&N FIPK cold air intake, LFP idler kit, EM grounding kit and soon a EM postive wiring kit also. Brisk LSG plug's, Diablo tune , LFP 58 " traction bars ( chromed ) and the Hotchkis TVS suspsion with the Hotchkis/Bilstien shocks. With a conserative tune , 16 deg. timing and a A/F ratio of 11.8 I have recently been to the dyno and produced a sweet 403 RWHP and 506 Flbs. of TQ. On a 2003 HD. Re: A tune is everything and a must.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
stock for stock the L has 2 more lbs of boost
L= 8lbs HD= 6lbs
upper pulley is the only differance besides a bit of a tune change

Users who are viewing this thread