Lightning or Harley S/C on an Expedition?

USMCracing

Established Member
Would a a Supercharger of a Lightning or Harley work on a 98 Expedition with the 5.4L? If so how hard would it be to install? What all would be needed from the Lightning/Harley? I really want to know, I found a Harley S/C on ebay that looks like it have most of the parts that would needed if this is possible. Thanks
Steven

ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=7930836080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by USMCracing
Would a a Supercharger of a Lightning or Harley work on a 98 Expedition with the 5.4L? If so how hard would it be to install? What all would be needed from the Lightning/Harley? I really want to know, I found a Harley S/C on ebay that looks like it have most of the parts that would needed if this is possible. Thanks
Steven

ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=7930836080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

The problem is the Expedition has a higher compression ratio than a Lightning. You'd have to run low boost on a stock engine.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
8 psi should be fine with the 9.5:1 compression ratio. All of the aftermarket blowers for the 5.4 run about 8 psi.

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
The intake manifold needs modified & boost pressure will have to be adjusted, along with airflow/fuel ratio.

I'd watch and make sure the tuner adjusts the boost upward. A lot of street kits start out at 6psi, and if your compression ratio is above what the stock 5.4l Lightning is (around 8-8.5) you don't want to screw up engine internals.....so make sure the right pulleys and belts are set for the proper tension.
More belt tension gives you faster supercharger RPM & higher intake manifold pressure, and the upper/lower pulley combos will influence the boost pressure.

If it works, you will like the change.....and the EXP would probably pull the side off a house.

:D

USMCracing

Established Member
I read some where that it wouldn't work on the 98 Expedition but would work on a 99 up Expedition, something to do with he heads. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread