Lightning or Cobra swap?

JoeS197

Established Member
I don't understand this thread at all. OP, you asked for advice regarding a Lightning vs. Cobra swap. You gave no other criteria for the comparison. I may have been brash with my responses (I cant stand threads asking for advice when that person is really looking for justification)......but everyone did exactly what you asked for. There really is no comparison between a Lightning motor and a cobra motor. The 4V will outperform the 5.4 in every category, including potential.

If you have access to a cheap L motor, why even make this thread? Is a cobra motor even an option for you or were you just looking for validation?

Yeah I asked for advice not hate. I have access to one but if I knew the cobra engine was that much better I would save a little more and go for a used cobra drivetrain, all I wanted to know was what would be the better motor to go with money wise and I'm guessing cobra based on everyone's responses.

myslowstang

Established Member
Yeah I asked for advice not hate. I have access to one but if I knew the cobra engine was that much better I would save a little more and go for a used cobra drivetrain, all I wanted to know was what would be the better motor to go with money wise and I'm guessing cobra based on everyone's responses.

Yes any 4.6 4v over the 5.4 2v. I much MUCH rather have the 03/04 Cobra motor. It's got a iron block for strength and has a "factory built" bottom end. No internal work needed until you hit 650+rwhp and with simple bolt-ons=450rwhp, ported blower=500rwhp, blower swap=600+ on pump gas and 700+ on race gas!

If that motor was too expensive then I'd look into the Mach1 motors. They're a 4v high compression motor. Great n/a power.

Then would come the 99/01 Cobra motors. They're just like the Mach1 motors but with a lower compression. Still make good power n/a. Also look into the 96-98 Cobra motors but they have slightly less power then the 99/01 Cobras I believe.

You can also look into other 4v ford motors as well. The Lincoln Mark VIII, Lincoln Continental, and Mercury Marauder had 4.6 4v motors. A 4.6 in any form would be a better preforming and will be a better platform for a build over the 5.4 2v you're talking about.

If none of those fit then I'd save up for a coyote motor or.... yes, I'll say it... a LS motor. If you want to be different then that'll be the way to do. A lot of ppl will hate on you for doing a LS swap but hey if you want unique that's probably the way to go. I've seen more lightning swaps then LS swaps and the LS motors are smaller, lighter, make more power, and have a lot of aftermarket parts to pick from then the 5.4 2v.

I'd stay away from lightning swaps but that's just me. The "coolness" of the blower sticking out of the hood will decrease your visibility and I wouldn't feel comfortable not being able to see to my right but if that's what you like then go for it.

stickytack

Established Member
From my understanding, the Lightning motor is a lot heavier. Personally, I also think it looks bada$$, but you have to decide whether or not it's worth the front end weight gain.

Does anyone have the info on how heavy the lightning motor weighs compared to a terminator motor?

Users who are viewing this thread