Lightning in RAIN

inVision

Established Member
How well does the Lightning drive in the rain and on wet roads? How about wet gravel? Thinking of the possibility of getting BACK into a Lightning but I'm moving from So-Cal to Oregon and I know the conditions won't be the same! Thanks for any feedback ;-)

203Cree

Established Member
2004SVTLightnin said:
umm, driving in the rain with an L will make you an expert driver. You will learn to powerslide, drift, do 1000ft burnouts, etc. hahahahaha

werd.gif

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I hydoplaned my First L on a Rainy Day when I switched lanes and this is what was left after I rolled twice down a small incline on the side of the Hwy.

29206-165-13753.jpg

29206-165-13754.jpg

I also in need for some new tires just did not know I needed them that bad :bash:

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
dude, I probably drive my L more often in the rain than not ( Northwest WA ) .... its like any other truck in the rain.....theres no weight over the back tires so you gotta be carefull......good tires help alot too......stay outta the boost and don't romp on it or it will downshift and :burnout: .................... IMO my '94 Cobra was worse to drive in the rain.....

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
damn 00! that sucks. glad your not as bad off as the L. btw-i think your dome light 's on. lol.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I guess I've never understood the compliants about these trucks in the rain. If you drive like you have a brain and understand that you need to be more cautious then you are fine. Even with my bald F1s and common sense I did fine.

Chi3f

Established Member
rains nothin compared to snow... tried it once because i was curious. It spent the rest of the winter in the garage lol

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
i have no idea how somepeople slide or spin or rollover in their trucks. i have never had a problem on wet road and dont plan too
hell i drove on bald tires in my mustang in the snow and never had an issue
and it was always the mustang that sucked in the rain, if it was raining i took the truck

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
I guess I've never understood the compliants about these trucks in the rain. If you drive like you have a brain and understand that you need to be more cautious then you are fine. Even with my bald F1s and common sense I did fine.

my thoughts exactly, I drove on bald and I mean BALD F1's for a couple months and never had a problem. Some people are just retarded and don't adjust their driving to the conditions of the roads. :shrug:

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
CscottsSS said:
my thoughts exactly, I drove on bald and I mean BALD F1's for a couple months and never had a problem. Some people are just retarded and don't adjust their driving to the conditions of the roads. :shrug:

Thats just because we live in Lexington...these people here crash if someone spills a coke on the street.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
My first time driving in the rain, in my L after my pulley, i could spin them from 60.. I have pretty new F1s too.

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
I drive like a near-sighted old lady when the road is wet...very slow and gingerly. Light footed on the accelerator, don't follow too close, and nice/easy lane changes. And I NEVER give her much gas when taking a corner while the road is wet. Knock on wood.
I tried to pass someone in a car in front of me onetime just after the rain had stopped. I was going about 45mph when I tried this, the tires broke loose, and she tried to get sideways :eek: . Luckily I had enough sense to take my foot off the accerlerator and let her catch traction again. Needless to say, no one has to worry about me passing them if the road is wet. :bash:

Last edited:
Nvr_Spds said:
My first time driving in the rain, in my L after my pulley, i could spin them from 60.. I have pretty new F1s too.

The day after I got my truck I was merging at 80mph and stomped it and got sideways for a good bit.

Peel Away

Established Member
00SVT said:
I hydoplaned my First L on a Rainy Day when I switched lanes and this is what was left after I rolled twice down a small incline on the side of the Hwy.

29206-165-13753.jpg

29206-165-13754.jpg

I also in need for some new tires just did not know I needed them that bad :bash:

Damn that sucks man! The same thing happened to me going down the interstate, except I only battled a small tree. Luckily, I came out without a scratch *knock on wood* and about 5k in damage to the rear of the truck. As to not knowing how to drive it, I wasn't doing anything overly stupid, but it really never occured to me about the lightness of the rear, so I was going around 65-70 in light rain, and hit some standing water, powerslided into a dicth and hit that stupid tree.

Mini_K

Established Member
I have hankook tires and my L sticks pretty damm good in the rain. It seems to stick better than the old vette I had......well as long as you dont give it any gas :-D

Dixiesys

Established Member
I owned an 87 Dakota for years, got it as I graduated HS (1990) and kept it for 7 years and 160K miles, I had some nice 15x8 rims on it and the extra tire made that thing sooooooooo easy to hydroplane, it also had no antilock brakes so it would lock up without even blinking on wet roads, I learned how to (or rather how not to) drive a squirrely truck on wet roads in her. I had to "ditch it" at least 3 times to avoid sliding into someone's rear end at one particularly slick redlight near where I live now but I was lucky each time I was able to just drive up and out of the ditch after the light went green.

So the L might be a bit squirrely on wet roads but it ain't got jack on that old Dakota, now if we have another one of those beloved ice storms we see from time to time I am curious how the L will do on ice, my theory is, not very well, unless I weigh down the rear end with something.

I have noticed the L is prone to hydroplaning, it's pretty bad about it, not as bad as that old Dakota was, but still pretty bad. I definitely don't let her open up if the roads are wet!

Users who are viewing this thread