Lightning Force Performance "Deuce" Idler Failure

freeman42

Established Member
Last Friday, I had a pretty odd issue with my LFP Deuce idler setup. I was driving down the road, maybe 30mph, and it sounded like I ran over a branch or something in the road. I looked in my rearview and didn't see anything, so I kept going. A few miles later, it seemed like I was really down on power, so I checked my factory boost gauge (which I honestly don't look at that much), and saw even under 3/4 throttle I wasn't making any boost. Suddenly, a fairly violent pop came from under the hood, followed by a smack-smack-smack noise. So I pulled over, and to my surprise, my blower belt was nowhere to be found, as well as the passenger side idler. The inner race was still firmly mounted to the bracket, as shown below. There was remnants of the bearing cage strewn about under the hood, and on top of the radiator shroud.

After some investigation, I figured out that the idler bearing had completely failed, causing the pulley and outer bearing race to be ejected from the vehicle and the blower belt to droop down around the crank. After a while, the loose belt wrapped around the crank pulley and snagged, taking with it the tensioner pulley and about the last 1.5" of the tensioner arm. On its way out,t he tensioner pulley put a couple fatal gouges in my 4# lower ring.

Yesterday night, I found the idler pulley along the roadside, with the outer bearing race still attached. Neither race looks exceptionally damaged, leading me to believe the bearing cage came apart, allowing the balls inside to all slop to one side and the entire bearing to seperate.

I called Lightning Force Performance last Friday, and after 8 calls to their desk someone finally picked up. I sent in pics of the damage, and luckily the idlers are still under warranty. However, I never got a call back before they took off for the weekend, and after calling them again today it turns out the guy I talked to last week "isn't in today", and will call me back tomorrow.

Has anyone else ever seen an idler bearing come apart like this? I've had plenty that squeak and grind, but never one that completely came apart with zero warning.

AwcmOhG.jpg

freeman42

Established Member
On a related matter, how safe is it to drive the thing without a blower belt? It seems to idle and drive fine, just fairly gutless. I figure the blower bypass is staying open, and the ECU is cutting fuel to match the reduced airflow, but I want to be sure. I'm not in a place where I can afford to tear the thing down because of a melted piston or something equally catastrophic.

freeman42

Established Member
I figured as much, but I wanted to be sure. The funny part is I didn't really notice the lack of power for a good 5-10 miles around town, because I can't really get into the boost around here when it's wet. Hankook 295's ain't worth a damn on Pacific Northwestern concrete in January.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Check the outside diameter of the bearing and if the pulley isn't ruined or bent out of round, you could possibly just get a new bearing from NAPA for less than $10 and rebuild it yourself.

I had a Metco Aux idler bracket snap and drop into the blower drive of my GT500 once, I wasn't very pleased with what it did to the belt. I just ended up buying new idler from another vendor and luckily I had a spare belt kicking around.

Edit: Just noticed the entire tensioner snapped off as well, that sucks, there isn't a lot of options for fixing that piece...

Last edited:

freeman42

Established Member
I would try installing a new bearing in the old idler, if the thing hadn't gotten run over a dozen times while it was bouncing around on the road for a few days. Now, I've got not one but TWO new idlers on the way from LFP, plus a new belt and lower pulley ring. Let's hope the quality control is a little tighter on the new bearings.

I'm having a hard time locating the legit part number for the s/c belt tensioner. I think its a Motorcraft BT63, but I'm not 100% sure. I've found a couple of places listing a part number, but when I go to Rock Auto or eBay or O'Reillys, that p/n is for a smooth pulley tensioner (obviously for the main belt). They ain't cheap, either....Motorcraft BT63 (if it's the right one) is $60 around here. I'm already out $150 for the new belt and lower ring.

Bonestk87

Established Member
I bought the deuce setup up from LFP also. I haven't installed it but have read on other forums that the bearings suck. I'm going to go buy some good bearings from Purvous Bearing and be done with it. I also plan on buying a billet Thumper Racing Tensioner so I won't have to worry about it snapping off.

Users who are viewing this thread