Lightning down,Code Question???

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
About 2 Weeks ago I was out in my Lightning and everything was fine,I stopped at a Store for a while and when I started Driving again it felt like my Lightning had a small miss.But as I drove it seemed to work it's way out a little,so I decided to go to the Parts Store to get some Gas Treatment because I got some Bad Gas last Summer and it felt kind of like it did when that happened.Well after this stop when I came back out to start it up,it wouldn't Start at all.So I bought a new Fuel Filter & put it on in the Parking Lot,and I got it to start up after a few cranks.I also put a bottle of Seafoam in the Gas right after that,and it ran fine for a few Days.Then I tried to start it up one Morning and I cranked on it & cranked on it,and it finally started,and when I drove it everything seemed fine.After 2 more times of this Very Hard morning Starting & then running fine my Check Engine light came on,so I checked it out when I got Home & it throwed a Lean Bank 1 & 2 Code.I don't know if it had anything to do with it,but it seemed like the colder it was outside the more I had to crank it over before it would Start those couple of times.But anyway after it threw the Lean Code I haven't drove it anymore,so I finally got time to check it out a couple days ago.I decided to see if I could get it to start,and after Cranking on it for a while with nothing happening I gave up.Well I had another brand new Fuel Filter so I put it on,but even after that it still wouldn't Start.When it's cranking it gives a cough every few cranks but that's about it,so I gave up for now.And after seeing a list of around 25 things that can cause a Lean Code I don't have a clue where to Start,so what do you Guy's think I should check out first?And THANK'S Big Time in advance for any Help...

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
sorry dude im ****ing drunk right now...so forgive me.
but you are getting a lean code, have you gone through and checked all your vac hoses to make sure they havent rotted through?
the one on the bottom of the lower intake manifold seems to give up quite a bit.
in my case the little bastard on the intake elbow softened up and would throw the same code

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
PCV fitting that Mikes mentioned is normally the culprit for lean codes on both banks.

Check all or your vac lines and fittings on the top side of the engine before you start ripping stuff off. You can also try to spray some carb cleaner down behind the S/C to see if the idle changes. If it changes then the lower fitting as bad and it is allowing the vapors to enter the intake and they are burned which changes the idles speed.

operator1391

Established Member
i had the same codes and after changing the elbow on the lower intake my check engine light turned off, but I would check fuel pressure and all your vacume hoses.start with the 3 hoses under the inake elbow

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
PCV fitting that Mikes mentioned is normally the culprit for lean codes on both banks.

Check all or your vac lines and fittings on the top side of the engine before you start ripping stuff off. You can also try to spray some carb cleaner down behind the S/C to see if the idle changes. If it changes then the lower fitting as bad and it is allowing the vapors to enter the intake and they are burned which changes the idles speed.

I swear if i ever rip the manifold off..im plugging that damned line!
as it stands if i can find a vacuum cap for that line im gonna be changing a few things on my oil sep setup...its what a 3/8in vac hose right?

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
Thanks Guys i'll check the VAC Lines Tomorrow,but would Unmetered Air cause it not to start at all?

Users who are viewing this thread