Lightning cost too much $"for nothing"!!

team808

Established Member
The truck is back at jlp and he has no idea what is wrong with it.I brought it to him with heads and cams and some bolt on pieces and it was running great.He installed a bottom end,"r exhaust",2.6 kenne bell with power plenum,80lb injectors,new coil packs,fuel pumps,valve body basically the whole truck is done except for the tranny.The problem is when you hit w.o.t the trucks boost shoots up to 26 and shuts down.It does that about 1 out of two times you open it up.He tried changing the battery today,new plugs...and still pops off.Now he is trying to say it could be the valve springs on the heads...saying there too weak to hold the power..I am in alot of money and now if this doesnt work i have no idea what to do..and neither does he.Did anyone ever have a simlar problem like this??I said for him to change out the 2.6 with another one..he doesnt feel so..

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Ask for the tune money back since he hasn't tuned it to your liking and then take it to JDM since you seem to be close to his shop.

team808

Established Member
This is acually my third time bringin it back to him.I just wish someone had a problem like this so i could get it over with.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Are you experiencing fuel wash? If I don't have at least 1/2 tank of fuel I can't go WOT or I'll fuel wash my fuel pumps. Thats why I'm going to cut my tank down to 12 gallons.

Last edited:

chip moore

Established Member
I met with JLP one year at bowling green. I will never talk to him again. And I had a friend from Florence AL with a silver 02 L that Johnny built his motor, did a KB, etc and had continuous problems.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I met with JLP one year at bowling green. I will never talk to him again. And I had a friend from Florence AL with a silver 02 L that Johnny built his motor, did a KB, etc and had continuous problems.

and why wont you talk to em again?

_XXX_

Established Member
I have heard of fuel wash however I thought that was when you flood your engine and the gas removes the oil from pistons, rings, and cyl. wall. I never heard of fuel wash occuring from having a half tank of gas?:dw::??:

chip moore

Established Member
He means the fuel leaves the pump under hard acceleration, meaning the fuel washes to the rear of the tank and uncovers the pumps.

pipejob1

Established Member
I was going to bring my L there for parts to install and a tune. Should i not go there.are there alot of people unhappy with there work. I thought they had some of the fastest trucks out there. And all they realy work on is Lightning,harley trucks,cobra You would think they should no them better then anybody

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
Its JLP's problem not yours he has to fix it, if it was fine before that its obveisly his fault. You shouldn't have to pay a dime for them tofix it.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
I was going to bring my L there for parts to install and a tune. Should i not go there.are there alot of people unhappy with there work. I thought they had some of the fastest trucks out there. And all they realy work on is Lightning,harley trucks,cobra You would think they should no them better then anybody

Go elsehwhere. I have a buddy that had a very similar experience with JLP... spent a ton of money for almost the same build as the OP, and JLP couldnt get it running right. My friend had to go to JJ to get it finished and running properly. JLP was actually going to charge him more to diagnose the problems from his motor and build!! Great customer service there. You may spend a little more with JDM, but they will get the job done right, JJ too.

OP, good luck, if hes going to keep charging you, you may as well take it elsewhere. This guy JLP is a fraud in my eyes.

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
Go elsehwhere. I have a buddy that had a very similar experience with JLP... spent a ton of money for almost the same build as the OP, and JLP couldnt get it running right. My friend had to go to JJ to get it finished and running properly. JLP was actually going to charge him more to diagnose the problems from his motor and build!! Great customer service there. You may spend a little more with JDM, but they will get the job done right, JJ too.

OP, good luck, if hes going to keep charging you, you may as well take it elsewhere. This guy JLP is a fraud in my eyes.

I just done a FULL engine build with JJ and can only say good things. His tuning support is pretty cool too and very easy.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
I just done a FULL engine build with JJ and can only say good things. His tuning support is pretty cool too and very easy.

Good choice man! You will never have to worry about JJ leaving you high and dry. Good luck with the new found power!:thumbsup:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
You never answered my question. How much fuel was in the tank when this happened? If you had less than 1/2 a tank then I suspect your fuel washing the fuel pumps. It's very common on high HP Lightnings. And very easy to figure out, try it with a little more than 1/2 a tank of fuel and see if it still cuts out.

Users who are viewing this thread